Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD MSc in Computer Science (Conversion)

Options
  • 29-11-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I know there were many threads about this particular MSc. before, but I don't think my particular questions have been asked.

To anyone who's been through this course: How useful was it? - i.e.:

- Did it provide a solid foundational knowledge of computer science?
    - Development experience - did you gain good exposure to advanced programming concepts? Were there a sufficient number of development projects to balance out the theoretical concepts? Did you build full stack frontend to backend projects? etc.

I did a H Dip CS conversion course in Griffith College a few years back. I switched from law. It was a decent course that gave me some exposure to Java, SQL, HTML, CSS, Computer Architecture etc. It was enough to get me a job as a DevOps engineer, but I've always felt that I've suffered from a low depth of foundational knowledge vs someone who did a 3/4 year BS in Computer Science. I was good at Java, but that was only a 3 month module. It was relatively easy to get a 1:1 overall, but it was basically a narrow intro to everything without any real depth.

I've been wanting to upskill with a Masters, but I want to ensure that it's something much more substantial than what I've done before. My current job role involves writing basic scripts for installation - e.g. CMS (Chef cookbooks). I want a Masters to take me beyond this - challenge me to develop full stack software and also provide me with a solid grounding in theory. Not sure whether to go for this or a standard MSc. in CS (negotiated learning), since I don't wish to go for another vague one-year course that touches many areas, but covers none in sufficient detail.

Thanks for reading. Feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EireShane

I'm interested in potentially doing this course in the future too, it looks interesting. I'm curious, do you think they would allow you to do the conversion consider you've previously done a comp. science conversion course?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickmccarthy

I've heard that they will accept candidates who've previously done a CS conversion course. Just not sure if it's worth doing or not.

Advertisement