Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The words "died unexpectedly" on a death notice.

Options
  • 11-12-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭

I've never understood this being put on death notices. People do die suddenly but death at some point isn't unexpected.

I mean if you're in your 70s or 80s then you are expecting to die. I'm sure people want to live as long as they can but when it does happen it's not unexpected.

Yes I had a lot of time to think over the weekend and it was something that came up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

How hard is it to understand that people who aren't ill die unexpectedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

I think it is more a case of dying without any warning or being ill. If you had a terminal illness, then you may be expected to die within a more predictable timeframe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

dmc17 wrote: »
    I think it is more a case of dying without any warning

You mean....unexpectedly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you seriously not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

I once read an obituary in the local paper and it included the following gem. "His death came as a big surprise to many, sadly including himself, as he was due to go on a safari holiday next month."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean if you're in your 70s or 80s then you are expecting to die. I'm sure people want to live as long as they can but when it does happen it's not unexpected.

If a person seems relatively healthy one day, and is dead the next, well that's unexpected, whatever their age.

It’s notsoeasy, or so it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can drop dead without warning at any time.

Eg. About 1 in 50 have an aneurysm - fatal about 40% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So a one year old baby dies and you think "sure everyone dies, this is no different"
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel for threads this evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've never understood this being put on death notices. People do die suddenly but death at some point isn't unexpected.

Yes I had a lot of time to think over the weekend and it was something that came up.
    Someone in their 70s could still live for as long a period of time as I have been alive so far, (which is a bit crazy when I think about it and how I'm starting to feel oldish) and they don't spend that time just waiting to die. So if they are not ill it's still unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Surprisingly died.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The death has occurred of colour-blind Fred. He thought the lights were green when they were red.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Hay for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try to find someone to talk to about things like this.

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can drop dead without warning at any time.

Exactl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Like ricky gervais talking about the 90 year old woman who was attacked and suffered a bad facial cut. Local newsagent says to him "poor old lady.....scarred for life"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Often an euphemism for suicide, especially if it was a quite young person. It's probably the biggest killer in this country for under 40's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've seen it used as code for suicide. If "donations to Pieta House in lieu of flowers" accompanies it, well...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought 'tragically' was the code for suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

The thing about death notices that I don't understand are the ones that read like CVs. I read one recently that had all the qualifications of the deceased ie a string of letters after her name and not only that but had all the academic credentials of her surviving relatives listed as well. is the man at the pearly gates going to ask her how successful she and her relations were in academia before deciding whether she gets in or not? I mean when I read the death notice I would have known who she was anyway without all that palaver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I thought 'tragically' was the code for suicide?

And untimely, but that could be for an accident too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Comprehended unexpectedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

darkdubh wrote: »
    Often an euphemism for suicide, especially if it was a quite young person. It's probably the biggest killer in this country for under 40's.

Unexpectedly is just code for "wasn't terminally or gravely I'll", tragic would be more suicide related but not a definite code.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The thing about death notices that I don't understand are the ones that read like CVs. I read one recently that had all the qualifications of the deceased ie a string of letters after her name and not only that but had all the academic credentials of her surviving relatives listed as well. is the man at the pearly gates going to ask her how successful she and her relations were in academia before deciding whether she gets in or not? I mean when I read the death notice I would have known who she was anyway without all that palaver.

I totally agree.

Endacl MSc PGradDip HDip Bmus.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I've seen it used as code for suicide. If "donations to Pieta House in lieu of flowers" accompanies it, well...

Not really. It's usually, 'after a short/long illness...', ' unexpectedly', 'peacefully', etc.

Tragically or unexpectedly can, of course, refer to suicide but by no means exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

endacl wrote: »
    I totally agree.

Endacl MSc PGradDip HDip Bmus.

death the leveler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

We have many words which we use where death is concerned.
    Yes death is an eventuality... Doesn't make it any less shocking or unexpected when it happens. Especially if the person was healthy and just died no matter whether they are 9 or 90. It's a shock to their loved ones and saying "oh well sure we all die" is not going to change that.

death the leveler

Soon to be a spirit leveller.

In the highly unlikely event that I live beyond 80, I want the words "died eventually" on my death notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Myself and another lad at work used to play a game of "Obituaries" when we got the morning Independent. It was for a fiver. He got "suddenly" and "unexpectedly" and I got "peacefully" on it's own. The game was always very close.
    It was a very busy office we worked in obviously.

At the end of the day all deaths are due to lack of breath.

Advertisement