Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bitcoin Futures

• 10-12-2017 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

In twelve hours the Bitcoin Futures market will go "live" on CBOE.
    I don't know whether this will damp the bitcoin price or whether it will be an architecture that will inflate it. A sizeable number of people believe that the Wall St spivs and institutions will drive up the price beforehand and then dump it whilst simultaneously taking out Short futures contracts on CBOE. A double-win. Others believe that the bitcoin exchange rate is strong enough to withstand this. I'm not too sure.
    What I do expect, however, is that there will be wild volatility starting around midnight our time, and that this volatility will last for a few days at least. Maybe the best move would be to unlock our nano's and trezor's, and put our bitcoin on the exchange ready to pull the trigger if necessary?

Interesting times ahead, for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

i pulled 20% to fiat, it amounts to my starting amount, other than that i'll sit on my hands.they do have the funds to pump it then short it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I'm betting on a boost to altcoins as those invested in bitcoin will (hopefully) seek to diversify and reduce exposure to any possible negative impacts of Bitcoin index futures trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

KilOit wrote: »
    i pulled 20% to fiat, it amounts to my starting amount,
    I've trickled 50% of mine to fiat during the course of day. I might convert more nearer the 11:00pm deadline.
    I do think we're seeing the "pump" element being carried out over the past 5 hours -- up by around $2,000. If it is the precursor to a dump and futures Shorting, I just don't know. But I'm happy to sit on the sidelines during this momentous happening. If it does drop significantly I'll buy back in. On the other hand, if it continues to rise I'll live with that; I've made a serious good profit from bitcoin anyway. :)
    What will be, will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I fecked up a BTC trade on Thursday so I'm only getting near break even now. Might wait a few more hours so.

As to where the last 12 hours was a pump, I doubt it, it's in line with increases that have happened before.

Price is already volatile on GDAX. Planning to get out of BTC entirely after this trade (I'm not a HODLer).

As to where the last 12 hours was a pump, I doubt it, it's in line with increases that have happened before.
    Except that previous increases were all part of an upward trend.
    This one over the past six hours has followed a period of lower Lows and lower Highs. I.E., a reversal of a steady downward trend.
    I just dunno what, if anything, will happen over the next couple of days. The fear of the "Shorters" and what they might do to the btc price might be all unjustified FUD. We shall see. I'm staying up late tonight. :)

• Advertisement

I'm staying up late tonight. :)

Yep, me too. Could get a bargain.

Yep, me too. Could get a bargain.
    Yeah, only IF it does prove to be a manipulated Short after all, I don't know what price to buy back in at. (I'ld hate to buy back at, say, $11,000 and then watch the price dip all the way down to $8,000). :o
    Maybe best to wait for a day until the dust settles?

Oooooh, has it started ?
    Down $700 in the last ten minutes? :confused:

Yeah, only IF it does prove to be a manipulated Short after all, I don't know what price to buy back in at. (I'ld hate to buy back at, say, $11,000 and then watch the price dip all the way down to $8,000). :o
    Maybe best to wait for a day until the dust settles?

Like you said, it's hard to know. I'm itching to break even on my last trade so I'm tempted to spend the next few hours chart watching, but I do have a sell order set anyway to do that for me.

I suspect waiting a day might be no bad thing. It's only Gemini doing the shorting after all, not biggies like GDAX or Poloniex.

On another note, one thing that's starting to bother me is Bitcoin transaction speed. That is going to seriously hinder expansion in the future.

Edit: Yep, the volatility has started it seems. I suspect this is just people getting worried rather than actual investors.

Like you said, it's hard to know. I'm itching to break even on my last trade
    What went wrong on your last trade, mate?

• Advertisement

It's only Gemini doing the shorting after all, not biggies like GDAX or Poloniex.
    No, it's the Chicago Board Options Exchange that is providing the Bitcoin futures market. They -- the CBOE -- will be taking the bitcoin base price from the live Gemini exchange.

I don't know about you fella's, but Bitstamp is getting unworkable under the weight of trades at the moment. The volume is huge; people trying to get out?
    My last Sell order is not getting processed even though it is under the spot price.

What went wrong on your last trade, mate?

A stupid FOMO. LTCEUR looked like a bargain so I bought in. I got spooked when it moved ONE FECKING EURO down, dumped the lot and bought into BTCEUR at €14500. What a fecking stupid move.

I then watched LTC go to the moon. Arrgh!

Anyway, I went back to the info sources I learned my trading from (Quickfingers Luc, he gives the info for free) and learned a lot more. Turns out I'd been doing it wrong all along.

Next coins I trade will be:

LTCEUR
    NEOETH
    XRPEUR

Another day, another opportunity. Trying hard to trade like a pro.

A stupid FOMO. LTCEUR looked like a bargain so I bought in. I got spooked when it moved ONE FECKING EURO down, dumped the lot and bought into BTCEUR at €14500. What a fecking stupid move.

I then watched LTC go to the moon. Arrgh!
    Oh no, a double-whammy. :(
    The worst possible scenario. Consolation, tho', is that you learn from these kinds of incidents and come out the wiser.

I don't know about you fella's, but Bitstamp is getting unworkable under the weight of trades at the moment.
    Yep, officially crashed now. :mad:
    It's gonna be an eventful night across the world tonight starting in less than an hour. (At least I THINK it is 11:00 pm our time. Maybe 12:00, I don't know if the U.S has Daylight Saving Time?).

Yep, officially crashed now. :mad:
    It's gonna be an eventful night across the world tonight starting in less than an hour. (At least I THINK it is 11:00 pm our time. Maybe 12:00, I don't know if the U.S has Daylight Saving Time?).

Google says 1800 Chicago time is 0000 our time.

Now debating whether to get the fuck out of Dodge now, sell my BTC and run to the hills. Or wait.

Arrgh, emotion, it's a pain in the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Plenty of weak holders have been selling over the last few days and again over the last few hours.
    As for the futures market, I think its gonna be a none event for now as many will stand back and see how it operates. Bitcoin is an unknown beast to them, they have been told this, and know shorting it could Bankrupt them in minutes if a wall of money could be ready to start flooding in again. They need more Bitcoin than they have to control the market. I don't think the Whales and Miners will let them get control that easily

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No, it's the Chicago Board Options Exchange that is providing the Bitcoin futures market. They -- the CBOE -- will be taking the bitcoin base price from the live Gemini exchange.

Just to point out to everyone, as I only recently learnt this myself, futures market doesn't typically involve anyone buying or selling the underlying asset. Balances are typically settled in fiat.
    So is very hard to say what impact it will have on the price since there is no associated volume.

Now ETFs on the other hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

What would crash Bitcoin was if that fooker Ver and his goons were the ones buying up all the Bitcoin over the last few weeks in a bid to destroy Bitcoin so that the "Real" Bitcoin prevails

• Advertisement

Feck it, I'll leave the sell order where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As few a 1000 people hold the vast majority of bitcoin, and they probably mostly know a bunch of each other.

I'm not convinced wall street well play that game.

Holy **** the price just shot up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Unfortunately my Sepa transfer has only gone to Coinbase now so im waiting for acc verification so i cab withdraw. Would i be right in saying i can just sell my coins if i wanted to onto my on site my Euro wallet but cant withdraw anything until the sepa is sorted?
    Basically a way of holding my funds?

Sorry if that seems like a noob question but iv been just sitting on the coins and not actually used the sell/ withdraw function yet!!

Autochange wrote: »
    Unfortunately my Sepa transfer has only gone to Coinbase now so im waiting for acc verification so i cab withdraw. Would i be right in saying i can just sell my coins if i wanted to onto my on site my Euro wallet but cant withdraw anything until the sepa is sorted?
    Basically a way of holding my funds?

Sorry if that seems like a noob question but iv been just sitting on the coins and not actually used the sell/ withdraw function yet!!

That's right. It's fine, it just takes time.

Well, it's has just started on CBOE.
    Bloomberg are covering it live on their TV channel.

LOL, the official live-prices website has just crashed. :D

Well, it's has just started on CBOE.
    Bloomberg are covering it live on their TV channel.

LOL, the official live-prices website has just crashed. :D

Well what do you know, Google was wrong. Anyway, it's moving the price up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

That's right. It's fine, it just takes time.

Great.
    Thank you for replying

I get the impression that a lot of smart people bought at the recent crack to €11200 and now they're getting out with a nice profit, preventing the price from rising too fast.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. My sell order will either be filled or not.

• Advertisement

ROFL, the first liquidation on CBOE.
    Someone had a Short for the value of $2.3Million liquidated. He lost 200K. :pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/BitmexRekt/status/939993657121431554

Advertisement