Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations struggling for sponsorship - 1 year deal only

Options
  • 17-12-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

I didn't see this mentioned here before but it seems the 6 Nations ended up having to sign a 1 year deal with Natwest (RBS) as there were no takers for their new 6 year 100m tender.

It seems Brexit might be causing jitters with Premiership Rugby forced to take a 30% cut to keep Aviva on board as they couldn't secure a sponsor either.

There could be tough times ahead for the unions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/six-nations-struggling-to-secure-new-sponsor-for-2018-1.3232201

Presumably these title sponsor contracts are signed in sterling and so a further weakness there won't be good.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I didn't see this mentioned here before but it seems the 6 Nations ended up having to sign a 1 year deal with Natwest (RBS) as there were no takers for their new 6 year 100m tender.

It seems Brexit might be causing jitters with Premiership Rugby forced to take a 30% cut to keep Aviva on board as they couldn't secure a sponsor either.

There could be tough times ahead for the unions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/six-nations-struggling-to-secure-new-sponsor-for-2018-1.3232201

Presumably these title sponsor contracts are signed in sterling and so a further weakness there won't be good.

IT was discussed on the general rugby thread a few months ago. I can't read the link due to the weekly Irish Times limit. I'm unsure what details are in the Irish Times article.

Here is my understanding of the issue.

RBS offered an increase on their existing sponsorship for six years and Wales and Scotland pushed other members to reject the offer.

They then went to the market and couldn't find anyone willing to offer enough to meet expectations and then the six nations went back to RBS with their tail between the legs. RBS had committed their sponsorship budget elsewhere and could only offer a one year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Is that why Scotland were admant in backing the world cup hosts who offered the most money??

Not that I blame them - especially when competing against the big French budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yep. Wales and Scotland again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This article is better and free to view.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/23/six-nations-deadline-new-sponsor-2018

The Brexit uncertainty certainly won't secure any long term deals at the same value it seems.

The IRFU might be particularly affected as they pay salaries in euros yet majority of their revenue is in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I was wondering was RBS using the NatWest brand for the 6N main sponsor good value for money for RBS? NatWest as far as I am aware is only used in England and Wales so it's irrelevant to the rest of the nations compared to if another sponsor that was pan European .

• Advertisement
Advertisement