Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Biggest Regret Thread

Options
  • 28-12-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've only been in the Crypto scene since around November but there's already been such massive changes in coin prices since then.

I was straight into litecoin when i started but the price was super stable at around 57 euro.
    I could see all these other coins going crazy around it and ended up selling the coins for 47 each.

Rather frustrating looking at the prices now! Kind of wish i wasnt putting so much money in alts when bitcoin has been such a steady mover too.
    But for every bad decision you make, you tend to end up making a good one too.

Seeing all the talk on here and reddit gives me major FOMO and makes me want to jump ship from the coins i'm already in.

What are you're biggest crypto regrets so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Regrets ive had a few, but then again too few to mention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Numeraire | NMR

Got destroyed. Managed to trade my way out and lost no money, but jeeeez...
    Thanks to the anonymity they have for the data scientists their claims of having 15k data scientists was realistically more like 1k once the addresses started being tracked. Could still be big in a few years but it's a while away from reaching Kaggle's ubiquity in the data science world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

My worst moves -- and regrets -- all revolve around Ether.
    Was all primed to press the Buy button at $7 at the start of the year, but dawdled and put it off for a couple of weeks. Price kept going up, so hesitated further. Finally bought in March for $50 but sold during the dip in July for $155.
    My current regret is missing out on Raiblocks when it was really cheap. I do believe it may be a sound investment, but it's hard to buy in at 1000% higher than when you could have done.
    So, all-in-all, a few regrets but easily cancelled out by the Winz on BTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

First looked at crypto summer last year when a poster here was banging on about a ****coin called dubaicoin/DBIC. I had about 2.5k to invest at the time but didn't look any further into it. If I'd only gone to coinbase...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Spent about a month planning to start bitcoin mining farm in 2014.

Decided not to, as I just started a new job and relationship.

If things had gone as planned, I’d have several hundred bitcoin. Maybe even several thousand mined by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Biggest main regret is not buying bitcoin in 2011 when I'm first heard about it. I intended to buy 1000 worth or so and just simply forgot. Second major regret is not buying Ether when intended to in 2016. I even have an email reminder to my personal email from my work email just stating "BUY small amount of ETH". Costly regrets !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Biggest regret is not mining coins when I found out about bitcoin, back then you could do it on a reg desktop (IIRC) I remember looking at the old desktop in the corner thinking if the winklevoss twins are starting to get involved in this coin, might be a good idea to follow their lead. THey are not going to be the type to get fleeced twice in a row.
    I was getting old computer ready and just put it on the long finger.
    shudda cudda wudda.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had heard of Bitcoin, and even saw the thread on the investing forum - decided to put in $1000 when bitcoin was at $100 - but friends and family scared me off it as I might lose my money. My own fault. I've no doubt that if I had of done it, I would have read more into the Blockchain, instantly realised this was a game changing technology and also invested in other coins like Ethereum very early and probably be sitting on a massive pile of cash right now.

but shouldawoudacoulda - we all have these stories, I still think we're early days in the grand scheme of things and still plenty of money to be made. This is not Tulips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Biggest regret is just not using the technology earlier. It is very easy to kid yourself about how you heard about Bitcoin back in the day and were all primed to invest if it wasn't for x, y or z. I looked into buying Bitcoin many years ago but it was to buy 'Other' products on the web. I had no sense of it being an investment opportunity.

When you actually get setup and starting moving digital currency around you see the power of the whole thing and that was a real aha moment for myself. I think if I had just started using it earlier I night have seen that potential rather than this hand wavy idea in my head that I had behind the whole idea of BTC. It still may not have lead to any action but it just might . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Selling 100k of Verge back in August. bought it for like .001 cent think it was something like 100-150€ worth at the time, can't recall. worth 25k€ at the peak but i doubt i would of held it till then, i think it's a rubbish coin built on hype that will bleed all the way back to 100 sats

Selling my OMG that i bought for 1$ for 2$

Selling all my LTC for 50$ when i bought it for 20$

Not selling my Neo back in August after that epic climb from 5$ to 45$ i knew it would dip but got greedy and held, the sat value of that now is 150$ for each coin.

Read up on Raiblocks back in Nov, saw it being discussed since i'm a fan of IOTA and knew it could be a sleeper, was 15 cents when i wanted to buy it but was put off it since the exchanges are dodgy, only bought when it reached 1-2$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Spending 8 BTC on a zip of green back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Bought 60 btc back at the start of 2013 (29 dollars each). Panic sold after the big pull back at the end of 2013. In between those two points I dabbled in some day trading. In the long run the day trading wasn’t worth it. Made money some days, lost on other days. Much less hassle just leaving them alone.

Learned a bit from that though (and by learned I mean, buy coins, hodl and not to panic during any of the pull backs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

This has been a year of shoulda woulda coulda. I've made nice profits but could be minted now if I had the balls to hold and not panic. Diversifying from Eth into a bad choice of coins was disaster in Q3.

Biggest regret is buying bitcoin years ago and selling it for pittance. Also prepping a bitcoin set up at the same time and giving up because I moved country.

Nonetheless delighted to see many reap the rewards against the background of constant talk downs from the mainstream media, financial sector and general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Apart from the obvious not buying more bitcoin at €700 or ETH at €7 when i started buying.

I had 1,000 ripple bought for €0.15 each. Sold for €0.17 when i was clearing out my Kraken account. Always meant to buy them back but put it on the long finger.

Sold my ETH at €350, 2 days before it hit €700.

Sold my bitcoin at 13,800 two days before it hit 17k.

Sold my 1 Bitcoin cash for €600.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Oh where to start:

Had a chance to buy 100 Bitcoin off a friend for $1k, decided not to as it was too much at the time

Was considering buying Bitcoin at 5600, would have had over 70k less than a month later.

Was looking at Ripple back in Sept, had $1k to put into crypto, put $50 at .22cents instead, worth over $500 but still, $1k to $10k has a nicer sound.

Started looking at:

Litecoin at $25 but held off
    Verge at $0.025 but held off
    Stellar at $0.03 but held off
    SALT at $3 but held off

Must ease off on applying common sense 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My worst moves -- and regrets -- all revolve around Ether.
    Was all primed to press the Buy button at $7 at the start of the year, but dawdled and put it off for a couple of weeks. Price kept going up, so hesitated further. Finally bought in March for $50 but sold during the dip in July for $155.

Similar story here, except that it all stems from a DM I got on Reddit nearly two years ago. I think I complained on Reddit about the hype around Bitcoin, some guy messaged me there, but I didn't have the guts to chance even a tenner on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Seriously looked at BTC in april at 1500 but was going on holiday so said no. Waited until October to get in at 6500. FML.

Bought a small amount of Raiblocks at .56c, had 5 times more on the back burner but didn't trust the person who tipped me off on it. Felt like a racing tip at the time. Bought another small amount at 1.15 coz I still didn't trust the source. Rageballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd say most regrets revolve around ignoring someone talking about BTC 5 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I tried to buy some bitcoin couple of years ago but gave up too easily. I searched through mails and found my sign up mails from mtGox and BTC-E from Dec 2013! Both exchanges gone and that was just before that long bear trend, so chances of me still having BTC probably slim so maybe I saved myself some heartache 😀.
    More recently sorry I didn't buy more ADA at 4 cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Reading about bitcoin in the very first days over on the somthingawful forums and thinking.. what a load of rubbish..

I could have mined hundreds easily enough.

Oh well :(

I console myself with the fact I would have most likely sold at 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

My latest regret is when I got into Crypto, I bought €2,000 worth of XVG. They were .0008c a coin then.
    Held them and sold them for .002c a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Regret: Didn't buy BTC back in early 2014 because of ID verification issues signing up to an exchange.

Variance: The exchange was Mt Gox and it was a month before they shutdown.

Advertisement