Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New record beckons

• 12-12-2017 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭

Dublin have already surpassed Kerry's unbeaten championship run between 1978 and 1982, by 20 to 19.

As far as I can tell, Wexford have the overall record at 23 or 24 unbeaten games when they won four in a row. Records can be a bit patchy from back then and Wexford didn't enter a team for a few years so run ended after ten years by all accounts when they came back in 1924, if the records are accurate.

So if Dublin win Leinster and a quarter final next year that's another notch on the bedpost!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin have already surpassed Kerry's unbeaten championship run between 1978 and 1982, by 20 to 19.

As far as I can tell, Wexford have the overall record at 23 or 24 unbeaten games when they won four in a row. Records can be a bit patchy from back then and Wexford didn't enter a team for a few years so run ended after ten years by all accounts when they came back in 1924, if the records are accurate.

So if Dublin win Leinster and a quarter final next year that's another notch on the bedpost!

Wexford always competed, not sure where you are getting that stat from?

They lost to Dublin in 1919 in a second round game ending their run. I'm not sure of their total amount of games. But it would be slightly easier these days to have more consecutive games in a shorter period due to the addition of quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Not comapring like with like though, with different numbers in each province and ever changing championship structures. The only record that counts that is beckoning is the elusive 5 in a row and who would bet against it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

danganabu wrote: »
    Not comapring like with like though, with different numbers in each province and ever changing championship structures. The only record that counts that is beckoning is the elusive 5 in a row and who would bet against it!

You counting to 5 using a new method that omits 4?

funnyname wrote: »
    You counting to 5 using a new method that omits 4?

No, 5 comes after 4, I dodnt think that would need to be spelt out, again I may have give the general readership far too much credit :rolleyes:

In case you are not aware no county has ever won 5 in a row senior AI in either code ( 5 counties have attempted and all failed) and that is why I referenced that as being the most important milestone that Dublin will be aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

bruschi wrote: »
    Wexford always competed, not sure where you are getting that stat from?

They lost to Dublin in 1919 in a second round game ending their run. I'm not sure of their total amount of games. But it would be slightly easier these days to have more consecutive games in a shorter period due to the addition of quarter finals.

As I said, the records are a bit dodgy for some years, but found two years of what look like full championship after 1918 where Wexford were not mentioned.

SFC was really getting into stride up to 1918 when there was almost full participation from all 32 counties. It was badly disrupted after that with championships not being able to be concluded in same year again from 1919 until after the Civil War. Tipp beat Dublin in 1920 final but it was played after the Treaty and not long before the civil war began.

• Advertisement

No, 5 comes after 4, I dodnt think that would need to be spelt out, again I may have give the general readership far too much credit :rolleyes:

In case you are not aware no county has ever won 5 in a row senior AI in either code ( 5 counties have attempted and all failed) and that is why I referenced that as being the most important milestone that Dublin will be aiming for.

We'll they can't win 5 in a row if they don't win 4, take it handy for now and maybe revisit this in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bonniedog wrote: »

Ah the odds of Dublin winning Leinster are very low. Would be a big shock.

funnyname wrote: »
    We'll they can't win 5 in a row if they don't win 4.

Mensa called and want to know if you are available :rolleyes:

Mensa called and want to know if you are available :rolleyes:

Advertisement