Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you going to do when the market crashes

• 27-12-2017 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

I may be ridiculed for this, but the stock market is going to crash in the second half of 2018.

The market has been performing amazingly for the last 7 years or so.With index funds being at record highs. The fact that the dow jones is 10K above its previous peak before the last crash should be worrying for people.

Many companies are overvalued

Snap 18B valuation on 400M revenue with a 500M loss

Facebook 400B market cap - Revenue 27B

Plenty of other companies such as Amazon, Tesla, and Twitter. They have high market caps, with nothing really to back it up. The only companies that will probably survive a crash are Amazon and FB but with a more realistic valuation.

I currently hold no shares, having sold them off during the year to buy property. I will buy back when the time is right.

So start cashing out now is my advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

What's the catalyst going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭amacca

I was thinking there won't be any one major event signalling the end of the bull run, no emperor has no clothes moment etc just a continuous slide back to more realistic valuations etc....maybe it'll come apparent that Trumps interventions won't bring about more profitable us business in the long run

but then what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I guess I'll hold and ride through - no need to crystallise losses unless I badly need access to money. Dividends should still pay.

I may keep some cash on hand to buy speculatively...inflation is low enough...

I reckon the bitcoin bubble will coincide with whatever the catalyst is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It won't take much to start a panic.
    Share prices are crazy high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

amacca wrote: »
    maybe it'll come apparent that Trumps interventions won't bring about more profitable us business in the long run

Daimler expects that the Trump tax changes will increase it's net income for 2017 by 1.7bn euros
    BMW said it expects re-measurement of deferred taxes as a result of US tax reform to have a positive impact on deferred taxes in 2017 and therefore on group net profit in the region of 950 million euros to 1.550 billion euros.

Not sure who is going to pay for all these corporate profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

I will buy plenty of Lyxor ETF BX4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

When market crashes - I'll short the hell out of it :)
    As volatility at all times low - buy OTM leaps puts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I may be ridiculed for this, but the stock market is going to crash in the second half of 2018.

The market has been performing amazingly for the last 7 years or so.With index funds being at record highs. The fact that the dow jones is 10K above its previous peak before the last crash should be worrying for people.

Many companies are overvalued

Snap 18B valuation on 400M revenue with a 500M loss

Facebook 400B market cap - Revenue 27B

Plenty of other companies such as Amazon, Tesla, and Twitter. They have high market caps, with nothing really to back it up. The only companies that will probably survive a crash are Amazon and FB but with a more realistic valuation.

I currently hold no shares, having sold them off during the year to buy property. I will buy back when the time is right.

So start cashing out now is my advice.

Why don't you short those companies if you are so sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What are you going to do when the market crashes
    Buy more stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1world1people

There is no real investment allternative to stocks until intrest rates rise significantly. I expect 2 to 3 5-10 % pullbacks, but no crash in 2018. Good buying oppertunities. The US tax breaks will add more liquidity all round, Oil and ebergy prices are ramping up too. 2018 will be a year of spending and investment and if it goes too far.., a bubble may becomr apparant in 2019. By then another 4-5 fed rate increases will be priced into the markets and the values may have drifted down a bit. If there is a danger, its an unforseen geoploitical event, war escallation, natural disaster, mass virus or alien revelations or something eqallly wierd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Is anyone thinking about reducing exposure to indebted companies? I figure they're the ones that are going to get whacked when the bear comes - all this cheap credit might get it's interest rates increased, putting a severe strain on marginal companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

would really love if this finally happen, a 25-30% correction would be great and is almost overdue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

What's the catalyst going to be?
    The inevitable climb in interest rates? Could be a while off yet. Provided the supposed personal debt bubble isn't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Warren Buffetts opinion is that at current interest rates, stocks are not over priced. But if the FED hikes the rates sharply for the next few years, stocks will be a lot less attractive. You don't want to take on a ton of extra risk to earn the same dividend as a T-bill, if you are investing in the market as interest rates are super low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Don't forget all the jobs about to go missing with the rise of automation.

Not just robotics, but quantum-level self-learning AI.
    AlphaGo recently thought itself how to play chess in just 4hrs,
    then went and beat a few world chess grandmasters.

(Correcting) Stocks won't only have to pay more for pensions, but early pensions and maybe UBI on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Don't forget all the jobs about to go missing with the rise of automation.

Not just robotics, but quantum-level self-learning AI.
    AlphaGo recently thought itself how to play chess in just 4hrs,
    then went and beat a few world chess grandmasters.

(Correcting) Stocks won't only have to pay more for pensions, but early pensions and maybe UBI on top.

The same could have been said 100 years ago when tractors, cars were invented. Yes, it removed jobs but created new ones (you need people to sell, fix, improve them). There was also new markets created (internet for instance).

So yes automation, AI will remove some jobs but don't forget that they are only useful if they make money. So it will require people spending and therefore having a job.

Deub wrote: »
    The same could have been said 100 years ago when tractors, cars were invented. Yes, it removed jobs but created new ones (you need people to sell, fix, improve them). There was also new markets created (internet for instance).

So yes automation, AI will remove some jobs but don't forget that they are only useful if they make money. So it will require people spending and therefore having a job.

To an extent, but true-AI (not yet achieved, but not very far away), will be able to do almost everything and anything better. The self-learning and perhaps even self-replicating/maintaining aspect could make humans largely indisposed. Stephen Hawkins may not be able to logically compete with quantum level universal cloud consciousness.

On the up-side, human leisure time will increase vastly thanks to UBI payments (assuming inflation remains steady). After initial correction from 120%+ it's hard to know what will happen to markets after that as we head into the 4th ind' rev.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

AI is obviously going to make corporations more profitable, not less. Otherwise they won't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

thereality wrote: »
    Warren Buffetts opinion is that at current interest rates, stocks are not over priced. But if the FED hikes the rates sharply for the next few years, stocks will be a lot less attractive. You don't want to take on a ton of extra risk to earn the same dividend as a T-bill, if you are investing in the market as interest rates are super low.

What WB is saying and then doing is completely different. With current interest rates so low he has 100 billion in cash sitting out the market. he has sold down shares that are not part of his core long term holdings and added nothing of note.

Inevitably there is a bear market on the way but no way of knowing when that will be. It will come down to the CB's and how they react. For now they seem intent on pumping unlimited amounts of cash into the system and some C Banks are directly buying equities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

What will I do?

Firstly- tell everyone things can only get better and invest in stuff then- safe in the knowledge that I'll be right
    Secondly- when things get better- I'll start telling everyone that the next crash is only around the corner and should come along in the next year/2 years- safe in the knowledge that I'll be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

What will I do?

Firstly- tell everyone things can only get better and invest in stuff then- safe in the knowledge that I'll be right
    Secondly- when things get better- I'll start telling everyone that the next crash is only around the corner and should come along in the next year/2 years- safe in the knowledge that I'll be right

David McWilliams.... is that you?

jon1981 wrote: »
    David McWilliams.... is that you?

No, I'm just someone who understand the cyclical nature of markets & economies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

lucky john wrote: »
    With current interest rates so low he has 100 billion in cash sitting out the market.

And when things go belly up he'll be in using that 100 billion just like last time buying bargains

No, I'm just someone who understand the cyclical nature of markets & economies

But that's really 101 stuff...

The skill is calling when.

jon1981 wrote: »
    But that's really 101 stuff...

The skill is calling when.

I know that! I was just essentially summing up the know-it-all approach of most people in, what I thought was, a humourous manner!

I'll have to try harder- us Economists aint known for our banter!!!

Apologies, I need to upgrade my sarcasm radar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My very large MNC is telling us employees that the Trump tax plan will make a huge difference to profitability this year and going forward. So I can't see a crash coming this year when such an impact is related widely amongst US companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My very large MNC is telling us employees that the Trump tax plan will make a huge difference to profitability this year and going forward. So I can't see a crash coming this year when such an impact is related widely amongst US companies.

But what if there's a shock or multiple shocks from other sectors from other countries?

Never mind market booms (or crashes) (in terms of locality and local effects) impacting Ireland. Once the EU enforces harmonisation here, there will be plenty of other more sunny small islands to choose from.

Like the US MNC commonly known as Apple, that may have moved some of their tax base to Jersey, once the tax screws here were tightened ever so slightly?
    Then there's the BVI (British Virgin Islands), Dutch Antilles, Cayman, Bermuda or more local alternatives of Guernsey, Swiss, Isle of Man, Malta. etc etc.
    Perfectly legal to put you tax base e.g. in the middle of the Caribbean (hence most large corporate may do this) morally, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Never mind market booms (or crashes) (in terms of locality and local effects) impacting Ireland. Once the EU enforces harmonisation here, there will be plenty of other more sunny small islands to choose from.

Like the US MNC commonly known as Apple, that may have moved some of their tax base to Jersey, once the tax screws here were tightened ever so slightly?
    Then there's the BVI (British Virgin Islands), Dutch Antilles, Cayman, Bermuda or more local alternatives of Guernsey, Swiss, Isle of Man, Malta. etc etc.
    Perfectly legal to put you tax base e.g. in the middle of the Caribbean (hence most large corporate may do this) morally, not so much.

maybe the idea of creating a sovereign wealth fund, and taking the difference of this tax increase in share options, isnt a bad idea after all!

Advertisement