Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brokenshire broke a province

Options
  • 08-01-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

James Brokenshire has resigned as Northern Ireland Secretary in advance of a British cabinet reshuffle. Apparently on health grounds.

Not a stellar performer. He has presided over a situation in which neither of the main parties in the Local Assembly want to deal with each other, each for their own selfish reasons. <SNIP> No name calling please.

How could a responsible person in that job have been a prominent advocate of Brexit? If she couldn't see the danger it would pose to the peace process in Northern Ireland she was either breathtakingly stupid or just didn't give a damn. Either of which explanations should have disqualified her from the position, IMHO.

Wonder who the new person will be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

James Brokenshire has resigned as Northern Ireland Secretary in advance of a British cabinet reshuffle. Apparently on health grounds.

Not a stellar performer. He has presided over a situation in which neither of the main parties in the Local Assembly want to deal with each other, each for their own selfish reasons. <SNIP> No name calling please.

How could a responsible person in that job have been a prominent advocate of Brexit? If she couldn't see the danger it would pose to the peace process in Northern Ireland she was either breathtakingly stupid or just didn't give a damn. Either of which explanations should have disqualified her from the position, IMHO.

Apparently he needs lung surgery so it sounds quite serious. Best of luck to him and his family.

I wouldn't wish the job of Secretary of State for Northern Ireland on my worst enemy. Imagine being locked in a room with SF reps on one side and DUP reps on the other bleating on about themmuns and stuff that happened decades ago.

Brexit makes an already crap job ten times worse and it needs someone skilful but there's a serious dearth of talent about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well that doesn't make sense, does it? Fair enough, delete my caustic description of Brokenshire's predecessor but at least try to leave it so that the sentence makes sense.

All I was doing was saying that Brokenshire was preferable to his predecessor, Teresa Villiers, who in my view (and toning my stated expression down to meet Boards standards) was in dereliction of duty by being a prominent Brexiteer while serving as Norther Ireland secretary of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

murphaph wrote: »
    Apparently he needs lung surgery so it sounds quite serious. Best of luck to him and his family.

I wouldn't wish the job of Secretary of State for Northern Ireland on my worst enemy. Imagine being locked in a room with SF reps on one side and DUP reps on the other bleating on about themmuns and stuff that happened decades ago.

Brexit makes an already crap job ten times worse and it needs someone skilful but there's a serious dearth of talent about at the moment.

Better link here.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/james-brokenshire-resigns-cabinet-reshuffle-northern-ireland-secretary-latest-news-updates-a8147621.html
    Mr Brokenshire - who has held the job since July 2016 - is preparing to undergo major surgery within the next few weeks to treat a lesion to his right lung.

A source close to Mr Brokenshire told The Independent: “He has a small lesion on his right lung and is getting major surgery in the next couple of weeks.”

In his resignation letter, Mr Brokenshire said: “Clearly my long term health and my family are my priorities and I intend to proceed with the surgery at the earlier opportunity.

“While the operation is expected to address the issue and I will get back to work relatively quickly, recovering from the surgery and regaining my strength will take several weeks.”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In fairness politicians in Northern Ireland would break anyones spirit! He was a huge improvement over Teresa Villiers IMO.
    I wish him a speedy recovery.

Not a stellar performer. He has presided over a situation in which neither of the main parties in the Local Assembly want to deal with each other, each for their own selfish reasons.

OK, he is no Mo Mowlem, but what exactly were you expecting him to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

All I was doing was saying that Brokenshire was preferable to his predecessor, Teresa Villiers, who in my view (and toning my stated expression down to meet Boards standards) was in dereliction of duty by being a prominent Brexiteer while serving as Norther Ireland secretary of state.

Quite the opposite.

Northern Irish citizens are not his/her constituents.

The NI secretary should not be partisan. What has their stance on Brexit got to do with the carrying out of their duties? The NI secretary serves on a cabinet which collectively voted to enact article 50. If the Secretary was anti-brexit and refused to vote with the government, then they would be in dereliction of their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

As tough a job as you can find in politics tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Quite the opposite.

Northern Irish citizens are not his/her constituents.

The NI secretary should not be partisan. What has their stance on Brexit got to do with the carrying out of their duties? The NI secretary serves on a cabinet which collectively voted to enact article 50. If the Secretary was anti-brexit and refused to vote with the government, then they would be in dereliction of their duties.
    Villiers was a keen Brexiter before it was party policy.

Advertisement