Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Day of Christmas Period

• 09-01-2018 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

What is the best day of Christmas? And why? I think they all have their attractions:

Christmas Eve: Having nice wine and a chat to open things up. The excitement and looking forward to the big day after it make CE a special day.
    Christmas Day: The meal, wine, a chat, have a good film to watch and it is heaven.
    St Stephen's Day: Basically a more relaxed repeat of CD. A lovely day to relax and take it easy.
    New Year's Eve: I find this can be a lovely day in rather than going out. Nice meal, wine and a good DVD.
    New Year's Day: Generally we treat it similar to Christmas day. Nice meal and wine, good film to watch.
    The Epiphany: It is important to do something nice to mark the true end of Christmas around the epiphany (or the weekend after it if the 6th is on a day before work). Christmas is what one makes it and the epiphany should be embraced to remind oneself to do something nice every month and keep the spirit of Christmas alive for the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

All very good points.

Christmas Eve is really my favourite, if I can manage to not be too busy.
    Quiet, and sort of expectant. Once it is sunset, I love putting the Baby into the Crib and lighting the Christmas candle at the front of the house; then have a drink.

Epiphany has its own flavour too, - the arrival of the Kings, scoffing up the last of the Christmas food: planning next year's decorations!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

OMG, so two weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭ballyargus

No wine on the Epiphany??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

tedpan wrote: »
    OMG, so two weeks ago..

Not in this forum it’s not. It’s Christmas every day here. We’re what Wizzard sang about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas eve is my favourite day. The excitement, the anticipation of an entire season reaching fever pitch.

Then the night time comes and there is just a magic feeling in the air. And you can almost feel the world grind to a halt and stop to be around each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

St Stephen's day. Its all about sport and to get out there, meet up with friends, hobbies, sport, play football, swim, have fun and play with friends like your a child again.

TV is for long boring winter nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I do like Christmas eve, but I love watching the children open their presents on Christmas day, then watching them look at all the bits and bobs they got over the next few days. I can't narrow it down, it's the whole thing right up to New Year's Eve.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

tedpan wrote:
    OMG, so two weeks ago..

Loughc wrote:
    Not in this forum it’s not. It’s Christmas every day here. We’re what Wizzard sang about.

Twas supposed to be wit! Merry Christmas to one and all!

tedpan wrote: »
    Twas supposed to be wit!

As was my retort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I love the 2 or 3 days before Christmas itself, with Christmas Eve being the peak. Rare that I enjoy Christmas Day itself as much as I do christmas eve, (2017 came close though) that may change over time when the kids get older etc. but at the moment their excitement on the eve is as infectious as it comes & I buzz off that hugely.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
Advertisement