Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow what I love or wait for long term Payoff?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All

I am currently a trainee accountant within the Big4 in Ireland. My passion is and always has been aviation. My original goal was to complete my professional ACA accounting exams with my current employer and then to try move into the aviation industry.

For now, I have completed my CAP1 and CAP2 ACA exams (2/3rd's complete, with my finals in August 2018). As a background to my career to date, I am simply going through the motions just to complete the exams. I don't actually ever see myself as an accountant, I want to enter the aviation industry into the area of strategy, fleet planning, route scheduling etc., ultimately a career where the ACA qualification isn't essential (albeit impressive to a potential employer in industry that I had the ability to complete them).

I am with my current employer 1.5 years (I will complete the exams in August 2018), but as my contract does not end until April 2020, I will not become a qualified accountant until then (as to be qualified, you must pass the exams and have 3.5 years work experience, of which I have 2 years to go).

My current situation is that, I have become extremely bored of the work that I am doing, so much so that I dread getting up each morning. My ultimate job would be something in the aviation (airline) space of fleet / route planning, analysis and/or strategy, I have found that in my search for this type of position, for someone with my experience, is extremely rare (positions usually required 3+ years’ experience within an airline). Anyway, I recently came across a suitable position (with a well known airline, with a good employee reputation) of which I applied for and was offered the job.

So, why am I posting here? I suppose it comes down to risk. I’m aware that I am quite close to completing the ACA exams, but if I want to be fully qualified, I’m still 2 years away from the finish line. My dilemma is, do I forget about this position, complete my exams and wait in the job that I dislike for 2 more years, or do I jump ‘ship’ now, to instantly start the careers that I believe I have always wanted?

More background is that, if I become qualified, in 2 years, I will be guaranteed a salary of 55k (of which I will progress though until then), the other option in industry is starting at 30k (just slightly higher than what I am on now). Being honest, the rate of progression (salary wise) I would imagine is a lot faster within the Big4, and I have no idea how fast, salary progression, if at all in 2/3 years would be with this airline.

That being said, more money can be great, but is it worth it if I don’t actually enjoy what I’m doing? Back to risk, yes I want to be in a job that I love, but I also want to be earning the same salary in 10 years’ time, had I remained within the Big4. For more background, in 10 years’ time in the Big4 I could have a potential salary of approx. 200k (in a job I never want). I don’t envisage the same in industry (as I wouldn’t be a qualified accountant), however, I would imagine more like 100k in a job that I thoroughly enjoy.

Ultimately, I don’t know what to do; 1. Stay as am and qualify as an accountant in 2 years’ time or, 2. Leave and get the job I’ve always wanted now. I don’t want to look back in 2 years and have regrets (at a career that I had and left). I suppose you could say grow up and take the risk, but I would be grateful for any views / recommendations in regard to my above scenario. Yes having a professional qualification is great, but I genuinely don’t enjoy the work.

Should I stay as is an hope that such positions arise in two years time or do I bite the bullet, shortcut it and go for it now?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hello Shane.

I think you know the answer here.
    Follow your heart!

I've been in a job that I hate (in a similar profession to you). It's soul destroying. Yes the money was tempting but if you're dead behind the eyes and heart it's not worth it.

Go to the one that makes your heart sing.
    The experience and exam success you have gained will all stand to you going forward and any future employer worth their salt will commend you for your bravery in following your passion.

Good luck!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I know of one fella with an accounting background that ended up in charge of major airline. They are not mutually incompatible.

Get your qualification then apply for jobs with airlines I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

For me, stay where you are and finish out getting your qualification. I know there's 2 years to go but why waste what you've already put into it.
    Once you're qualified you can look around a bit more and more positions might open up for you within the aviation industry.
    I know that you don't like your job now but there's zero guarantee that you'll enjoy the job that you're looking at either. Grass is always greener and all that....
    In the greater scheme of things two years is nothing in terms of time but can be invaluable in terms of experience and qualifications gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Hang tough and finish your qualification; it is a great string to one’s bow and a gateway into multiple industries (including the airline industry).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have the job offer now go ahead with it. You're already at the stage of dreading getting up for work, that's not going to get better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Take the new job. You can become an Accountant through online/part-time/evening classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would stick it out - in the overall scheme of things two more years is a very short time! An accountancy qualification with one of the Big 4 will always be a fantastic feature on your CV across a whole range of industries!

Advertisement