Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Rain turned to sleet and now snow. Ground is soaking wet though so cant see it sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pouring in Tralee, 16mm so far for event and a balmy 8.6C

18mm from event here, but a cooler 5.4c here in West Clare (had reached 5.8c earlier but is now falling for some reason).

Would make some amount of snow if the temp was a nice 5c cooler!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was in Dublin for most of the day and it was very cold and dry when I left, back home now in Dunshaughlin and it's raining and temperatures are rising, now 4C and feeling much milder than earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Autochange wrote: »
    Rain turned to sleet and now snow. Ground is soaking wet though so cant see it sticking

Wouldnt rule it out, ever. Seen enough snow events that started out wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lashing rain here in Cork for hours, if it stays as snow further north you lot will be in for epic scenes in the morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

MJohnston wrote: »
    Turn your flash off and try again! Camera flashes are generally useless, especially on phones. Your phone will probably have decent low-light capabilities that will work much better than a flash unless it's pitch black. And the flash will just brighten up closer elements, meaning the dynamic range of the phone won't be able to pick up the low-light further away.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭tikkamark

To prove how knife edge this event is I’m just 7kms from Kinnegad where heavy snow was reported earlier and it’s not even sleet here-raining heavy since 1.20 and I’d be shocked if it turned from rain to powder snow anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

When does snow ever stick first off in this country anyway,if it is heavy enough it will stick eventually even if the ground is wet. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Lashing rain in Galway nothing of note here so far

Alternating between sleet/wet snow over on the west side of the city Storm10

Temp 1.3, DP 0.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    18mm from event here, but a cooler 5.4c here in West Clare (had reached 5.8c earlier but is now falling for some reason).

Would make some amount of snow if the temp was a nice 5c cooler!

It's perhaps falling due to the constant rain. Here's what I said before of how this can be a thing, ignore the snow parts:
    Last but not least on what can influence the recording of snow, if it rains continuously at a fairly high temperature like let's say 4-7c, it can cause the air temperature to drop and as a result, turn the rain to snow. This is due to heat being absorbed by the evaporation of water vapour from the raindrops as they fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Can everyone state their locations when reporting snow please!!! Not many have locations on their profile. I am using the desktop site btw.

Still raining here in South Laois at 4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Raining steadily here in Thurles 4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm off to bed here everyone. Pouring rain in Kilcock, not even a sign of sleet right now

Billcarson wrote: »
    When does snow ever stick first off in this country anyway,if it is heavy enough it will stick eventually even if the ground is wet.

My point was the ground is soaked. Puddles everywhere, been raining all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

wind has picked up slightly now and its back to rain :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No rain or snow here outside mullingar all night. Frost has melted too

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Moderate rain in Trim. Snowing not far from here to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm off to bed here everyone. Pouring rain in Kilcock, not even a sign of sleet right now

Yeah, I think I'll be off too. Starting to rain at Grange at last now.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Fair play to met eireann they were spot on with there forecast place is complete white out ere and only seems to b getting heavier. Best snow I've seen n years

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

My point was the ground is soaked. Puddles everywhere, been raining all evening.

Is it still snowing in your part of North Offaly, and where are you btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Just back from Portlaoise plenty of surface water around and spot flooding in places.
    One heavy snow shower then back to sleet and now pissing rain again.
    Temp back to 0 again can’t see any snow hanging around with the roads being so wet..
    A miserable night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Roscommon is that u under all that snow ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well at least it's snowing where you are now,give it time. See what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Snowing here in Carrick on Shannon. Fairly light stuff. Sticking to cars, not the road though. Would need to be a bit heavier for that. Leitrim was quite borderline on the last charts. Most showing very little snow here.

Get the oul lad out of the pub and get to bed and see what its like in the morning I suppose.

Is it still snowing in your part of North Offaly, and where are you btw?

Its more sleety at the minute. Outside rhode. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann's shortrange HIRLAM model has updated, and it's a massive upgrade for me here in West Clare.

No strong westerly winds appear to be arriving now, with the LP staying out at sea, keeping me in a westerly wind all evening, and dragging cold air from the east from very early morning onwards. Cold enough to snow? Maybe not, however alot closer than I was before.

I'd imagine anyone in a similar area would be also upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

harr wrote: »
    Just back from Portlaoise plenty of surface water around and spot flooding in places.
    One heavy snow shower then back to sleet and now pissing rain again.
    Temp back to 0 again can’t see any snow hanging around with the roads being so wet..
    A miserable night.

What part are you in?? Where was it snowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

Update from Knock region of Co Mayo. Started snowing at 12.30am and still going, wet snow to begin with but now has turned to the proper flakes. My driveway has 1.5cm snow depth at this stage, sky very orange and an easterly breeze keeping it all very cold. Must away to bed now otherwise I won't be able to enjoy it tomorrow, hope everyone gets to experience something from this event, keep optimistic because as we all know, the weather can change very quickly and unexpectedly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »
    was in Dublin for most of the day and it was very cold and dry when I left, back home now in Dunshaughlin and it's raining and temperatures are rising, now 4C and feeling much milder than earlier today.

Was 1C there around 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

tikkamark wrote: »
    To prove how knife edge this event is I’m just 7kms from Kinnegad where heavy snow was reported earlier and it’s not even sleet here-raining heavy since 1.20 and I’d be shocked if it turned from rain to powder snow anytime soon!

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar and click on weather type on.

From that link the line east/west between rain/snow is from Delvin down to Kinnegad and down to Edenderry.

Hope the line extends East or at least we stay just the right side of it.

Had a look at the the snow that has fallen and it is extremely wet. A film of water on the snow if that makes sense.

Advertisement