Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hopelessly overpriced bicycle thread..!!Mod warning - no stolen bike discussion!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Trekker09 wrote: »

I'm tempted to ask how a bit of green and white paint turns a €500 frame with a rival groupset into an 8k bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

You’d wonder as to that poor chaps’ state of mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

Surely $8,000 is only about €6,700, got to pull him up on that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Trekker09 wrote: »

I think they accidentally added an extra '0' to the price. I should point that out to them as its probably a effecting potential.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dvntie wrote: »
    I'm tempted to ask how a bit of green and white paint turns a €500 frame with a rival groupset into an 8k bike

One of a kind don't you know. Olympic bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Frame built in Taiwan, exchange rate of $8000 New Taiwanese Dollar would be around €250........sounds about right :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone (i think from here) pointed out that the bike is from Taiwan (as are the company) where they use the taiwan dollar. 8,000 of those is 225 Euro

He came back and insisted the valuation he received was in US$......wished him GLWS.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously though, he's had it for sale for a lot lower. Even the wording of the add:
    "Lots of extras including a Bontranger xxx Carbon Fiber seatpost and a Sel Cof Carbon Fiber bar stem as well as Bontranger Race xxx Carbon Fiber handlebars and a Prologo One C.30 Carbon saddle to name a few.''

Wouldn't really consider them extras if you're buying a bike!!

Can we all chip in and buy it? We could do a time share sceme

• Advertisement

...........wondering if these are the rare wheels?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057804072

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Why is he putting such cheap wheels on such an expensive bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Eamonnator wrote: »

Because he’s deluded. He also sold an Aluminium Specialized Langster as a “carbon” “S-Works” “velodrome” bike in the past. Either he’s just some kid messing around or he should be banned from adverts for misrepresenting his items. That $8,000 is definitely Taiwanese dollars. That bike is worth €1,000 or so, if you could live with the manky paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Eamonnator wrote: »

I think he's be watching too much fast and loud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

spyderski wrote: »
    Because he’s deluded. He also sold an Aluminium Specialized Langster as a “carbon” “S-Works” “velodrome” bike in the past. Either he’s just some kid messing around or he should be banned from adverts for misrepresenting his items. That $8,000 is definitely Taiwanese dollars. That bike is worth €1,000 or so, if you could live with the manky paint job.

But it's a"once off build" and it's a Carbon Irish Olympic Bike Frame. and it'll be worth more in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The thing that annoys me most about that clown is his problem with correctly positioning handlebars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know an olympic athlete (triathlete - thought retired now) and she'd have been delighted if she was provided with an €8,000 bike.

It's mad Ted! He has it in his withdrawn ads for €2000!! The only addition is a set of €200 wheels FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

i know an olympic athlete (triathlete - thought retired now) and she'd have been delighted if she was provided with an €8,000 bike.

That bike is the difference between taking part and winning gold!

Bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Looks like he had a buddy text him back the price “estimate”.

....OK, which one of you bought it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I reckon Guym was putting us all off in here so he could buy it himself ��

Definitely looks like a native English speaker alright

Definitely looks like a native English speaker alright

He had it marked sold.....I thought the fella coming from limerick had bought it :D:D:D:D Now he has it relisted at a massively discounted €3850....

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/rts-carbon-once-off-olympic-build/14473285

He's had a mountain of time wasters and dreamers.....poor fella:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

And it's gone again. Wonder if the new post will be €2000 this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Love the screenshot of the random text message valuing the bike at €8k. Seems legit.

Edit: It's actually $8k so less than €7k, about €6.75K.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

amcalester wrote: »
    Love the screenshot of the random text message valuing the bike at €8k. Seems legit.

Edit: It's actually $8k so less than €7k, about €6.75K.

To be fair he never actually specified what dollar. 24 countries use dollar so if the valuation was in Guyanaese Dollar that would come in around €30-€35 so we're getting closer to the true valuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Which one of ye keeps saying it's worth €1000? The frame is a crap colour for one and the wheels are ****e. Groupset is average. I'd have thought €500 no more and even at that I'd be around €200

Advertisement