Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XVG Looks promising !!

Options
  • 21-12-2017 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

From what I've read XVG (verge) Seems like a pretty solid currency,
    Anyone have any positives or negatives to point out ?
    I'd be interested to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

It’s a good white paper read if your info it.

If your in it for money,
    Short term: gains can be made. It went from .03c to .16c in 24/48 hours.
    Long term: once their Wraith protocol goes live, market value should increase more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

steo_magra wrote:
    From what I've read XVG (verge) Seems like a pretty solid currency, Anyone have any positives or negatives to point out ? I'd be interested to hear.

What makes its a better currency than Monero?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Blacktie. wrote: »

Option to hide IPs without having to start a TOR connection yourself or waiting for Kovri to be finished.

Not much of a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Blacktie. wrote: »

I’m not really looking to compare it with other cryptops. I’ve read a bit on it and was wondering if other people here thought it was a good investment. It seems a lot of people have been buying it lately.

steo_magra wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people have been buying it lately.

Mostly caused by McAfee shilling it in the middle of the month. They had no other news!
    Their biggest claim to fame at the moment is that Stealth Addresses/Wraith will be implemented soon, hopefully.

But it could well make a lot of money.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Mostly caused by McAfee shilling it in the middle of the month. They had no other news!
    Their biggest claim to fame at the moment is that Stealth Addresses/Wraith will be implemented soon, hopefully.

But it could well make a lot of money.

Might not be worth investing in after all. That guy is on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johnwoods

It's a fork of an old Dogecoin codebase (the meme coin with the dog). It doesn't have any privacy features, at all.

It has a richlist: https://verge-blockchain.info/richlist (how can a privacy coin ('future of privacy') have a rich list??)

Look at the distribution, half the coins owned by just 25!! addresses.

It's nonsense. One rude developer, and an army of misinformed shills.

Moreover, why do you (and clearly thousands of others) think this abomination of a 'coin' is in anyway private?

Does no one look before investing?

P.s. I know TOR, any, literally ANY coin can run over TOR and have the same privacy as verge, so you might as well use one that works like Monero (or ZEC even though I don't personally like ZEC for idealogical reasons).

Also, hiding node IPs is pointless, it’s transaction propagation where you want to hide the IP.

People who aren’t near professional cryptographers/comp engineers are going to get rekt when the tide goes out on crypto.

johnwoods wrote: »
    It's a fork of an old Dogecoin codebase (the meme coin with the dog). It doesn't have any privacy features, at all.

It has a richlist: https://verge-blockchain.info/richlist (how can a privacy coin ('future of privacy') have a rich list??)

Moreover, why do you (and clearly thousands of others) think this abomination of a 'coin' is in anyway private?

P.s. I know TOR, any, literally ANY coin can run over TOR and have the same privacy as verge, so you might as well use one that works like Monero (or ZEC even though I don't personally like ZEC for idealogical reasons).

Also, hiding node IPs is pointless, it’s transaction propagation where you want to hide the IP.

People who aren’t near professional cryptographers/comp engineers are going to get rekt when the tide goes out on crypto.

Unfortunately we aren’t all geniuses like yourself head

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Most dabbling in alts are speculating. There's no guarantee any tech will triumph or flop. But XVG is cheap. You can have 2000 of them for the same price as 1 Monero and 3000 for the same as 1 ZCash coin. Who wouldnt want to take a chance on something which could just as easily moon as sink, but have thousands of them instead of 1?
    I know the percentages are the same but then many look at their wallets and see less than .1 bitcoin and a couple of ETH and/or LTC, why wouldnt they want 2000 XVG to give them a nice cosy glowing feeling inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Good post, from all I've read on it, it doesn't seem to have any advantages over Monero, and has a public blockchain, which would seem to be counter intuitive to what they're trying to achieve.

Monero, from what I can see at least, seems to be the OG of privacy.

That said, this market doesn't necessarily seem to care about the technical fundamentals of a coin. There's simply too many out there, and people don't have the inclination to do deep research to try and understand their investment.

It's sheer Gambling in many points, people out to make a quick buck with 'calls' been flouted around like guys who are 'in the know' about horses.

But what do I know? I decided not to invest in XVG around 10 days ago based on my research above. That and missing out on a 15+ x return worked out well, didn't it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Most dabbling in alts are speculating. There's no guarantee any tech will triumph or flop. But XVG is cheap. You can have 2000 of them for the same price as 1 Monero and 3000 for the same as 1 ZCash coin. Who wouldnt want to take a chance on something which could just as easily moon as sink, but have thousands of them instead of 1?
    I know the percentages are the same but then many look at their wallets and see less than .1 bitcoin and a couple of ETH and/or LTC, why wouldnt they want 2000 XVG to give them a nice cosy glowing feeling inside?

You're joking right? So supply means nothing to you, it's all about the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

KilOit wrote: »
    You're joking right? So supply means nothing to you, it's all about the price?

I'm not talking about me personally, just the many that have bought into crypto in the hopes of getting rich. Take a small value coin and see its value skyrocket looks a lot more appealing than taking a high priced coin like Monero etc. which is just as risky.

Number of coins circulating doesnt apear to mean as much as people think. XRP has billions and it didnt affect its rise. People look at price and percentages before maket cap and very long before circulating supply.

I'm not talking about me personally, just the many that have bought into crypto in the hopes of getting rich. Take a small value coin and see its value skyrocket looks a lot more appealing than taking a high priced coin like Monero etc. which is just as risky.

Number of coins circulating doesnt apear to mean as much as people think. XRP has billions and it didnt affect its rise. People look at price and percentages before maket cap and very long before circulating supply.

Number of coins means a whole hell of a lot. XRP might have billions but it's actually going into use, it's production ready after being tested and it will slowly but surely erode SWIFT's marketshare.
    The price rise has been phenomenal, but with good reason.

Verge has no good reason to be where it is - within spitting distance of Monero?!? Makes a mockery of the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Wraith just released on GitHub approx 60 mins ago.
    Market has gone nuts. Up from 1010 to 1700 in mere minutes.

Advertisement