Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people Virtue Signal?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would there be any examples of virtue signalling on this thread?
    I don't know - have anyone changed their facebook pic or thoughts/prayers with the victims of <latest attack> yet?

I think a good example of virtue signalling is when leftist men that have claimed to be feminist allies etc are now exposed as rapists during the #metoo wave over the west.

On the topic of psychology. I don't think they know they are virtue signalling. They probably think it shows caring.
    Like oppressive parents think they are just showing care and love by controlling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lufties wrote:
    Exactly, however its mainly the wrong ones. I did a shamanic retreat in South america last year and it changed my life. It showed me how we are manipulated in the western world. However, if you try point it out, you'll be labelled a this, that, and the other, in personal attacks

This has been well known for a long time, noam chomsky and others have been writing about this for years. Conversations with those that work in marketing can be a little odd to say the least. Rory Sunderland's work is probably worth a punt to. We have probably always been manipulated in some way throughout history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lufties wrote:
    Exactly, however its mainly the wrong ones. I did a shamanic retreat in South america last year and it changed my life. It showed me how we are manipulated in the western world. However, if you try point it out, you'll be labelled a this, that, and the other, in personal attacks

This has been well known for a long time, noam chomsky and others have been writing about this for years. Conversations with those that work in marketing can be a little odd to say the least. Rory Sunderland's work is probably worth a punt to. We have probably always been manipulated in some way throughout history
    I moved back to Ireland briefly this year, with rose tinted glasses. Honestly I found it very depressing. Its a proper struggle living in Ireland nowadays. Websites like the journal.ie etc do a good job trying to spread a narrative to manipulate the masses. Women are constantly sold as victims, while male suicide is ignored. Its honestly hard being a straight bloke in Ireland, as you'll be demonised for questioning the prescribed narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lufties wrote:
    I moved back to Ireland briefly this year, with rose tinted glasses. Honestly I found it very depressing. Its a proper struggle living in Ireland nowadays. Websites like the journal.ie etc do a good job trying to spread a narrative to manipulate the masses. Women are constantly sold as victims, while male suicide is ignored. Its honestly hard being a straight bloke in Ireland, as you'll be demonised for questioning the prescribed narrative.

You maybe reading the wrong things, all media manipulates, all media has an agenda. I'm aware of the journal, but I don't read it. I've been questioning the norm all my life, more so now than ever. Have more or less lived here all my life, it isn't a bad ould country, has its issues of course, some serious, but on the grand scale, it's fine here. Maybe you were just not happy here, and that's fine to. You did something about it, you had options, and that's good, because some don't have those options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

lufties wrote: »
    Exactly, however its mainly the wrong ones.
    I did a shamanic retreat in South america last year and it changed my life. It showed me how we are manipulated in the western world. However, if you try point it out, you'll be labelled a this, that, and the other, in personal attacks

This sounds interesting. What sort of things did you do on the retreat? Were there any things in particular that you think influenced you the most?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lufties wrote:

You maybe reading the wrong things, all media manipulates, all media has an agenda. I'm aware of the journal, but I don't read it. I've been questioning the norm all my life, more so now than ever. Have more or less lived here all my life, it isn't a bad ould country, has its issues of course, some serious, but on the grand scale, it's fine here. Maybe you were just not happy here, and that's fine to. You did something about it, you had options, and that's good, because some don't have those options
    From someone who's lived in a few different countries, I guess Ireland isn't too bad. I grew up there and to be honest I got treated like dirt in my formative years. Returning to the same old cute hoor attitudes, just depressed me. As much as I miss my family, I know I'll never live in Ireland again.

superglue wrote: »
    Exactly, however its mainly the wrong ones.
    I did a shamanic retreat in South america last year and it changed my life. It showed me how we are manipulated in the western world. However, if you try point it out, you'll be labelled a this, that, and the other, in personal attacks

This sounds interesting. What sort of things did you do on the retreat? Were there any things in particular that you think influenced you the most?
    Look up plant medicines and you'll get your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Also, I'm not rich. But I've worked damn hard to get where I am, coming from a poor family and working for a euro an hour as a teenager.

Do you think it was right for your employer to take advantage of you by not paying the legal minimum wage?

ectoraige wrote: »
    Also, I'm not rich. But I've worked damn hard to get where I am, coming from a poor family and working for a euro an hour as a teenager.

Do you think it was right for your employer to take advantage of you by not paying the legal minimum wage?
    It wasn't right, but I was ignorant and didn't know any better. This was pre-internet days also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

It wasn't right, but I was ignorant and didn't know any better.

If you saw somebody with a well-paid job posting on facebook about the need for a liveable minimum wage, would you consider that to be virtue signalling?
    This was pre-internet days also.

Now you're making me feel old as I was working as a website developer back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

biko wrote: »
    I don't know - have anyone changed their facebook pic or thoughts/prayers with the victims of <latest attack> yet?

I think a good example of virtue signalling is when leftist men that have claimed to be feminist allies etc are now exposed as rapists during the #metoo wave over the west.

On the topic of psychology. I don't think they know they are virtue signalling. They probably think it shows caring.
    Like oppressive parents think they are just showing care and love by controlling you.

From a psychological perspective, it's an expression of covert narcissism.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When I was on Facebook (deleted now) I got into a fairly heated argument with a group of 'friends'. Just after the Paris terrorist attack a few years ago I saw people plastering their Facebook profiles with the France flag. I asked a simple question, why no Lebanon, Syria or Nigeria flag? There were substantial terrorist attacks in those places not long before. I got berated and abused. People don't like having their views questioned especially if they're in a mass herd..
    Especially liberals, because it challenges their hypocrisy. I've always been a bit anti-herd. Its just in my nature to challenge popular opinion.

biko wrote: »
    I don't know - have anyone changed their facebook pic or thoughts/prayers with the victims of yet?

From a psychological perspective, it's an expression of covert narcissism.

Its kind of why women aren't attracted to nice guys. Its deceptive. Demonstrating that you are 'nice', when you really just want to get into their knickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Look up plant medicines and you'll get your answer.

You went on the sesh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

From a psychological perspective, confirmation bias, cognitive distortions and naive realism all play a part - for both sides.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2017/07/20/yanss-101-naive-realism-rebroadcast/
    In psychology, they call it naive realism, the tendency to believe that the other side is wrong because they are misinformed, that if they knew what you knew, they would change their minds to match yours.

According to Lee Ross, co-author of the new book, The Wisest One in the Room, this is the default position most humans take when processing a political opinion. When confronted with people who disagree, you tend to assume there must be a rational explanation. What we don’t think, however, is maybe WE are the ones who are wrong. We never go into the debate hoping to be enlightened, only to crush our opponents.

Faith wrote: »
    From a psychological perspective, confirmation bias, cognitive distortions and naive realism all play a part - for both sides.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2017/07/20/yanss-101-naive-realism-rebroadcast/

In fairness I'm always open to logical debate as it is like a gym for the mind, I find that leftists attack you from a personal perspective.

It's because they don't have facts, only feelings.
    They cannot beat you with numbers so they try to smear you instead.

To admit they are wrong would cause too much cognitive dissonance.
    There have been cases where people were raped by refugees and have the strangest reactions afterwards.
    https://www.infowars.com/swedish-woman-raped-by-refugee-refuses-to-report-it-because-she-feels-sorry-for-him/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3528236/Male-Norwegian-politician-raped-asylum-seeker-says-feels-GUILTY-attacker-deported-man-suffer-Somalia.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

And so we have a typical example on lefty debating technique - jump on the linkage and disregard the content.

Those links are in English, as you probably cannot read the original language.

The DM article points to the actual Norwegian newscorp that first reported the issue
    https://www.nrk.no/ytring/jeg-ble-voldtatt-av-en-mann-1.12852714
    but of course no-one bothered about that in their fervour to shoot the messenger...

The infowars article points to a Swedish online paper that in turn links to the actual court case transcript
    http://www.friatider.se/v-ldtagen-kvinna-ville-inte-polisanm-la-det-r-synd-om-honom-f-r-han-r-flykting

Feel free to read them in original language using google translate.

I'm sorry mods, we seem to be leaving the aspect of Psychology here. Unless you count the above example of denialism ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Toxic masculinity? wow...so what is toxic femininity?

Women feeling the desire to not show emotion that it leads to their own demise

Women feeling the desire to not show emotion that it leads to their own demise

Should it not just called human toxicity then?

Tbh, virtue signalling seems mostly to be about narcissism. "Look at me, how great and altruistic isn't I?"

Perhaps Carl Rogers' theory about perceived self and ideal self play in with virtue signalling? Seems tenuous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The OP postulates the reasons why people do this, so why do they need more confirmation that their views are correct? they are not looking for a rational debate on the issue they appear to be looking for people with some training or background in psychology to agree with them maybe they feel that would validate their views or beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_testing

Mostly thought it is just the internet why is the OP so bothered about it, it does not affect them in any real way the most that could be said is that it is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

There you go! If you are politically conservative, it means that you aren't against social injustice, and that you believe that the wealthy should be rewarded and the poor penalised. Is that what YOU want?

The people who work harder than others and take more risks than others should be rewarded, yes.

I'm all for inequality. I don't want someone who is lazy and takes no risks in life to be handed the same resources I have if I work hard and take risks. THAT is fairness. Fairness and equality are not the same thing, fairness means allowing for inequality based on merit.

We need to start screaming from the rooftops that inequality should actually be the GOAL of society, because it means the talented and hard working are getting ahead due to their efforts and talent, and not stymied by other pathetic & envious people on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I hear you. Personally, i never had state support for anything whatsoever, bar the nhs in the UK. I left Ireland for Australia taking a debt of 6k with me in 2009. I worked to pay all that back, and funded travelling the world along with a university degree. Yes, some people are disadvantaged of course, but where is the line. People need to be accountable for their actions, I know we all make mistakes, but we pay for them too in many ways.

You didn't go to school here then no? Use dental services , go to college.

Some folks have a different interpretation of state support and seem to think they came out of the womb on their own steam and educated themselves

Amusing really.

Advertisement