Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people Virtue Signal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Virtue Signalling is the pejorative terms used by individualists when others dare to try to put the needs of the many ahead of the few.

There is nothing equal in this world

I’m white male living in the western world - I’m aware how things are stacked in my favour.

I’m Gay so that’s a minus. But I will fight for minority and women’s rights, because if you genuinely believe the world is equal, or somehow White Straight Men are now maligned, I’d advise take your head out of breitbart and look around you everyday.

The traveller family living in squalid conditions
    The woman being beaten by her partner - afraid to tell anyone and now she has died from her injuries (in aware there is also FoM domestic violence- I see it in my work)
    The young woman taking the lonely flight to London
    The guy working minimum wage jobs to try to support his family - never being able make ends meet
    The children with cancer and other terminal illnesses and their families- trying to cope with the huge struggle
    The man so up to his eyes in debt and unable to talk about it due to toxic masculinity he takes his own life as he thinks society views him as one of life’s failures
    The refugee family after escaping the horrors of Aleppo having to live in a new county- no idea of the language etc and being met with racism and bitterness

Call me a SJW all you want- it won’t deter me from trying any small way I can to try and redress the balance of the burden life placed on people
    Toxic masculinity? wow...so what is toxic femininity?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

lufties wrote: »
    I don't crave affirmation one bit.
    Yet you have opened a thread to tell us this. Just sayin'. ;)
    These days if you question anything deemed 'virtuous', you'll be labelled a naysayer or negative etc. I'm purely interested in getting to the psychology behind it. Simply because well, it bugs me that people go for cheap brownie points.
    Why does it bug you? Does the fact that it bugs you point to any "insecurity and weakness" on your part?

As I said above, everybody craves the approbation of others - its a basic human need - and we do various things that can look vain or foolish to get it. Your cousin invites people to observe his exercise routine. Others attempt to demonstrate their moral character with conspicuous displays of empathy. You open threads in which you can assert your independence and self-realisation. I do stuff too, but I'm far too repressed to tell you what it is.

This is a commmon human foible, in other words. If a one manifestation of it particularly bugs you, the reason for that probably lies with you, rather than with the people doing the manifesting.
    In your first point I agree, he did it topless in a desperate attempt to show off his muscles. If anyone says 'look at that muppet', he can say 'whattaya mean, I was doing it for the..em...veterans'
    But that's not virtue-signalling. It's narcissism plus, since your cousin is bright enough to know that he will be accused of narcissism, a degree of defensiveness against accusations of narcissism.

Virtue Signalling is the pejorative terms used by individualists when others dare to try to put the needs of the many ahead of the few.

There is nothing equal in this world

I’m white male living in the western world - I’m aware how things are stacked in my favour.

I’m Gay so that’s a minus. But I will fight for minority and women’s rights, because if you genuinely believe the world is equal, or somehow White Straight Men are now maligned, I’d advise take your head out of breitbart and look around you everyday.

The traveller family living in squalid conditions
    The woman being beaten by her partner - afraid to tell anyone and now she has died from her injuries (in aware there is also FoM domestic violence- I see it in my work)
    The young woman taking the lonely flight to London
    The guy working minimum wage jobs to try to support his family - never being able make ends meet
    The children with cancer and other terminal illnesses and their families- trying to cope with the huge struggle
    The man so up to his eyes in debt and unable to talk about it due to toxic masculinity he takes his own life as he thinks society views him as one of life’s failures
    The refugee family after escaping the horrors of Aleppo having to live in a new county- no idea of the language etc and being met with racism and bitterness

Call me a SJW all you want- it won’t deter me from trying any small way I can to try and redress the balance of the burden life placed on people

The term white as you use it is directly borrowed from an Americanised ideology that has little to do with Ireland. What does “white” even mean. Travellers are white. Northern Irish catholics are white. Most immigrants to Ireland are white. Irish people are hardly any dominant group - our nearest neighbours can’t even find the border, most would have no idea of the shared history.

On the other hand all Americans, regardless of race, do belong to a dominant culture, economy and project a military hegemony.

The rest of the stuff you care about might be related to you being a “minority” but it’s not necessarily virtue signalling. Unless of course it is. This is generally dependent on the person.
    As a straight white man who has travelled the world, I've experienced racism, bigotry (against christianity). The problem is people like this guy are brainwashed into victimhood by the mass media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Well I can tell right away that you are quite left leaning since you never mentioned the phrase 'alt right' or 'broflake'. Anyway, I don't live in Ireland, but you'd be naive to dismiss the impact 'The yanks' have had. As much as you dismiss these as 'Americanisms', they are relevant in Irish society, along with political correctness. I'm shocked at how liberal leaning Ireland has become, and I've only been away 9 years.

I was using those phrases as an example. I refrained from referring to anything as being "alt-right" because I don't think those phrases are exclusively used by the so-called alt-right movement these days. I genuinely have never heard of the term "broflake". I was trying to think of other pejorative phrases that might be used against the "right", but none came to mind. That's not saying that there are no such phrases in use of course.

I'm not dismissing the effect America has had on our political commentary at all. Quite the opposite in fact: I genuinely find it interesting. I do, however, find it discouraging that we should feel the need to model how we discuss politics on American habits, considering that too often debate in America is so poisonous, divided, and childish currently.

JC is correct though, this is all related to politics and not psychology, so again, I'm not sure what answers you hope to get in a psychology forum.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I don't crave affirmation one bit.
    Yet you have opened a thread to tell us this.  Just sayin'. ;)
    These days if you question anything deemed 'virtuous', you'll be labelled a naysayer or negative etc. I'm purely interested in getting to the psychology behind it. Simply because well, it bugs me that people go for cheap brownie points.
    Why does it bug you?  Does the fact that it bugs you point to any "insecurity and weakness" on your part?

As I said above, everybody craves the approbation of others - its a basic human need - and we do various things that can look vain or foolish to get it.  Your cousin invites people to observe his exercise routine.  Others attempt to demonstrate their moral character with conspicuous displays of empathy.  You open threads in which you can assert your independence and self-realisation.  I do stuff too, but I'm far too repressed to tell you what it is.  

This is a commmon human foible, in other words.  If a one manifestation of it particularly bugs you, the reason for that probably lies with you, rather than with the people doing the manifesting.  
    In your first point I agree, he did it topless in a desperate attempt to show off his muscles. If anyone says 'look at that muppet', he can say 'whattaya mean, I was doing it for the..em...veterans'
    But that's not virtue-signalling.  It's narcissism plus, since your cousin is bright enough to know that he will be accused of narcissism, a degree of defensiveness against accusations of narcissism.
    Ah that old chestnut of, if it bothers you it must be a manifestation of your own insecurities. Well I have adressed that in a previous post, if you cared to read.
    It bugs me because its a deceptive social interaction and cheap brownie points. If you were truly virtuous, you'd do it without broadcasting it over the internet. 
    Also, I started the thread beacuse its hard to talk about because you'll be met with a wall of silence. Did you read my previous post? Or maybe you are one of those fingers in ears 'lalalala' types? If your not gonna bother reading my posts, and trying to provoke with the same lines over again. Its prob better you don't reply at all.

• Advertisement

superglue wrote: »
    Well I can tell right away that you are quite left leaning since you never mentioned the phrase 'alt right' or 'broflake'. Anyway, I don't live in Ireland, but you'd be naive to dismiss the impact 'The yanks' have had. As much as you dismiss these as 'Americanisms', they are relevant in Irish society, along with political correctness. I'm shocked at how liberal leaning Ireland has become, and I've only been away 9 years.

I was using those phrases as an example. I refrained from referring to anything as being "alt-right" because I don't think those phrases are exclusively used by the so-called alt-right movement these days. I genuinely have never heard of the term "broflake". I was trying to think of other pejorative phrases that might be used against the "right", but none came to mind. That's not saying that there are no such phrases in use of course.

I'm not dismissing the effect America has had on our political commentary at all. Quite the opposite in fact: I genuinely find it interesting. I do, however, find it discouraging that we should feel the need to model how we discuss politics on American habits, considering that too often debate in America is so poisonous, divided, and childish currently.

JC is correct though, this is all related to politics and not psychology, so again, I'm not sure what answers you hope to get in a psychology forum.
    Answers? This isn't ask jeeves. I'm looking for opinions.
    By the way, I know its not politics, but a thread like this is bound to have an element of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

People who agree with the majority view are just as entitled to their views as those in the minority, and their views may be just as sincerely held. Using the term Virtue Signalling is very similar to the overused "faux outrage", an attempt to dismiss someone's views as being insincere.

Most people are insincere. Fishing for likes, for example putting a French flag on a facebook profile, it's just for the attention and a pat on the back. It helps absolutely nobody. A lot of people are that way unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah that old chestnut of, if it bothers you it must be a manifestation of your own insecurities. Well I have adressed that in a previous post, if you cared to read.
    It bugs me because its a deceptive social interaction and cheap brownie points. If you were truly virtuous, you'd do it without broadcasting it over the internet. 
    Also, I started the thread beacuse its hard to talk about because you'll be met with a wall of silence. Did you read my previous post? Or maybe you are one of those fingers in ears 'lalalala' types? If your not gonna bother reading my posts, and trying to provoke with the same lines over again. Its prob better you don't reply at all.

Sorry I'm very confused at this point after reading your posts.
    Do you want your cousin to do shirtless press ups for veterans in secret?

People who agree with the majority view are just as entitled to their views as those in the minority, and their views may be just as sincerely held. Using the term Virtue Signalling is very similar to the overused "faux outrage", an attempt to dismiss someone's views as being insincere.

Most people are insincere. Fishing for likes, for example putting a French flag on a facebook profile, it's just for the attention and a pat on the back. It helps absolutely nobody. A lot of people are that way unfortunately
    Perhaps thats why I hate virtue signalling, because I'm gernerally a no nonsense person. However, after the paris attacks I did change to a french flag to follow the herd. I cringe about it now.

A canadian doing push ups shirtless online to raise awareness for american war vets. Perhaps if he just did the push ups with the virtue signalling bit, I'd have more respect. It basically translated to 'I wanna show off my muscles/fitness levels, and this seems like a worthy narrative to deliver it with'

• Advertisement

A canadian doing push ups shirtless online to raise awareness for american war vets. Perhaps if he just did the push ups without the virtue signalling bit, I'd have more respect. It basically translated to 'I wanna show off my muscles/fitness levels, and this seems like a worthy narrative to deliver it with'

I am not that easily silenced, lufties!

Discussing the nature and function of virtue-signalling is fine. But right from the opening post you have been talking about yourself, in contrast to those who you perceive to be engaged in virtue-signalling, about whom you express negative judgments. ("I never feel ashamed for my views . . . people like to be moral police . . . Its sort of pathetic".) Intentionally or not, there's a clear contrast between the positive judgments you express about yourself, and the negative judgments you express about others, and this is sustained through your various posts. So, yeah, it does look a bit defensive.

You may not have intended it that way, but this doesn't read like something that's just intended as a discussion of the rationale and function of virtue-signalling. There is an "I thank the Lord that I am not as other men" air to your posts.

If that's not the vibe you're reaching for, probably best to stop talking about yourself, and just stick to talking about virtue-signalling. If you talk about yourself, people will respond about you; that's how discussion boards work.

And, talking of discussion boards, yeah, the internet will abound with both actual and apparent virtue-signalling. Actual because, if I want to say something that will sound good but cost me nothing in practical terms, a discussion board is the ideal place for it. And also apparent because, if I'm somebody who talks the talk but also walks the walk, on social media you're only going to see me talking the talk. My positions may look like virtue-signalling to you, but in fact that's because you're only getting half the picture; the other half might show that I am genuinely virtuous.

So, yeah, virtue-signalling is real but (a) there may be less of it about than is commonly supposed, and (b) it's just one particular manifestation of a wider reality, which is the human need for social approbation, and the things we do to secure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Take a selfie and post it to end world hunger.

It's disgusting behaviour like that that pisses me off. The worst are the narcissists that film themselves giving a sandwich to the homeless and post it on facebook, complete with emotional music. People are so stupid these days, that they fall for absolutely anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

To answer the OPs question, people virtue signal because social media with it's "likes" and "thanks" creates an online economy of virtue.
    The unit of exchange is the approval of others. Therefore participants in this economy of virtue work to earn the approval of others.

On more vitriolic platforms like Twitter participants regularly tear down one another with witch hunts over nebulous crimes like "otherism" and "privilege". This keeps virtue from being devalued by too many participants having a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Perhaps thats why I hate virtue signalling, because I'm gernerally a no nonsense person. However, after the paris attacks I did change to a french flag to follow the herd. I cringe about it now.

French flag on profile. Can the mind vomit?

Awh dear god. Forget french flag You need some serious self flaggellation. Consider yourself pun-ished. Ugh loook what you done. Yes you.

Social media in itself is by majority disingenuous. The fake edited lives lived out on it. Then there is the latching onto the tragedy of the day and outpouring of outrage.

But in all honesty if people posted who they really were. You might be equally disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

You know what, you are 100% correct. Sometimes I feel so lonely because I can't believe how stupid people behave nowadays. Even things like diet, most people just eat junk IMO. Personally I quit drinking earlier this year. I eat well generally with plenty of fruit and veg.

Why did you say this? For no apparent reason what so ever, you bring up the fact that you don't drink, eat well and eat lots of fruit and veg?

Maybe people "virtue signal" on Facebook for the same reason you're virtue signaling here, to make sure a bunch of strangers on the internet know that you're a good person who eats his carrots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

People in imparting enhanced version of self shocker

Dinner wrote: »
    You know what, you are 100% correct. Sometimes I feel so lonely because I can't believe how stupid people behave nowadays. Even things like diet, most people just eat junk IMO. Personally I quit drinking earlier this year. I eat well generally with plenty of fruit and veg.

Why did you say this? For no apparent reason what so ever, you bring up the fact that you don't drink, eat well and eat lots of fruit and veg?

Maybe people "virtue signal" on Facebook for the same reason you're virtue signaling here, to make sure a bunch of strangers on the internet know that you're a good person who eats his carrots.
    Nope the reason I said this is to demonstrate that I'm reasonable clever, but if I can live a healthy lifestyle anyone can. Our society nowadays promotes junk, for the body and mind. Having a good diet is nothing to do with virtue signalling. Honestly, I wish everyone ate healthily but we are brainwashed.
    I met a french girl last night was telling about her time in london, and the only thing she remembered about her hotel was that there was a burger king nearby. I was more disappointed more than anything else.

Nope the reason I said this is to demonstrate that I'm reasonable clever, but if I can live a healthy lifestyle anyone can. Our society nowadays promotes junk, for the body and mind. Having a good diet is nothing to do with virtue signalling. Honestly, I wish everyone ate healthily but we are brainwashed.
    I met a french girl last night was telling about her time in london, and the only thing she remembered about her hotel was that there was a burger king nearby. I was more disappointed more than anything else.
    In fairness, it was a really dull hotel. The adjacent Burger King was actually the most exciting thing about it.

Here's the thing though, nobody here cares whether you eat healthy, nobody here cares if you're clever or not. You wrote that post to try and show us that you look after yourself, and that we'd think you're clever, or are a good person.

In the same way, the Canadian on Facebook doing push ups for veterans is doing it so that you'll know he's physically fit, and cares about things (even if it is completely pointless). It's two sides of the same coin, everybody posts these things because they think it matters what other people think. If you didn't think it mattered, you wouldn't bother telling us.

Maybe you wouldn't be so lonely sometimes if you didn't look down on everyone who likes to eat burger king every once in a while, or think that any behaviour that you don't do (or, don't think you do) is stupid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lufties wrote:
    Nope the reason I said this is to demonstrate that I'm reasonable clever, but if I can live a healthy lifestyle anyone can. Our society nowadays promotes junk, for the body and mind. Having a good diet is nothing to do with virtue signalling. Honestly, I wish everyone ate healthily but we are brainwashed. I met a french girl last night was telling about her time in london, and the only thing she remembered about her hotel was that there was a burger king nearby. I was more disappointed more than anything else.

The world of marketing has a lot to answer for!

Here's the thing though, nobody here cares whether you eat healthy, nobody here cares if you're clever or not. You wrote that post to try and show us that you look after yourself, and that we'd think you're clever, or are a good person.

In the same way, the Canadian on Facebook doing push ups for veterans is doing it so that you'll know he's physically fit, and cares about things (even if it is completely pointless). It's two sides of the same coin, everybody posts these things because they think it matters what other people think. If you didn't think it mattered, you wouldn't bother telling us.

Maybe you wouldn't be so lonely sometimes if you didn't look down on everyone who likes to eat burger king every once in a while, or think that any behaviour that you don't do (or, don't think you do) is stupid...
    Its not looking down on anyone, its connecting with people who are 'woke', like me lol.
    If you want me to tell you that I'm better than you, I can.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lufties wrote:
    Nope the reason I said this is to demonstrate that I'm reasonable clever, but if I can live a healthy lifestyle anyone can. Our society nowadays promotes junk, for the body and mind. Having a good diet is nothing to do with virtue signalling. Honestly, I wish everyone ate healthily but we are brainwashed. I met a french girl last night was telling about her time in london, and the only thing she remembered about her hotel was that there was a burger king nearby. I was more disappointed more than anything else.

The world of marketing has a lot to answer for!
    Yep, said the late Bill Hicks. In an ideal world alcohol, fags and junk food would be banned (this coming from an ex drinker and smoker). We'd live non materialistic lives (for the most part). I'm a firm believer living minimally, it seems these days consumerism is a national hobby. Slave all week, and spend it on booze and shopping at the weekend.

Its not looking down on anyone, its connecting with people who are 'woke', like me lol.

You're 'woke', jesus dude what the **** happened to you when you were 34 to make you like this?

If you can't see that you behave the exact same as everyone else, then you probably never will. Once again, I don't care that you eat healthy and you had no reason to tell us that except to try and impress us. All of your posts here have been virtue signaling hard.

You're 'woke', anti-SJW, anti-virtue signaling, and 'enlightened' posts might impress people in whatever echo chamber you frequent, but in the real world you'll probably stay lonely.

Nice talking to you, man! Maybe you'll have another awakening when you hit 44 and everything will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lufties wrote:
    Yep, said the late Bill Hicks. In an ideal world alcohol, fags and junk food would be banned (this coming from an ex drinker and smoker). We'd live non materialistic lives (for the most part). I'm a firm believer living minimally, it seems these days consumerism is a national hobby. Slave all week, and spend it on booze and shopping at the weekend.

Even though I do like hicks, it sounds like a very unrealistic world, I actually think most if not all drugs should be legalised. They are here now, no point trying to deny or prevent their use, humans will always consume them. Our economic thinking is rather disturbing, it is slowly destroying our planet, therefore us.

You're 'woke', jesus dude what the **** happened to you when you were 34 to make you like this?

If you can't see that you behave the exact same as everyone else, then you probably never will. Once again, I don't care that you eat healthy and you had no reason to tell us that except to try and impress us. All of your posts here have been virtue signaling hard.

You're 'woke', anti-SJW, anti-virtue signaling, and 'enlightened' posts might impress people in whatever echo chamber you frequent, but in the real world you'll probably stay lonely.

Nice talking to you, man! Maybe you'll have another awakening when you hit 44 and everything will be ok!
    Haha, what happened? I saw the light is what happened. So your basically trying a personal attack because I have different opinions to you. If you are an SJW, leftist, feminist, then thats your opinion. However, I didn't attack you.
     This is why people can't stand millenial snowflakes, they are offended by everything.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lufties wrote:

Even though I do like hicks, it sounds like a very unrealistic world, I actually think most if not all drugs should be legalised. They are here now, no point trying to deny or prevent their use, humans will always consume them. Our economic thinking is rather disturbing, it is slowly destroying our planet, therefore us.
    Exactly, however its mainly the wrong ones.
    I did a shamanic retreat in South america last year and it changed my life. It showed me how we are manipulated in the western world. However, if you try point it out, you'll be labelled a this, that, and the other, in personal attacks

This is why people can't stand millenial snowflakes, they are offended by everything.

Say's the obviously offended guy...

:pac:

Say's the obviously offended guy...

:pac:
    Stop projecting. I couldn't give a yipedee sh1te what anyone says. I'm just pointing out logic, which obviously brainwashed snowflakes can't understand.

• Advertisement

Stop projecting. I couldn't give a yipedee sh1te what anyone says. I'm just pointing out logic, which obviously brainwashed snowflakes can't understand.

Sorry I appear to have triggered you. If you were as logical as you like to pretend you are, you'd see the logic in your vegetable eating virtue signaling.

I'll leave you alone now. :)

Advertisement