Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst things about christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Best: Town being absolutely deserted

Worst: The guilt trip you get for deciding to enjoy deserted town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Worst thing is it happens every year without fail and there's no getting away from it.

Best thing is it eventually ends.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

heldel00 wrote: »
    Nope still don't get it. In my opinion you can't be a complete atheist and enjoy a mass.

whats a "complete" atheist though? should a complete atheist not even celebrate/recognise the birth of yet another god?

im an atheist, i go to Christmas day mass the odd time, i enjoy the singing and music, meeting the neighbours, seeing what other kids got from Santa, meeting elderly neighbours, whose Christmas it might be the last, good to all mankind and peace on earth stuff. you can ignore the goddy bits!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm with you on that score. It's up there with the worst aspect for me. Non believers, half believers and don't know's, packing into the church on Christmas Day. It's just part of the Christmas "atmosphere" for them. A routine even. I hardly believe. I don't go. End of story. I don't need it to make Christmas Day a bit special. If you don't believe and profess to being an aethiest and still attend mass on Christmas Day, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Best - A child believing in Santa. I'm just about on my last year of it. I've held the opinion that Christmas is about Kids and that adults hi jack it with their gluttony. On Christmas morning, I'll be happy out watching my daughter happy. That's enough for me.

We could be about the seriously derail the thread here! :D
    is your kid not opening her presents a special time with them, an aspect of the whole atmosphere of jesus birthday that you like...?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Logo

Best, not having to jump through hoops for family
    Worst, christmas day mass without a heap of kids that don't want to be there listening to a man talking ****e for an hour. No kids. And the hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

whats a "complete" atheist though? should a complete atheist not even celebrate/recognise the birth of yet another god?

im an atheist, i go to Christmas day mass the odd time, i enjoy the singing and music, meeting the neighbours, seeing what other kids got from Santa, meeting elderly neighbours, whose Christmas it might be the last, good to all mankind and peace on earth stuff. you can ignore the goddy bits!

Wakka described him/herself as completely atheist that is why I referred to them as that.

I don't think the "goddy bits" should be ignored, particularly at Christmas. I can see why you would do this at weddings, funerals etc where you are being "forced" to attend but no, not at Christmas.
    If are that keen on seeing the neighbours etc then wait outside the door of the church, head to the local Christmas morning swim, perch yourself at the bar on Stephen's night but don't use what is very important to other people as a social outlet.
    Again this is only my opinion. Obviously everyone is welcome in a church but be there for the right reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Best,
    Creating something special every year from Santy thats a bit different. This year is a North Pole Award certificate for all the kids from Santy overseen by the international and interworld council of elves and fairiesh (IICEF) ... Complete with a seal stamp and ribbon rolled up in their stocking (tough year for them so can't wait to see the reaction)

Loads of calorie free food (doesn't count on Christmas day)

Everyone at home.

Worst.
    Missing the ones that can't be there. My dad, and my baba in hospital..
    The food hangover
    The noise of the kids by 4 pm cos they're knackered and cranky! Lol
    Bring it on!

heldel00 wrote: »
    Wakka described him/herself as completely atheist that is why I referred to them as that.

I don't think the "goddy bits" should be ignored, particularly at Christmas. I can see why you would do this at weddings, funerals etc where you are being "forced" to attend but no, not at Christmas.
    If are that keen on seeing the neighbours etc then wait outside the door of the church, head to the local Christmas morning swim, perch yourself at the bar on Stephen's night but don't use what is very important to other people as a social outlet.
    Again this is only my opinion. Obviously everyone is welcome in a church but be there for the right reasons

maybe the holy ghost will descend on me and convert me or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Best: Xmas Eve
    Worst: Xmas Day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We could be about the seriously derail the thread here! :D
    is your kid not opening her presents a special time with them, an aspect of the whole atmosphere of jesus birthday that you like...?

Derail it all you want, as I have a multitude of pressies to wrap, a ham to soak in coke, a turkey to debone and all the other "last minute" bits and pieces to do. While your asleep in bed I'll be hoovering, washing my car, getting a hair cut, while organising the finger food for my Christmas Eve party.

Actually, I won't be doing any of that.

Seriously though, I disagree with your point/question. I fooking hate Christmas with a passion. I have no negative experiences that caused it. It just developed over the years. My key priorities every year are to please those close to me beacuse they believe in the whole Christmas thing. Therefore I play along and do it with aplomb. However I draw the line at parading down to Mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Best: Saying you're aren't available for work until next year and it feels like longer than the week it actually is. Nice food. Good walks. No religion for me either prefer to think I'm celebrating some sort of mid winter feast.

Worst: The people who used to share it with you are no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Buzz killers the lot of ye on here

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Logo

Best, posting a question on AHs for a constructive reply - and liking the replies.
    Worse, having a thread closed by mod on the eve of christmas eve - even thought it was posted earlier in the Terrestrial forum without a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

maybe the holy ghost will descend on me and convert me or something

With the help of God!

Have a lovely xmas (see what i did there for ya!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm with you on that score. It's up there with the worst aspect for me. Non believers, half believers and don't know's, packing into the church on Christmas Day. It's just part of the Christmas "atmosphere" for them. A routine even. I hardly believe. I don't go. End of story. I don't need it to make Christmas Day a bit special. If you don't believe and profess to being an aethiest and still attend mass on Christmas Day, you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Best - A child believing in Santa. I'm just about on my last year of it. I've held the opinion that Christmas is about Kids and that adults hi jack it with their gluttony. On Christmas morning, I'll be happy out watching my daughter happy. That's enough for me.

Why? over dramatic much? People could do worse things than be atheists and go to mass.
    Nearly everyone over 18 in ireland has been raised in a catholic upbringing so its hardly surprising many people still continue a christmas routine even if they no longer believe in god
    I strongly believed in god until my early teens and now I enjoy mass for the nice music and seeing all the happy families and elderly people together on christmas. Its not such a big deal as some posters are making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,329 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing I don't really like about Christmas is the ordeal people make out of cooking the dinner. You are essentially cooking a big roast dinner and if you do something different you generally have a simple enough recipe to follow. Every year you have to listen to people's struggle with something that is a very basic task!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The f*cking soaps. Honest to Jesus, an hour of Corrie, an hour of miserable f*cking Eastenders, f*cking Fair City to add to the total ludicrousness of it all and then stupid Emmerdale afterward. Worst still, with catch up now we have to watch them all back to back. My family are mostly women obsessed with that sh*te so we can’t even have a proper chat anywhere without being shushed and shouted at for interrupting Ian f*cking Beale or Zac Dingle or who the f*ck ever.

It really boils my p*ss And is the one thing that turns me off the day. This year I’ve a telly secured and it’ll be wall to wall Die Hard in the spare room with loads of cans and Xanax. Pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

Best part is spending time with family.Everyone gathered around the christmas tree opening presents,then heading to the kitchen for the Christmas dinner.Worst part is the fact that many people are still homeless or very lonely at this time of year and we also need to think about them.x

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Best - time off work.

Worst - the circa 1997 T.V film listings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

FTA69 wrote: »
    The f*cking soaps. Honest to Jesus, an hour of Corrie, an hour of miserable f*cking Eastenders, f*cking Fair City to add to the total ludicrousness of it all and then stupid Emmerdale afterward. Worst still, with catch up now we have to watch them all back to back. My family are mostly women obsessed with that sh*te so we can’t even have a proper chat anywhere without being shushed and shouted at for interrupting Ian f*cking Beale or Zac Dingle or who the f*ck ever.

It really boils my p*ss And is the one thing that turns me off the day. This year I’ve a telly secured and it’ll be wall to wall Die Hard in the spare room with loads of cans and Xanax. Pure bliss.

Don’t mix Alcohol with Benzos, but Merry Xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The best thing about Christmas is the lead in to it. Meeting friends, the lights in town, everyone full of bonhomie. That's the great bit.

Then the reality of it all....Christmas Day is something to be endured really, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade either, it is the reality for most of us who don't have young children.

Cooped up all day in a very warm house. Nowhere to escape to. And yes I know we can get out for a walk, followed by "where do you think you're going, we have to pull the crackers etc" LOL.

But it is OK, just a day of slightly forced jollity.

If people were very honest they would say they are relieved when CD is over! But as long as we try to enjoy it as best we can that's all good.

I don,t try to enjoy I do enjoy it eating good food and watching a good film with the family after the dinner is over.
    Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Best: spending time picking out presents for loved ones that I know they will like.
    Worst: wrapping said presents, losing the end of the tape about 47 million times and almost crying with frustration cause the paper just won't fold the way I want it to.

Best: FOOD!! So much food!!!
    Worst: ugh.. food. Too much food..

Best: seeing family and spending time with them. Having a laugh.
    Worst: the inevitable arguments over the telly amid loud, earth-shattering snores from whoever has dozed off in front of the fire due to eating and drinking too much.

Best: going through the Christmas RTE Guide, picking out what to watch.
    Worst: ending up watching the Mrs. Brown Christmas Special anyway.

Awe but Mrs. Browns Boys is brilliant.

Worst: the inevitable arguments over the telly amid loud, earth-shattering snores from whoever has dozed off in front of the fire due to eating and drinking too much.

That's why I am bringing my laptop with me this year and now that I know how to stream shows online I have thousands of programs to watch so if we can not agree on something we all want to watch on TV and its something I do not like I will be watching something I want o watch online.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Im not at all religious. Completely atheist as are my whole family
    But I like going, nice getting dressed up. 10am mass stops us from sleeping in late so we make the most of the day. I think a nice bit of slightly boring mass and standing and kneeling to prayers gives some balance to a day of completely gluttony and pleasure
    And the hymns and choir are beautiful to listen to.
    Its something Ill be doing every christmas till the end of my life!

Whatever they always just sound like crows to me.

Or until there is no more priests to say mass you mean.

Me am not bothered really. Parents asked this evening and the truth I don,t like it never have so doubt I will go. Why would I want to listen to some old fellow telling me a story of something that is supposed to have happened over 2 millennia ago. I think they are stuck in the past move on get over it.

P_1 wrote: »
    Best: Town being absolutely deserted

Worst: The guilt trip you get for deciding to enjoy deserted town

I love that too. No need to feel guilty just enjoy it the silence and the quietness is heaven.
    FTA69 wrote: »

Yes and all of it is the same **** over and over so boring and all so badly done too. How them shows are still going is beyond me a waste of money the lot of them.
    A good film or a show has a beginning a middle and on ending. Them shows have none of that so they are just trash.

Looking forward to watching some good movies myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Best: time with family and the nights out.

Worst: that strange trend in mens’ fashion which seems to manifest itself on Christmas nights out where young men seem to think that wearing cheap Top Men/River Island sports jackets constitutes the height of fashion. Surprisingly ubiquitous in country pubs for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The best thing about Christmas is the lead in to it. Meeting friends, the lights in town, everyone full of bonhomie. That's the great bit.

Then the reality of it all....Christmas Day is something to be endured really, and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade either, it is the reality for most of us who don't have young children.

Cooped up all day in a very warm house. Nowhere to escape to. And yes I know we can get out for a walk, followed by "where do you think you're going, we have to pull the crackers etc" LOL.

But it is OK, just a day of slightly forced jollity.

If people were very honest they would say they are relieved when CD is over! But as long as we try to enjoy it as best we can that's all good.

Which people are these that you're speaking for on their behalf?

Or are you just talking about yourself?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Also I don't know one person in my area that goes to mass, so it wouldn't be much of a community thing for me! I think outside of Dublin mass etc is more popular though.

We'll all be going to Mass .......... from Dublin and no where near 60 yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

totally agree its the height of hypocrisy, people pretending to be religious for the day.. come the rest of the year you never see them next to near a church, if you don't believe in it don't go

come to think of it christmas is the season of hypocrisy a time to celebrate the birth of christ and yet half of us don't believe in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Best: chilling out in PJ's eating chocolate for breakfast watching 80s or 90s films

Worst: zombie hoards losing all sense of common decency in the shopping areas (I lived off Henry Street for a few years so there was no escaping it). It's also a bit of a downer personally having divorced parents, you only get to enjoy most of the day with one parent, even as an adult it makes you have feeling s of guilt, dread, sadness as you have to inevitably 'choose' one or the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

MadDog76 wrote: »
    We'll all be going to Mass .......... from Dublin and no where near 60 yet!!!

Well lucky you going to heaven and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Best part is spending time with family.Everyone gathered around the christmas tree opening presents,then heading to the kitchen for the Christmas dinner.Worst part is the fact that many people are still homeless or very lonely at this time of year and we also need to think about them.x

People are lonely and homeless all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The boredom that is Christmas Eve. (Followed by more boredom over the next 2 days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Best thing, my kids faces when they open their presents
    Worst thing, the build up of stress getting everything ready and the constant tiredness. ( or maybe I'm just getting old)

Advertisement