Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Books of the year

Options
  • 02-01-2018 12:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the past year, what were people's best read/listened to books of 2017?

It was a naval history focus and the following were two good reads:

German Raiders of the South Sea by Bromby, about WWI Era steam and sail era ships raiding British colonies during that war.

Seize the Fire by Nicolson, on the battle of Trafalgar and how the British and French/Spanish Fleets had different approaches to logistics and tactics.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didn't get as much reading done as I would have liked but my favourite book was the third part of Prit Buttar's series on the Eastern Front in World War 1, Russia's Last Gasp. The Eastern Front 1916–17. I'd highly recommend the series to anyone who is looking for a fresh look at WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

David McCullagh's biography of De Valera - volume 1 -" Rise".

He had to be meticulous in quoting his sources given the contentious nature of his subject. In doing so he angers both sides of the debate, so must be doing something right.

Advertisement