Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE Radio 1 LW

Options

Comments

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Another reason not to look into buying an electric car -- I'll run my diesel into the ground .
    Interesting read for you here if you are into geek coding -http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/09/why-you-cant-get-am-radio-in-your-bmw-i3/

Anyway back to topic -- sorry.
    Regards

Here you go, I enabled AM/SW only get 49 meter band but absolutely amazing to receive any SW in a car.... really delighted , it was a nice surprise. I have to do more testing, I haven't driven yet to see if the electric drivetrain effects it and whether it was a real reason BMW disabled it. Anyway see below screen shots.

yP4wcNe.jpg?1

vbOj9pS.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You'd be surprised at the reasons some people listen to shortwave, you can hear topics, discussions that are interesting that appeal to a lot more than the targeted audiences. Not everything is available on the internet.

Scanning mw/sw you can hear interesting stuff rather than the daunting task of scanning thousands of internet stations which would make it far less likely to find something you want/like.
    Gawd that takes me back to a time in the '70s listening to Radio Moscow, not for their politics, but the totally different slant they put on world events. Quite often you would hear news stories there that somehow got missed by BBC et al.

Yes our Media is quiet controlled and we have no free speech and can't say anything without fear of getting sued. In other countries it's quiet different.

But I do like scanning shortwave to hear different goings on around the world from other cultures , news etc.

Unfortunately, too good to be true, AM/SW is dreadful once the motor kicks in, BMW say the carbon Fibre body is the reason for this interference that a metal body provides much better shielding, who knows ? but I can see why they disabled it, now the question remains whether they didn't bother to try shield it in the first place because originally BMW had stated that no one listens to MW these days anyway and they couldn't be more wrong and they realise this now and are working on making AM work. But I can bet BMW thought that anyone who buys such a car would only stream from phones and hardly use the FM radio never mind AM !

AM worked great in the Nissan Leaf though, I never tried it in my test drive in the Hyundai Ioniq EV only version.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

More power to your elbow getting the radio to work on AM !!
    We once had a Merc Sprinter that had the 49m band on it -- interesting .
    Now for a Guinness !!
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    UK's Department for Culture, Media & Sport published a consultation on Commercial radio deregulation about a month ago. The consultation outlines their proposals on how they intend to deregulate commercial radio.

Concentrating on one particular aspect in relation to this thread, the consultation seeks "views on the option of removing the current restriction on overseas-based radio services from being able to apply to Ofcom for a licence to be carried on UK DAB multiplexes, even where the station in question is willing to be subject to regulation by Ofcom".

The UK's DCMS has published the government's response to its Commercial radio deregulation consultation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/commercial-radio-deregulation-consultation

In relation to the licensing of overseas radio services including RTÉ it says,
    20. Section 245 of the Communications Act 2003 prevents overseas stations from being licensed by Ofcom and they cannot be carried on DAB. This includes overseas stations such as RTÉ and Radio Luxembourg that have been available to the UK since the 1930s. This question attracted a high number of responses overall including from members of the public who are frequent listeners of RTÉ. The majority of respondents were generally supportive of the proposal to license overseas service providers on UK DAB, however a small number opposed it because of concerns about the implications for content standards. One respondent was uncertain about the proposal

23. A further small number of respondents were in favour of limiting the proposal to Irish broadcasters only or solely RTÉ, and some were not in favour of licensing any overseas services on DAB at all.

24. There is clearly strong support for RTÉ and other Irish services to be allowed to broadcast on the UK’s digital radio platform with many respondents stressing that the RTÉ broadcast on longwave (a services that has been available in the UK since the 1930s) is of particular importance to members of the Irish community living in the UK.

25. We carefully noted the concerns that respondents raised in particular the importance of Ofcom being able to secure compliance and the need for Ofcom to have the powers to order multiplex operators to take down overseas services that did not comply with the requirements. We still intend to make changes to enable Ofcom to license overseas services on DAB but agree with the respondents that a more gradual approach to change is appropriate, starting with Republic of Ireland services with the capability to extend the arrangement to stations licensed in the EU and other countries. Before doing so we will need to consider protections and reciprocal arrangements may be needed to support this relaxation.
    Question 2 - international licensing. We still intend to seek powers to enable Ofcom to license overseas services but want to secure this by adopting a more gradual approach. We will start with Republic of Ireland services and only consider extending this to stations licensed in the European Union (EU) and other countries after we have assessed what reciprocal arrangements may be needed to protect against the broadcast of harmful content;

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I doubt RTE would have a problem with Ofcom regulation of content broadcast on UK DAB.

What about the NIMM TV multiplex? Does that put RTE1/2 and TG4 content under Ofcom regulation? Why doesn't the NIMM carry Radio 1?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I doubt RTE would have a problem with Ofcom regulation of content broadcast on UK DAB.

I think it was mentioned previously that the service would be tailored for the UK, advertising etc.
    What about the NIMM TV multiplex? Does that put RTE1/2 and TG4 content under Ofcom regulation? Why doesn't the NIMM carry Radio 1?

The NImux licence - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0030/98094/Northern-Ireland-Licence-incl-Variation-No3.pdf

Never came across the reasoning why RTÉ Radio 1 isn't carried but as regards Irish language services TG4/RnaG, this would fall under the Good Friday Agreement and the carriage costs associated with these are borne by the UK government.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Surprising RnaG wasn't carried from Divis in that case given that TG4 had a low power relay on Ch59 from Divis (which was so low on power compared to the BBC services that it was pretty much useless - and the fact that there was a high power relay of Channel 4 on Ch59 in Newcastle).

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Ofcom are to relax the rules banning RTE Radio 1 from broadcasting on DAB Radio in the UK. It won't happen overnight, the UK government is to sort out rights issues.
    www.a516digital.com

• Advertisement

The Brits will love Joe Duffy, seriously though that show is a national embarrassment and should be axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

The Brits will love Joe Duffy, seriously though that show is a national embarrassment and should be axed.

Agreed. Personally I think RTE1 in general is a pretty good station with a decent enough format to suit most tastes. But Liveline (aka Whineline as my mother calls it) really doesn't do its image any favours. Just imagine having something similar on BBC R4? Dear God...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

FM also an issue for Donegal people driving to Dublin - especially around Omagh

Agreed. Personally I think RTE1 in general is a pretty good station with a decent enough format to suit most tastes. But Liveline (aka Whineline as my mother calls it) really doesn't do its image any favours. Just imagine having something similar on BBC R4? Dear God...

RTE R 1 could be a lot better if they still had Pat Kenny , axed Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy who is a complete disaster. And not a patch on Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny, he's utter useless and a pain to listen to. So apart from this RTE R 1 could be a lot better. It's strange though because I actually liked Tubridy on 2Fm on the morning Show back in the 00's, he's not suited for TV Talk shows or talk radio in general. Tubridy is the type of personality that he should be playing music off a play list or playing requests and he's actually do quiet well.

Check out these listenership stats for 2017.

http://www.bai.ie/en/media/sites/2/2017/10/October-2017.pdf

RTE R 1 could be a lot better if they still had Pat Kenny , axed Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy who is a complete disaster. And not a patch on Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny, he's utter useless and a pain to listen to. So apart from this RTE R 1 could be a lot better. It's strange though because I actually liked Tubridy on 2Fm on the morning Show back in the 00's, he's not suited for TV Talk shows or talk radio in general. Tubridy is the type of personality that he should be playing music off a play list or playing requests and he's actually do quiet well.

Check out these listenership stats for 2017.

http://www.bai.ie/en/media/sites/2/2017/10/October-2017.pdf

Duffy should have been given a golden handshake ages ago and taken his Liveline show out the gate with him. You're right yeh, Tubridy was passable on 2fm, not really suited to his current environment. Also agree with you on Pat Kenny, he was one of their best. But getting rid of Val Joyce was a travesty altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Long Wave will close on the 30th of June 2019, I noticed RTE FM radio is not as good as it used to be, especially from the Conc on oir site in North Kerry. Eventually RTE will close FM transmitters as well.

Oh Poor Val, what a Voice. One of the most relaxing amazing voices ever ! I used to listen to him on my Summer holidays on my little Sony Walkman back in the 90's.

What happened Val again, didn't he fall ill or something ? I believe it was talked about here several pages back but I forget.

Long Wave will close on the 30th of June 2019, I noticed RTE FM radio is not as good as it used to be, especially from the Conc on oir site in North Kerry. Eventually RTE will close FM transmitters as well.

Why end FM ? what's the advantage to the Public ?

May happen eventually but not for a good while yet. Bearing in mind that RTE is a public service broadcaster and has a requirement to provide as close to universal coverage as is reasonably practicable. Their current DAB network, needless to say, does not fit that definition. In much the same way that BBC won't be permitted to close the Radio Wales MW transmitters until its current coverage footprint (not including people listening in overspill areas) is matched by FM and/or DAB.

Oh Poor Val, what a Voice. One of the most relaxing amazing voices ever ! I used to listen to him on my Summer holidays on my little Sony Walkman back in the 90's.

What happened Val again, didn't he fall ill or something ? I believe it was talked about here several pages back but I forget.

Fact!!!

No as far as I can recall he was axed with very little warning. Can't remember the exact reason why...

• Advertisement

Anna Leddy was responsible for Axing Val, a woman on a mission !!! You'd think she'd have a bit more respect for a man employed in RTE since the 50's !!!

http://politico.ie/archive/interview-val-joyce-long-nights-journey

One thing for sure is that RTE Radio Won't be the same again without the likes of Val Joyce, Gay Byrne, and Maxi, even Pat Kenny.

Cathal, Tubridy, and Shay are just not as good, but, RTE R 1 is still a lot more listenable to the pure trype that's on 2FM today ! But that's not saying a lot for R 1.

A least Cathal is a lot more listenable to than Tubridy and the music isn't bad, but that Voice of Val's was so hypnotic !

It's quiet sad that the likes of the Joe Duffy Show can continue while Val Joyce gets axed, is that a sad reflection on the mentality of the listeners ? I do believe RTE 1 would do so much better if they could replace the Joe Duffy show for something more uplifting, more enjoyable and far less depressing and negative !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sad to see the emigrant community in UK being sold out again.
    Maybe something will be done for them.

Liveline has 370,000 listeners and is ranked 2nd highest after Morning Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2017/1026/915388-rte-announces-latest-jnlr-figures/

I listen to Morning Ireland every morning I go to work and every Morning I come off nights, it's a decent program. When I'm off shift I could hardly hear it with a 2 year old and 3.5 year old screaming the house down lol.

But 370K liveline listeners just proves there's something wrong with Irish People's mentality, or at least 370 K of them. Moaners and wingers. I think for the mental health benefit of Irish People that Live Line should be scrapped but thet's not likely given the figures.

Anna Leddy was responsible for Axing Val, a woman on a mission !!! You'd think she'd have a bit more respect for a man employed in RTE since the 50's !!!

http://politico.ie/archive/interview-val-joyce-long-nights-journey

Believe it or not I was talking to a German tourist in Co. Clare a couple of years back who told me he used to listen to Val Joyce on RTE Radio when he was a kid

One thing for sure is that RTE Radio Won't be the same again without the likes of Val Joyce, Gay Byrne, and Maxi, even Pat Kenny.
    Cathal, Tubridy, and Shay are just not as good, but, RTE R 1 is still a lot more listenable to the pure trype that's on 2FM today ! But that's not saying a lot for R 1.

2FM has certainly gone to the dogs in recent years, but I think that's more reflective of the quality of music today. IMO Radio 1 in the UK is only marginally better and Capital FM is more of the same

A least Cathal is a lot more listenable to than Tubridy and the music isn't bad, but that Voice of Val's was so hypnotic !
    It's quiet sad that the likes of the Joe Duffy Show can continue while Val Joyce gets axed, is that a sad reflection on the mentality of the listeners ? I do believe RTE 1 would do so much better if they could replace the Joe Duffy show for something more uplifting, more enjoyable and far less depressing and negative !

Like I said, Joe should have been sacked or pensioned off years ago. Put Val Joyce on presenting an afternoon show with a nice variety of all kinds of music, old and new. Now that'd be quality radio...

I'd tune in just to hear Val's Voice again , never mind the music !

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Folks - you are deviating off the subject

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why end FM ? what's the advantage to the Public ?

None.

FM is a near perfect medium for radio. It provides good quality with low noise and can provide excellent hi-fi stereo, can provide good coverage, is good for local radio, the spectrum cannot be used by anything else usefully - it should be left alone.

I do feel that MW should be used more in Ireland to free up FM spectrum. Keep the likes of Joe Duffy and Newstalk on MW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do feel that MW should be used more in Ireland to free up FM spectrum. Keep the likes of Joe Duffy and Newstalk on MW.

The main problem is that LW coverage is destroyed by the Algerian station. It would make sense for RTE 1 to move to MW because so many stations have abandoned it and MW can be received almost as well as LW in the UK, particularly London. ( WE still have MW frequencies available. ) FM disappears very soon after leaving Holyhead, and doe not reach Belfast whereas MW would cover the whole island and most of Britain.

I am not sure about power levels though, but interference from electrical stuff should be a bit lower.

• Advertisement

Yeah it would make sense but they're not going to fire up the old 567 transmitter when they upgraded the 252 transmitter to solid state with DRM capability. Never going to happen, they're not going to pay for any maintenance that maybe needed since it was taken off air and I don't think they'd re tune the LW transmitter because LW is pretty crowded anyway, what they could do is lease some MW transmitters in the U.K that might make more sense ?

The whole point is that RTE deem mw/lw outdated technology that has no place in 2018 where everything should be digital, regardless of whether it benefits the listener or not they don't care, it's all about cutting costs and keeping technology up to date to benefit them or if everything is digital then that's the way it should be in 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement