Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Poor aul' "Mary O'Brien" falls victim to Aprés Match....

Sally!

The fake breaks in that entire "special" are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

L1011 wrote: »
    Sally!

The fake breaks in that entire "special" are fantastic.

"Sally O'Brien" of course :-):-)

Perhaps Mary O'Brien could be one of the sisters in that spoof!

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Which begs the question I asked in the thread about retro Irish celebrities.Whatever happened to Eanna Macliam,who plays the phone vandal in this?

• Advertisement

Was there somebody on here a while back looking for an ad with a woman talkin about headaches and stuff?
    Tis in here with this lot...

Was there somebody on here a while back looking for an ad with a woman talkin about headaches and stuff?
    Tis in here with this lot...

The Anadin ad,think I'd posted about that a good while back.Nice one.

I'm not too sure if this is the right thread but I do remember somebody was looking for this one a long time ago.

Might have been on another thread, can't find it but there was a discussion of the Bass ad where yer man goes walking across fields and mountains to deliver a pint to his buddy who's building a stone wall. It starts here at the 4.05 mark. Very strange ad especially the opening sequence in the pub with the reflection changing in the mirror and the barman getting freaked out.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Might have been on another thread, can't find it but there was a discussion of the Bass ad where yer man goes walking across fields and mountains to deliver a pint to his buddy who's building a stone wall. It starts here at the 4.05 mark. Very strange ad especially the opening sequence in the pub with the reflection changing in the mirror and the barman getting freaked out.

Your memory is excellent.
    That was one of my favourite ads from the 90s and yet I can't remember the long version of that advert.
    A lot different about it, including the music being slightly different.
    Not to mention the barman's reflection changing in the mirror,and me man's reflection changing in the water.I'd love to know what the idea was there.

• Advertisement

Your memory is excellent.
    That was one of my favourite ads from the 90s and yet I can't remember the long version of that advert.
    A lot different about it, including the music being slightly different.
    Not to mention the barman's reflection changing in the mirror,and me man's reflection changing in the water.I'd love to know what the idea was there.

I remember the late John Little writing about this ad in his TV review column in The Sunday World and wondering what it was supposed to be all about. He also said that the barman was miscast as he was "too young and too polite"

Just came across an advert I haven't seen in years. The one for Planters with the Dr Jeckyll type mad scientist turning into a chimpanzee starting at the 0.41 mark. I used to be bursting my hole laughing at that one :D

Staying with John Little, he often used to do reviews of tv adverts in his column and I remember what he wrote about the Smithwicks ad that appears here at 5.35, he said something along the lines of "the "hero" of the new Smithwicks advert is an unshaven thug who looks like he spent the night sleeping in a ditch". That always stuck in my head for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Theres a guy on youtube has load of old ads, It was linked on the sidebar, but I never thought of bookmarking (after spending 45 mins down the rabbit hole)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Heres a handfull of random offair from 1982. Thre appears to be a lot more continuity on the other uploads, interesting. https://youtu.be/dvzccLRLj-M?t=1m35s Oliver Tobias!

Enjoy.. Its all fabulous quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Lads does anyone know what this ad was for-a mother is dropping her little girl off at school-presumably her first day-and they both look sad,and in the background there's a woman singing a song which goes "...take good care of yourself,I worry about you when you're gone...." ??

This is the one, premier dairies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LbFr65KaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FintanRyan

Yep,the freeze frame-I remember that part very well!!
    As soon as me man says "....well I don't give a damn!!..." he turns to walk away but immediately the picture freezes,and then the V.O. abruptly delivers the closing line something to the effect of ".....the man who doesn't(or 'didn't') give a damn.Known(or 'know him') for what he is."

Jeez I wish I could remember more....

In my memory, it goes: 'The NEIGHBOUR who doesn't give a damn, know for what he is'. The big problem the complainant farmer had was 'You're cattle were on my land again...[and this was the real problem] You're buying in cattle from God knows where...'. So this bad neighbour was not only letting his cattle stray onto the other guy's farm, he was buying in untested livestock. It was all about spreading bovine TB. The freeze frame was a very big deal at the time. 
    This and an ad for Maverick, which I think was a feed for calves and featured cowboys and branding, gave me a view of Irish agriculture which upped the macho stakes in a way I couldn't reconcile with my uncle Michael's farm. 

This one was late 70's, I can't rightly remember what it was for but it had the feel of a PIF albeit a comic one. There were all these clips of random people at work or doing day to day stuff and suddenly something they had or were working with would disappear into thin air. There was a farmer walking across a muddy field in wellies when one of his wellies vanishes causing him to lose his balance and fall over into the mud. Another I think a guy is changing a tyre on his car and the tyre vanishes. Another was some sort of Rose Of Tralee type beauty contest with these women up on a catwalk and most of their clothes disappear leaving them in their underwear, they all then rush off embarrassed covering themselves up. The whole thing felt very Benny Hill-ish. There was a voiceover throughout the ad for whatever it was about. I have a funny feeling it was about tax returns, does anyone else remember it?

Some classics here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^ now I feel old!!

• Advertisement

If you go to the 0.22 second mark there's an ad for Sure Deodorant which was one of the strangest things on the telly, guy in the desert being chased by rednecks with trucks and dogs. Surprised how they got away with this as it kind of violent and disturbing, one shot where it looks like one of the rednecks is pointing a gun at him but it's edited in such a way you can't be sure. I'll always remember the reaction shot of the angry bald, sweaty guy.

branie wrote: »
    I can remember the ad with "Anne Glynn thinks she's cracked it"; it was an ad for a bank.
    Eeden wrote: »
    I vaguely remember this one, but not what it was for or what they thought they had cracked. You've got me wondering now!
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think it was AIB, not certain though.

:D

Yes, it was for AIB. Ann Glynn advert here at 2.47. For some reason everyone working for AIB, with the exception of Ann Glynn herself and the first "cracked it" guy have English accents.

Yes, it was for AIB. Ann Glynn advert here at 2.47. For some reason everyone working for AIB, with the exception of Ann Glynn herself and the first "cracked it" guy have English accents.

There was another one of those ads where the line everybody was saying to each other and passing on to everyone else was "Dave Malone thinks he's gone through the roof".

Now this one here really is a blast from the past.
    I remember mentioning this one a long time ago on this thread,and I never thought I'd see it again.This was around the same time,if not before,the TV Spongers Beware ads.One of a series of ads with "real people" with their faces blanked out, hopefully the others will also show up. (volume really needs to be turned up with this one)

FintanRyan wrote: »
    Yep,the freeze frame-I remember that part very well!!
    As soon as me man says "....well I don't give a damn!!..." he turns to walk away but immediately the picture freezes,and then the V.O. abruptly delivers the closing line something to the effect of ".....the man who doesn't(or 'didn't') give a damn.Known(or 'know him') for what he is."

Jeez I wish I could remember more....

In my memory, it goes: 'The NEIGHBOUR who doesn't give a damn, know for what he is'. The big problem the complainant farmer had was 'You're cattle were on my land again...[and this was the real problem] You're buying in cattle from God knows where...'. So this bad neighbour was not only letting his cattle stray onto the other guy's farm, he was buying in untested livestock. It was all about spreading bovine TB. The freeze frame was a very big deal at the time. 
    This and an ad for Maverick, which I think was a feed for calves and featured cowboys and branding, gave me a view of Irish agriculture which upped the macho stakes in a way I couldn't reconcile with my uncle Michael's farm. 
    "Ah mind your own business".
    "But this IS my business!! TB spreading on my land is my business".
    "I don't want them bloody reactors".

A few other lines I remember clearly from that ad.
    You never know,so many other ads have reappeared outa nowhere,so maybe one day.........

I remember asking about this Telecom Éireann ad a while back on this thread,"Cén chaoi a bhfuil d'iníon Máire?? "
    Here it is at 2mins 45sec.

I remember this one as being one of the worst ads I'd ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Day Lewin wrote:
    favourite ad of all time.

It's just amazing how you recognize and remember those old ads as they play yet you could never recall or remember them by your own devices. Those memories locked away in brain cells for 30 odd years in your mind somewhere, suddenly awoken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

This is the one, premier dairies:

I remember that girl giving her mother the dirtiest of looks!

I heard Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" on the radio today and remembered this ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Den14 wrote: »
    I remember that girl giving her mother the dirtiest of looks!

But she was all smiles at the end of the school day and ran into her mother's arms

Can anyone remember an ad,I dunno whether it was from the 80s or not,but it had the abandoned Marie Celeste ship afloat in the water? I think it might have been about chocolate or something.
    I know that there was a funny Weetabix ad about the Marie Celeste, but the one I am talking about was long before this and seemed rather bleak.

This one was I think circa 1990/91 and for Jacobs. It was cartoon animation with this punkish girl going around on a moped and kind of acid house type song that went "where is the jam?". Would like to see that one again.

This one was I think circa 1990/91 and for Jacobs. It was cartoon animation with this punkish girl going around on a moped and kind of acid house type song that went "where is the jam?". Would like to see that one again.
    I remember that one too,and I think the song "Where Is The Jam" was a parody of "Pump Up The Jam". And at the end of it,it said "The jam is in the groove".
    There was another one for Kimberley quite like that one, which said "Don't twist my biscuit,man" at the end.

• Advertisement

I remember that one too,and I think the song "Where Is The Jam" was a parody of "Pump Up The Jam". And at the end of it,it said "The jam is in the groove".
    There was another one for Kimberley quite like that one, which said "Don't twist my biscuit,man" at the end.

Found both of them......

Looking at them again I reckon the same animator must have done the Milky Way "red car and blue car had a race", the style is very similar.

Seaaaan! It's 3 O clock in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyoner remember the ICL ad with the businessmen in suits playing rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

These are two that i remember most, the dog one freaked me out.
    https://youtu.be/0BTCY5xhrIY

https://youtu.be/ghQVJ3qAcAU

• Advertisement

I'm gone into rewind again with ads.....here's another one which came to me head-one which scared me even though twas about somethin harmless but I just can't remember what twas about.What I found scary was in the background there was exciting music and the sound of thunder,and a couple of times there was the sound of a fella singing the words:

"LIGHTNING WHITENING!!!!"

in a really loud high-pitched voice.

Can anybody remember what that ad was about?
    Could it have been washing powder or something??

It was for Macleans toothpaste. It's on this ad compilation at the 2:30 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Remember this one...Daz washing powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKRvRwRsj0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

My favorite is perhaps the 'ESB - Going Home' one.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

With a young Alan Hughes as the returning son

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

branie2 wrote: »
    With a young Alan Hughes as the returning son

Hi branie2, yes, that's the one.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Worztron wrote: »
    My favorite is perhaps the 'ESB - Going Home' one.

Popular with railway enthusiasts too!

This is a classic, very funny but also kind of sad ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Remember this one...Daz washing powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKRvRwRsj0

Whatever happened to the Daz 'blue whitener'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Modernity killed it. UV whiteners in the washing powder/liquid itself replaced the need for subtractive colour trickery; and now better fabrics + oxygen bleach keep white stuff whiter anyway

I'd repressed all memory of these screechy voiced brats till seeing this again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement