Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing project car but computer says No!

Options
  • 06-11-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

So I am booked to bring my old project car in from UK this week which is on a trailer. I am only here for a week as I have to go back (booked ticket). I wanted to call into the NCT station and have the ID cross checked and pay the €200. Then I can keep an old reg number when it hits the road again. It takes 5 minutes to check the engine and chassis number against my documents. They take copies of the receipt, proof of ID etc. job done.....
    If possible drive it there direct from Port or if not the next day.
    No chance as the earliest booking is 21st November. I explained I would not be here as I have to collect another trailer of gear so going back next week. "Sorry we cant get a booking before 21st". So what happens then if I am over the 30 days because you cant squeeze me in 5 minutes?
    "You will be charged penalties"
    Fine many thanks for that. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's called an appointment for a reason, once you're booked there won't be a problem with the 30 day bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Please check your facts -
    "Registering a used vehicle

The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) carries out a range of vehicle registration functions. When you want to register a vehicle, you must:

make an appointment with the NCTS within seven days of bringing the vehicle into the State
    and
    register it within 30 days of bringing it into the State.

You will pay additional VRT if you fail to register the vehicle within 30 days. This usually arises where the documentary evidence is not produced at the time the vehicle is presented for registration."

You have to produce evidence of the import by way of travel ticket etc. so they have the date it was imported. Making an appointment does not relieve you of the obligation to have it registered within 30 days unless I am missing something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

freddyuk wrote: »
    "You will be charged penalties"
    Did someone really say that?

The VRT booking office said "additional charges". Since the rule is clear on the 30 day limit I would like to comply because after that point they can avoid giving you an age related registration? This is clearly stated on the Citizens Information website:
    Any delay in registering your vehicle or paying Vehicle Registration Tax will make you liable to substantial penalties - including forfeiture of your vehicle and prosecution.
    I have to prove the date of entry of the vehicle, book an appointment within 7 days and turn up within 30 days for the inspection or I will be penalised with additional charges. I can take the vehicle out and bring it back in to comply with their diary dates.
    It may not actually happen that way but that is rule and the VRT office are not able to offer me any flexibility. I am not prepared to take a chance so will need Plan B but why make it so onerous for an innocent task. Having already done this with my on road car I know the procedure for ID confirmation and it takes a few minutes. I have tried the correct procedure and it will not work with the trailered car unless I cancel my ferry bookings.

How old is the car, and is it drivable/roadworthy?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I think there is some confusion in your posts as regards registration numbers allocated to imported vehicles.

Is your classic currently on a U.K. registration number?
    If so, this will not remain on the car following importation - you can opt for either a Year or ZV registration number.

I don't know where you are getting your info about possibly being 'denied an age related registration number, if you are over the 30 day limit?!

Incidentially, from experience, in reality they don't generally impose penalties on vintage imports as the fines involved are so small. I know of cars being brought for registration over a year after importation, with no fines imposed. Having said that, anybody could be unlucky enough to have fines imposed in their case, so it's always best practice to comply with the 30-day rule if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

How much of a project is it? They won't VRT it unless it's a complete and viable car.

Age related numbers are not issued in Ireland. You will have a choice of the current series (ie 79wx12345) or a ZV series number. You cannot retain your UK number if that's what it has. If it already has an Irish number it's unlikely you'll need to VRT it.

Lots of confusion in your post OP.

Have you asked them to advise you of cancellations or tried a different centre?

Surely the leeway the Revenue practice in relation to vintage car penalties is inversely proportional to the difficulty in meeting their 30 day requirements.

Did an actual human who understood your position tell you that you will be charged penalties?

Car is not drivable it's on a trailer
    It has UK reg which will be given an irish reg Which is why I am going to VRT
    If I don't do it now how will I register it when it's rebuilt? Maybe years time?
    It's a classic so I can provide engine and chassis number with log book.
    Pay €200 and take it home
    I am here 1 week then going back to collect my belongings. I cannot traipse round the country with a ton and half of car it's already stressful enough no good getting a cancellation as I may not be here!!
    So it will be in the country tomorrow with or without approval.

You can't rereg/VRT a non driving car, keep your documents until it's on the road.

• Advertisement

Once the car is in a complete state you can present it to be VRTd. You can't do it until then anyway. Not much you can do about it. Personally I'd be creative with my documentation

Dades wrote: »
    Surely the leeway the Revenue practice in relation to vintage car penalties is inversely proportional to the difficulty in meeting their 30 day requirements.

Did an actual human who understood your position tell you that you will be charged penalties?

Yes an actual human said after I explained very carefully that no matter if it was not registered within 30 days additional charges would apply. That's a penalty in my book. I did not see any point in taking it further as she was quoting the rule book. I already decided to ignore the stupid rules which I cannot abide by.

Time to give up replying to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I already decided to ignore the stupid rules which I cannot abide by.

Its not the rules that are being stupid!

They rules are there for all to follow, regardless of the personal cicumstances of an individual and his or her vehicle. If you bring in a foreghin registered vehicle you have 30 days to VRT and register it. You have to book an appointment and wait your turn like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

And the rules are clear. And the process is smooth. Brought in a 30 year old car from the UK myself recently, booked the appointment on the day I brought the car in. Appointment was for sometime about a week later. Went to the appointment, there was nobody ahead of me, I had all the right paperwork and the whole process took about 10 minutes. Then I made the pament and got the cert with the reg on it. Was told it would take 24h before I could tax it and 48h before I could book the NCT. Tried the tax the next day and it worked. Tried the NCT the day after and it worked, booked the car in for the week after.

Isambard wrote: »
    Once the car is in a complete state you can present it to be VRTd. You can't do it until then anyway. Not much you can do about it. Personally I'd be creative with my documentation

Thank you for understanding my post. I am just looking for some evidence from the Irish government that states the car needs to be "running" or "mechanically propelled at this time" as the VRT centre could not or would not confirm this. The car is not running so accordingly if you are correct it cannot be VRT'd at this time. Hence the 30 days rule is of no effect.
    Then I rebuild the car and get it "running" and present for VRT inspection where they want proof of entry into the State within 30 days of the date of inspection ....... Ah, there is a problem. Seems an obvious problem to me.

I don't think it needs to be running nor does it need to come off the trailer. It does need to be complete though I think, or apparently so. In other words it needs glass and seats and all body panels, an engine etc.

Maybe you should regard it currently as a collection of parts and not a complete car until the last component is imported and present evidence of that? Not very helpful but I don't think there's an answer to this problem. The system isn't designed for the VRTing of a project., it's designed for the importation of viable cars.

The alternative is to present the car and have them refuse to VRT it , which covers the base of attempting to VRT it within the 30 days. Maybe they wont bat an eyelid and VRT for you as it stands. Humans vary.

T The car is not running so accordingly if you are correct it cannot be VRT'd at this time. Hence the 30 days rule is of no effect.

Not correct. The car does not have to be running and can be presented at the VRT office on a trailer and does not need to come off.

The nice lady in the VRT office I went to with my friends old Merc, told us that it has to be 'viable as a vehicle' and that this was subjective and up to the VRT officer.

She said as long as it appears complete, has an engine etc... it will be fine. The point she was making to us was that you can't VRT just a shell, it has to be for all intents and purposes a 'complete vehicle'

VRT'd the Merc no problem, it was rough but mostly complete, in fact as my trailer was high, she asked me to climb up an read out the VIN to her :eek: imagine that!

The solution to your problem is still to go and book a VRT appointment now, wait your turn and get it registered on an Irish reg. Declare it off the road as soon as you receive the paperwork and then you can do what you like with the car until you are ready to drive it. Simples!

If you are not available yourself it is possible for someone else to do it on your behalf

Thank you that is helpful information and confirms my suspicions that it is subjective and there are no rules to follow that make it a simple task to complete. The car is complete except it has no seats/bumpers/dashboard but it has chassis ID and engine ID present and that is what identifies the car. It is now off the trailer and in my garage.
    I have a way to complete the VRT process as this car does not exist in Ireland as far as anyone is concerned. I just need to disclose at the right time that a car came through the port of entry on a trailer and book a VRT within 30 days of that. The car is then presented with docs and gets registered.

I bet you have a TV license. ;)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I bet you have a TV license. ;)

And a Dog licence......

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I've been sent away from VRT appointment at the NCT centre because I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me. They weren't satisfied with seeing it running, I had to make another appointment and come back another day. They required that I remove it from the trailer and drive it back on in front of them.

pryantcc wrote: »
    I've been sent away from VRT appointment at the NCT centre because I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me. They weren't satisfied with seeing it running, I had to make another appointment and come back another day. They required that I remove it from the trailer and drive it back on in front of them.

wow, book it in somewhere else!

You came on here looking for advice, you got it, but ignored it.

I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me.

In all fairness that is no ones fault but your own. The VRT process requires people to follow the rules and proccedures. Ignore them at your peril

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

aujopimur wrote: »

You came on here looking for advice, you got it, but ignored it.
    Testacalda wrote: »
    I couldn't remove the vehicle from the trailer. I didn't even bring ramps with me.

In all fairness that is no ones fault but your own. The VRT  process requires people  to follow the rules and proccedures. Ignore them at your peril
    There appears to be some confusion. I didn't come on here looking for advice. I am simply sharing my experience which contradicts the advice that freddyuk has been given in this thread. I thought it might be useful for him to know that the NCT centres don't all take a relaxed view and some will require proof that the vehicle can propel itself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not a classic, but I did some research recently on the VRT registration requirements, and the relevant information is fairly clear. If it' can't be driven, or moved, it can't be VRT processed as it's not a mechanically propelled vehicle. I have highlighted in bold the bits that seem to be pretty categoric to me.

The vehicle I brought in is at present a non runner due to major mechanical issues, and it will be a little while before it can be driven. It may well be the case that the local VRT office will try to impose a late penalty, but it will be appealed if it happens, as I am also aware of a case recently where a NI vehicle that had serious mechanical failure while visiting the Republic was bought, and subsequently repaired by the purchaser, and he appealed the surcharge, which was refunded on appeal.

The obligation to register arises within 30 days of importation for a mechanically propelled vehicle which is defined in section 130 Finance Act 1992 (as amended in 2007) as

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle that –

(a) has been designed and constructed for road use,
    (b) is, at the time of declaration for registration, in compliance with any measures taken to give effect in the State to any act of the European Communities relating to the approximation of the laws of Member States in respect of type-approval for the type of vehicle concerned,
    (c) isi ntended or adapted for propulsion by a mechanical means, or by an electrical means or by a partly mechanical and a partly electrical means, and
    (d) is capable of achieving vehicle propulsion at the time of registration, to the satisfaction of the Commissioners,

Road traffic act 1961
    (2) Where a vehicle, which, apart from this subsection, would be a mechanically propelled vehicle, stands so substantially disabled (either through accident, breakdown or the removal of the engine or other such vital part) as to be no longer capable of being propelled mechanically, it shall be regarded for the purposes of this Act as not being a mechanically propelled vehicle.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement