Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will you be doing differently for Christmas 2018?

Options
  • 02-01-2018 2:31pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what would you change from Christmas 2017 than can help improve next Christmas?

Did anything go wrong? Any mistakes that we can learn from? Do you have any tips to help others have the best, most stress free Christmas yet?

Was there something that worked really well that you would recommend others to do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm under orders that we're staying at home and not visiting anybody on Christmas day 2018.

She also wants to spend a night or two in a hotel on new year's eve......not really liking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We squeezed a bit too much into the days leading up to Christmas including catering for 30 family members in the house on the 23rd and also going to Causey Farm on the 22nd.
    Several days of preparation went into the 23rd so we were exhausted by the time Christmas Day arrived.
    It'll be another family member's turn to host the event next year so at least we'll have all the fun but none of the work.
    Apart from that we tried to plan as little as possible because we wanted the kids to enjoy themselves with their new toys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm going to come back later with a list! :pac:

One thing is that I will be aiming for the 25th November to have my decorations ready to go, and all my presents bought and wrapped. That way I can go into December with no trepidation and stress.
    Like Heroditas, I was wrecked coming into Christmas this/last year and want to be relaxed and organised for this Christmas. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh- and as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to have all the decorations put away neatly with all the ones I don't use or that have passed their sell by date, already thrown away.

I am going to buy a few new decorations in August when the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens and that should be all I need.
    This year, I bought a new stairs garland, pop-up tree for my kitchen, a Christmas village scene in Woodies and a new wreath and two boxes of crackers (one for next year) that were below half price in Debenhams, so that reduces what's needed next year. :)

I am going to buy all my icing and marzipan at the same time as I buy my Christmas cake ingredients, and I will wrap my presents as they are bought, so I don't end up with one big pile of wrapping.

I'm also going to try and put away a tenner or so a week into a Christmas savings fund, so I'll have a few hundred to kick start proceedings by the time winter rolls back around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Posy wrote: »

I'm also going to try and put away a tenner or so a week into a Christmas savings fund, so I'll have a few hundred to kick start proceedings by the time winter rolls back around. :)

I'm seriously considering doing the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Trying to convince the other half that we spend Christmas abroad in warmer climes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

More time just chilling at home.
    Stockpile the presents throughout the year.

Move the tree from the corner to the middle of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'll be making sure that any gifts that need to be sent to Australia are sent in Nov. I sent one at the start of Dec, before the last posting date for Australia and it didn't arrive until 2 days after Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

More time at home on the couch in front of the fire just the three of us munching on chocolate and watching Christmas films.
    All presents wrapped by the time the tree goes up. I love having presents under the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Patww79 wrote: »
    Really considering not buying anything at all and booking into a hotel from the 24th to the 27th. Was something I'd never have contemplated but anyone I've talked to that has done it has loved it.

We met a lovely couple who did just that this year. They booked into a hotel from the 24th to the 27th. Her birthday was the 24th and his birthday was the 27th of December, they were 44 years married and just
    Lovely to talk to.

They raved about staying in the hotel for Christmas. Personally it wouldn’t be for me but they seemed very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd love to go to a hotel for Christmas some year but I'd only do it if it was somewhere really incredible like Adare Manor.

Next year I'll do Christmas morning breakfast better. When we're at home I have a carby, chocolatey breakfast but because I wasn't home this year I ended up having a fry. (It was delicious but it's not really my thing.) Next Christmas I'm going to bake a chocolate swirl bread and turn it into french toast.

Also on the breakfast theme, I bought some organic oranges to make truffles because they were unwaxed but I ended up not using them. I brought them with me to my parents' house and they used them to make mimosas on Christmas morning. They were the best mimosas I've tasted. The oranges were super sweet and really tasted like orange. (Weird, but some oranges can be bland.) I'm not sure if it's because they were organic or not but I'll definitely pick them up again next Christmas in the hope that the result will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I wish I had more appreciative people to cook and bake for. I was disappointed in my Christmas dinner this year it was so blah but that’s what the guests want so there you go. I’d actually love to not cook but good luck with that. ;)

I’d love to have a nice breakfast but with just the two of us for breakfast it seems pointless when I’ve to be starting the dinner anyway. I’d love to have an evening dinner to make the day a little nicer and more festive but again, family wouldn’t be up for it I’d say.

Otherwise I’d like to pay some visits in the run up to Christmas or maybe host cocktails or something the week before.

I’d love to decorate the house more but I honestly can’t see the point because of cats playing with anything that remotely dangles and having to make sure we’ve no trip or bumping hazards for family.

I think my best plan is just to enjoy the run up to it because actual Christmas Day and the bits around it kind of annoy me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

For me, I'm not cooking a big dinner on New Year's Day. To hell with it! I cook dinner every other day of the year & normally I feel obliged to ask the outlaws over for New Years Day as we don't go to them on Christmas cos we have my folks. For 2018, I'm going out for dinner and they can come along if they wish!

Also going to try do the buy and wrap thing too - not going to have great expectations on that front though!

Will start my Christmas Club in the butchers next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think I could ever do the hotel thing for Christmas myself because it would all be to formal, food would be another issue and I'd find it un-relaxing but some people love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Not doing Christmas dinner. No point. I don't eat it, toddler couldn't care less and husband always finds something to complain about.

Going to go away 27-30. Just somewhere in Ireland, with a warm pool, a spa and room service. :)

Less *stuff*, the amount of things and packaging that came into the house is huge this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We agreed that we definitely wont be hosting on Christmas Day 2018, the work that went into it, including all the housework etc. was huge. We were knackered from Stephens day onwards & thats no doubt a factor in the Mrs & the 2 kids all coming down with flu (& still struggling with it now)
    The in-laws have been talking about going to a hotel for dinner this year but I think I'd prefer to stil have it at home with just the 4 of us if no one else takes on the hosting duties, theres something about christmas & home that is unbreakable IMO. We'll see how that develops over the year, but I suspect if you were planning that you'd need to book early as I believe they can book out quickly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stay at home.

We took the five year old and 11 month old out of the house after lunch to sleepover for Xmas at the in-laws. Neither slept properly that night, as a result we couldn't properly relax at any stage and were exhausted the next day. We were supposed to spend 2 nights there but we aborted and headed home after dinner on Stephens's Day and both kids went down much better (and longer!) at home.

Never again, that's the end of spending Xmas in anyone else's house unless we go down 3 or 4 day in advance and get everyone settled. And that would make no sense since the in laws only live ten minutes down the road.

I don't mind bringing them out to say hi for an hour or two, but fnck this crap of stressing out over packing bags and loading up cars and trying to convince the kids that they can sleep in a weird bed.

We did Xmas in our house last year and I actually kind of enjoyed doing the cooking; gives you something to do instead of hanging around the kitchen feeling like you should be doing something but also feeling like you're in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Patww79 wrote: »

We did that twice in Ireland and once in the U.K. I'm going to be honest , we stayed in two very upmarket hotels in Ireland, one was lovely and we were overfed but it was very regimented as in they packed our day from arrival until departure. The second the food was terrible and to be honest i didn't like the atmosphere caused by fellow guests at meal times ( drink and lots of unsupervised children). Very over priced for sub standard service.

The UK trip was fabulous , from the quality of the food to the hotel atmosphere. Would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Will definitely be finishing my shopping in November. Don't have many presents to buy but will still be a huge weight off the shoulders

Had a quieter 2017 Christmas than usual which was just what the doctor ordered as it turned out. Am planning a big trip in January 2019, so will be an even quieter 2018 but in recent years the pubs and streets have just gotten unbearable around Christmas time so no loss to me :o

Looking forward to a relaxed 2018 edition, spending time with family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Posy wrote: »
    Oh- and as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to have all the decorations put away neatly with all the ones I don't use or that have passed their sell by date, already thrown away.

I am going to buy a few new decorations in August when the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens and that should be all I need.
    This year, I bought a new stairs garland, pop-up tree for my kitchen, a Christmas village scene in Woodies and a new wreath and two boxes of crackers (one for next year) that were below half price in Debenhams, so that reduces what's needed next year. :)

I am going to buy all my icing and marzipan at the same time as I buy my Christmas cake ingredients, and I will wrap my presents as they are bought, so I don't end up with one big pile of wrapping.

A few years ago I bought one of those savings tin from a €2 shop, the type that you have to use a tin opener to open. Told the missus that we'll put a tenner a week into it for Xmas. She told me it was a waste of time. 48 weeks later I opened it and €480 was counted out. Herself was delighted, she buys the tins now lol lol. Goes a long way towards the xmas food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Ye are all mad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Creative83 wrote: »
    Ye are all mad!

Yes we are all mad festive y’all. Thanks for the mad props dwag.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

My things to do/not do or improve on for Christmas 2018:

Tell family what is on kids Santa list or ask them what they are getting for the kids - my inlaws bought our little boy the same present as his main Santa present and gave it to him on Christmas Eve. We said nothing but we were so disappointed when we got home and thought about it. He didnt notice as he is too young but it wont be happening again. If he was a few years old this could have being a Christmas morning disaster :( As long as present opening happens with them on Xmas eve they will have to be told when Santa is bringing or they need to tell us what they are getting.

Put away €10 per week to help towards present buying. My credit card is terminally ill after the Christmas and I don't want a repeat of this again.

I will not go the Next sale on St Stephens morning - the size selection in my town was terrible, I didnt get the kids clothes I wanted so wont be doing it again. I was also wrecked for the rest of the day having to be up at 5am and q in the cold for dam all gain.

Spend less time jumping through hoops visiting everyone and just take more time to laze around the house in our pjs playing with the kids. Maybe if we dont arrive some of them might get up of their buts and come visit us!!

Make sure we secure another invite to Christmas day dinner!!! - my sister and bil hosted this year, the dinner was delicious, we helped where needed but we had none of the stress of housework, shopping etc before it. It was such a lovely day and with another baby having arrived by next Christmas we are bound to get invited somewhere lol:)

Go back to doing New Years Day dinner for both families - we did it in 2016 but couldn't do it this year as we had a NY Eve wedding. Its nice to return the favor when someone else feeds you for most of xmas.

Make time to bake a bit more - I bought all the ingredients but never even managed to make a mince pie. I suppose I should have kept a day or two holidays and finished work a bit earlier to do more preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mano79 wrote: »

I will not go the Next sale on St Stephens morning - the size selection in my town was terrible, I didnt get the kids clothes I wanted so wont be doing it again. I was also wrecked for the rest of the day having to be up at 5am and q in the cold for dam all gain.

I never heard of people getting much use out of the next sale to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I had a lovely Christmas overall and there are a few keys to doing so. First off, avoiding bad TV is a key. Putting up with substandard fare because someone else in the house is watching it can be a real downer. If someone else likes a programme and you hate it, let them watch it while you find something different to do.

Another key is do have some nice things to do after Christmas as well. Have something nice to do around the 6th of January and to remember Christmas lasts until then! In general, try and do things by your own rules and have something nice to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Might get outta here and spend it in Spain with the in-laws next year.

Advertisement