Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Litecoin Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Coinbase appears to be struggling with traffic.

I'm not able to see my coins at the moment. Anyone else experiencing the same. I didn't transfer to another wallet.

Yes just trying to sell mine. No chance to get into my account

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

I'm saying it now - we'll top 450 tonight - where have I pulled this nugget of information from, well I just made it up - go currency speculation!

On a serious note, has anyone seen any patterns in day trading depending on the time of day here? It's breakfast time somewhere if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I'm saying it now - we'll top 450 tonight - where have I pulled this nugget of information from, well I just made it up - go currency speculation!

On a serious note, has anyone seen any patterns in day trading depending on the time of day here? It's breakfast time somewhere if you get me?

That mad dash coincided with 9am in the US. I feel like there's often a spike related to around the same time in Asia/Korea/China. It may mean nothing though and I'm seeing something that's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Elemonator wrote: »
    You are liable for 33% CGT tax.

Coinbase is down. I have been researching the CGT filings and if I cash some out now I have to pay by the end of the month and if I cash some out after January it is not to be declared until November next year correct?

If you cash out today you have to pay your CGT liability by 31 January 2018.

If you hold and sell in January 2018, CGT doesn't need to be paid until 15th December 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

If you hold and sell in January 2018, CGT doesn't need to be paid until 15th December 2018.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Or alternatively cash out 1,270 now and the rest in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

thunderdog wrote: »
    Or alternatively cash out 1,270 now and the rest in 2018

Someone listened, serious profit taking over the last hour or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I don't get this. I bought 1 litecoin at 70 odd euro. The price coinbase are showing on the graph is 315 but my litecoin wallet on coinbase is showing 262 .

What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

It is a bit worrying that Coinbase is down... does it fold often due to high volumes???
    Back to €299 on Gdax

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    It is a bit worrying that Coinbase is down... does it fold often due to high volumes???
    Back to €299 on Gdax

If its any consolation I cant get near Kraken either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well that worked out nicely :)
    Just bought LTC at €258.40 on Kraken, moved it to my coinbase account and deposited it on GDAX and sold for €320 :)
    The price had dropped to €282 on GDAX by the time the deposit hit the account but luckily there was a rally to €320 a few minutes ago.

Should the exchanges ever actually remain stable at peak demand there is huge scope for arbitrage, I just banked 25% on this transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

banie01 wrote: »
    Just bought LTC at €258.40 on Kraken, moved it to my coinbase account and deposited it on GDAX and sold for €320 :)
    The price had dropped to €282 on GDAX by the time the deposit hit the account but luckily there was a rally to €320 a few minutes ago.

Should the exchanges ever actually remain stable at peak demand there is huge scope for arbitrage, I just banked 25% on this transaction.

Very interesting read, i'd be interested in starting, no real experience but a few quid spare and aware its a gamble. Can i use Revolut?

Any advice/pointers?

If they were stable then the arbitrage opportunity probably wouldnt exist...

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Very interesting read, i'd be interested in starting, no real experience but a few quid spare and aware its a gamble. Can i use Revolut?

Any advice/pointers?

You cant use Revolut to transfer Crypto to alternative address/exchange as yet so there is no scope for arbitrage between exchanges.
    You can only Buy/Sell cryptomwithin the app and not via external exchanges.

Revolut is grand for buying crypto and moving gains back to Fiat, not so good for actually using crypto and transferring.

Regarding arbitrage itself, its high risk in particular where the exchanges tend to go down during peak periods.

With the number of crypto exchanges out there, there is always scope to purchase on 1 exchange and sell on another.
    The risks are high.
    1. there is always potential for transfer delay impacting on the trade, particularly with BTC.
    2. The volatility in pricing can mean any potential gain between exchanges can be wiped out leaving you at a loss.
    3. Transaction costs are always a concern.
    4. The main risk in this at the moment IMO is Exchange volatility, too often it is impossible to access an exchange account to take full advantage.

Hope that at least helps give an idea of where to start.
    Regarding advice on coins or investment, I'd never presume to offer advice on that. I'd always advise, read, research and second guess yourself ;)

GreeBo wrote: »
    If they were stable then the arbitrage opportunity probably wouldnt exist...

It would depend on what "stability" means.
    To my mind, its uptime and coping with peak demand.
    In a market of hundreds of exchanges, price propogation isn't immediate and there is huge variation across the main markets even at times of low volatility.

my "Stability" comment isn't focused on core pricing but rather market access that can impede the ability to take advantage of the price variations

You cant use Revolut to transfer Crypto to alternative address/exchange as yet so there is no scope for arbitrage between exchanges.
    You can only Buy/Sell cryptomwithin the app and not via external exchanges.

Revolut is grand for buying crypto and moving gains back to Fiat, not so good for actually using crypto and transferring.

Regarding arbitrage itself, its high risk in particular where the exchanges tend to go down during peak periods.

With the number of crypto exchanges out there, there is always scope to purchase on 1 exchange and sell on another.
    The risks are high.
    1. there is always potential for transfer delay impacting on the trade, particularly with BTC.
    2. The volatility in pricing can mean any potential gain between exchanges can be wiped out leaving you at a loss.
    3. Transaction costs are always a concern.
    4. The main risk in this at the moment IMO is Exchange volatility, too often it is impossible to access an exchange account to take full advantage.

Hope that at least helps give an idea of where to start.
    Regarding advice on coins or investment, I'd never presume to offer advice on that. I'd always advise, read, research and second guess yourself ;)

Thanks i might just use Revolut to dip my toes, buy a few coins and sit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

my "Stability" comment isn't focused on core pricing but rather market access that can impede the ability to take advantage of the price variations

You're not imagining the hedge fund market makers who'll be using bots spread across exchanges taking advantage of opportunities on every side.
    Give it time, it'll happen.
    There are a couple of small funds doing it now, but once Novogratz and his ilk really push in? If the exchanges can remain stable then prices will equalise across exchanges more and more as time passes.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thanks i might just use Revolut to dip my toes, buy a few coins and sit on them.

Holding is always a great way to go if you believe that past performance is an indicator.
    I have some HODL myself and to this day kick myself for selling my original bitcoin at €500 :o
    I try and hold on to the fact that it was a 1000% gain at the time ;) but if i had it now...
    I'd be in a lambo and up to my eyes in coke and hookers! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Nice pullback opportunities on Litecoin today. Going sideways now, perhaps headed for a dip. Thank you Litecoin for your volatility lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Coinbase is acting very strange. It is displaying that my Euro wallet contains what I should have in Bitcoin, my bitcoin wallet contains what I should have in my euro wallet and also the litecoin price is displaying in euros although it has taken the dollar conversion rate i.e. it is saying that litecoin is worth €315 instead of $315. I am going to cash out when it lets me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

tacofries wrote: »
    Coinbase is acting very strange. It is displaying that my Euro wallet contains what I should have in Bitcoin, my bitcoin wallet contains what I should have in my euro wallet and also the litecoin price is displaying in euros although it has taken the dollar conversion rate i.e. it is saying that litecoin is worth €315 instead of $315. I am going to cash out when it lets me....

Just transfer it over to Gdax and do your trading there, you'll get actual market prices, less fees and it isn't as buggy as Coinbase.

grindle wrote: »
    You're not imagining the hedge fund market makers who'll be using bots spread across exchanges taking advantage of opportunities on every side.
    Give it time, it'll happen.
    There are a couple of small funds doing it now, but once Novogratz and his ilk really push in? If the exchanges can remain stable then prices will equalise across exchanges more and more as time passes.

Oh most definitely, but much as with multi exchange traded stocks opportunity will still exist to some extent.
    Granted it will soon reach a stage where the only worthwhile gain will depend on high volume/value trades and us small guys won't see the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Oh most definitely, but much as with multi exchange traded stocks opportunity will still exist to some extent.
    That's the thing - these differences will even out to 1% ticks either way and these funds can use Ripple gateway to arb within 10-15 seconds.
    I wouldn't fancy my arbitrage chances against a team of bots with funds on every exchange.

Soak the current opportunities up while you can.

Holding is always a great way to go if you believe that past performance is an indicator.
    I have some HODL myself and to this day kick myself for selling my original bitcoin at €500 :o
    I try and hold on to the fact that it was a 1000% gain at the time ;) but if i had it now...
    I'd be in a lambo and up to my eyes in coke and hookers! :pac::pac:

Ouch, i intended to invest in bitcoin 5 or 6 yrs ago but life was busy, if only :eek:

It would depend on what "stability" means.
    To my mind, its uptime and coping with peak demand.
    In a market of hundreds of exchanges, price propogation isn't immediate and there is huge variation across the main markets even at times of low volatility.

I'm not talking core pricing either, Im purely talking exchange stability/access coupled with confirmation times.

If /when that stabilizes, there will be no massive arbitrage opportunites as there are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I sold 18 of my 23 for €230 each after paying €111 on sunday, I kept 5 for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Truckermal wrote: »
    I sold 18 of my 23 for €230 each after paying €111 on sunday, I kept 5 for the long term.

Looking to do something similar. But I only bought 6.5 coins at around 90ish each.

Just bought another now at 300 making it 7.5. Have a feeling its going to hit 500 by end of tomorrow. So will hold out till then.

Will sell 2.5 then for 1250 and keep 5. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Truckermal wrote: »

I understand selling to cover the initial investment but I never get why people sell them to make peanuts or small margins knowing how profitable these can be in the long run

Yes I get the whole trying to make a quick buck, but everyone knows the cryptocurrency stories by now - the friend who bought a couple of bitcoins for nothing back in whenever, kept them and now they are worth 80 grand.

No one knows which way the market with go, but these things could be worth a couple of grand a piece in a few years. This time last year, Bitcoin was worth 700 euros, it's gone up x20. Litecoin was worth 3 euros, it's gone up almost x100.

Whatever people think about cryptocurrencies, the money they can be cashed out for is very real. Based on everything we know so far, long term holding seems to be the most profitable by order of magnitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I understand selling to cover the initial investment but I never get why people sell them to make peanuts or small margins knowing how profitable these can be in the long run

Yes I get the whole trying to make a quick buck, but everyone knows the cryptocurrency stories by now - the friend who bought a couple of bitcoins for nothing back in whenever, kept them and now they are worth 80 grand.

No one knows which way the market with go, but these things could be worth a couple of grand a piece in a few years. This time last year, Bitcoin was worth 700 euros, it's gone up x20. Litecoin was worth 3 euros, it's gone up almost x100.

Whatever people think about cryptocurrencies, the money they can be cashed out for is very real. Based on everything we know so far, long term holding seems to be the most profitable by order of magnitudes.

They could also become suddenly worthless, or all drop to a small fraction of the value they are now.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »

I guess thats why he kept the 5 of them?

Advertisement