Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Santa’s Last year.

Options
  • 21-12-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭

Our youngest is 9 and in 3rd class.

We really feel it’s her last year as she is asking all the obvious questions. Older daughter is 15, says the youngest believes, but “just”.

So it’s a bit sad but seems this is our last year with Santa proper coming, it all went round so quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

_Brian wrote: »

We really feel it’s her last year as she is asking all the obvious questions. Older daughter is 15, says the youngest believes, but “just”.

So it’s a bit sad but seems this is our last year with Santa proper coming, it all went round so quickly.

I remember when I was told, I was in Second class at the time. My dad told me. I suppose he thought that I was getting a bit old for Santy. My sister is the youngest in the house. I remember the first year that she didn't believe. But, while Santy isn't visiting anymore, the bother does come home from America. As he now lives in San Francisco. So that's what we look forward to now..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Miracle on 34th Street? Usually works with doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Christmas movies really annoy me from that perspective very few do a good job.
    Polar express is one that deals with it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Why does it have to be the last year ?Our kids have always been told Santa comes to our house no matter what their age.If they don't believe , then theres no pressies.Why do kids have to be told ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I love The Polar Express it really would make you believe I hope to watch it over the next few days
    We've no children yet hopefully in the future but my OH constantly says I believe to everyone, to kids, he buys me decorations with I believe etc
    His Christmas's are certainly different since we met
    I like that idea of adults saying to their kids all ages that Santa brought presents even young adults kids

Enjoy every minute of this Christmas Brian

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    Why does it have to be the last year ?Our kids have always been told Santa comes to our house no matter what their age.If they don't believe , then theres no pressies.Why do kids have to be told ?

It won’t be by our choice.
    Lots of talk at school that’s making her ask questions.
    Some of her friends have been told by older siblings etc.

We will try and keep it going if we can but I’m not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

We brought our children to see Santa when they were teenagers- 13 15 and 17!
    They'd been to this particular Santa (Arnotts) years earlier and it's lovely to have photos from when they were tiny and then much older. They enjoyed it and it is a very special memory.
    They also wrote Santa letters well into their teens.

Too many things in life are serious and we're expected to be sensible, so this fun time should be embraced for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was speaking to teachers about this and they found The Polar Express made the kids who were doubting it doubt it even more because there was so much emphases on the word believe. It's a movie that they avoid now.

We brought our children to see Santa when they were teenagers- 13 15 and 17!
    They'd been to this particular Santa (Arnotts) years earlier and it's lovely to have photos from when they were tiny and then much older. They enjoyed it and it is a very special memory.
    They also wrote Santa letters well into their teens.

Too many things in life are serious and we're expected to be sensible, so this fun time should be embraced for as long as possible.

Our eldest is 15 and has great crack with Santa visits, she says she was always scared in case she’d make a mistake and upset Santa ! Now she loves to have the crack with the Santa’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I'm 33 and Santy still comes to me and all my siblings!!! It just carried on and is a tradition I'll carry on with my own family

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    I'm 33 and Santy still comes to me and all my siblings!!! It just carried on and is a tradition I'll carry on with my own family

That’s our plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When mine got a little older and doubtful and questioned I always told them that Santa truly does exist . He exist in every Mammy and Daddy and carers heart . They carry his legacy and pass it on so kids can be happy . I got the special task from my parents and will pass it on to them when they need it for their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Darren 83

My Daughter started 4th class and asked a few questions, Obviously the kids are talking really think this is the last year she is only 8!!

We started Elf on the shelf each day is like Christmas she is so excited to see what he has done. It might be her last but I’ll make it the best I can for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, Santa still comes to us too. We range from 26 to 32. We were also never told. Kids are savvy and they’ll figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

heldel00 wrote:

I love it, not overly sentimental but if you believe then Sabta is real, how he manifests may be different, I don't believe in 'lying' to my kids but for that moment on Christmas eve I believe we become ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There are some fantastic Santas out there who would remove all doubt from a child on the cusp. Our main visit was amazing. Santa told us he needed a private chat with the little guy so he sat him up on his knee and we watched from the other side of the room while they had an intense discussion for about 15 minutes. S is only 5 and has complete and total suspension of disbelief but if he was older there was no way he'd have had any doubts after that visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Some of her friends have been told by older siblings etc.

This is so sad.
    My cousins were younger than me but more streetwise and were very young when they stopped believing and even made fun of my 'Santa' present.
    I know kids are kids but it's just so sad to see kids that are cynical and serious.
    As someone else said, you are only a child a relatively short time and its important to hold onto the magic.

I'm well grown up now but there's always time for magic and make-believe. I'll still be watching the skies on Christmas Eve night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

My brother and I found out when we were 8. Of course he took great delight in telling his class that Santa was their mam and dad the week of the Christmas holidays.
    All the yummy mummies we're fit to murder my mother

Remember her turning around to one having a go at her and saying, what do you want me to, stick duck tape across his mouth :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

My brother and I found out when we were 8. Of course he took great delight in telling his class that Santa was their mam and dad the week of the Christmas holidays.
    All the yummy mummies we're fit to murder my mother

Remember her turning around to one having a go at her and saying, what do you want me to, stick duck tape across his mouth :pac:

It might seem like a laugh but it would have ruined Christmas for a lot of those kids. I know kids will eventually learn sooner than later, but what fun would you get out of ruining it for others?

That's what I love about some kids - they learn the truth, but they don't tell their younger siblings because they know they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My 20 year old daughter tells me that she never really believed fully, and if she kinda did, she was afraid of him (big fat man with a beard ho ho ho etc) more so then anything else , and was relieved and almost delighted when she finally confirmed to herself that it wasn’t real .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's what I love about some kids - they learn the truth, but they don't tell their younger siblings because they know they shouldn't.

Yes but 'the class' HAS to know!

Advertisement