Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rimor motorhomes

• 26-02-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I am looking for reviews on rimor motorhomes, I've owned a dethleffs and a knaus and the very common opinion is the German makes are the most reliable, iv been looking for something with a rear lounge and looked at a burstner, found it very cramped and claustrophobic,but I looked at a 1997 rimor Europeo, and found It roomy and spacious, but I was hoping to find out more the quality of a rimor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

On a Transit ? Not bad, but far from the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

Hi aidan_m_m. I was hoping that you would give an answer. What kind of problems could I expect.

Yes, on a transit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It's an 18 year old vehicle. Regardless of the quality it will only be as good as the care it received over its life up to now.

*Kol* wrote: »
    It's an 18 year old vehicle. Regardless of the quality it will only be as good as the care it received over its life up to now.

Thanks for that, at 18 years old it will be the newest vehicle iv had, but if they are of a poor build quality and week at the seems all the care in the world won't stop it from leaking in as I don't have the facility to park it in doors, so I am trying to find out what problems they are prone to, to help me decide whether to buy it or not as I do prefer the interior layout over the burstner or the hymer,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Transit of that era is a bit of a tractor. Rust issues, wiring and damp issues.

Transit of that era is a bit of a tractor. Rust issues, wiring and damp issues.

The damp is the one that bothers me, the rest I can take care of. Are they highly prone to it. It is bone dry right now, previous owner had indoor parking, and it's very well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Pjwal wrote: »
    Thanks for that, at 18 years old it will be the newest vehicle iv had, but if they are of a poor build quality and week at the seems all the care in the world won't stop it from leaking in as I don't have the facility to park it in doors, so I am trying to find out what problems they are prone to, to help me decide whether to buy it or not as I do prefer the interior layout over the burstner or the hymer,

I am in the same boat (MH) as you more or less. I think its important to keep a good eye out for potential problems and fix them straight away. Unfortunately the problem is that they get left outside with nobody looking at them for months and by the time a leak etc is found it can be a larger problem than if it was spotted earlier. If its fairly tidy and damp free now you should be able to maintain it that way.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I am in the same boat (MH) as you more or less. I think its important to keep a good eye out for potential problems and fix them straight away. Unfortunately the problem is that they get left outside with nobody looking at them for months and by the time a leak etc is found it can be a larger problem than if it was spotted earlier. If its fairly tidy and damp free now you should be able to maintain it that way.
    Ya, I am very keen on it, and a bit of maintenance is all in a days work for me, but if they are prone to been written off from the damp then id think twice because this will have to last a very long time. When I am leaving mine idle for a long time I park it with the front well elevated so that the water will run off the roof instead of lodging on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Pjwal ,
    We have used various Rimors as rentals over the last 6 years . At the moment we have 2 x 2013 Rimors on our books .
    Admittedly they wouldn't be as old as the one that you are thinking of buying but we have never had any problems with them .
    They may not be as robust as Dethleffs but they are at least as hard wearing as some Swifts that we have used and some of the more modern Hymers.
    If you are certain that it is damp free at the moment then just be extra vigilant and check all seams for wear and tear on a regular basis .
    It might be no harm to remove and reseal all the roof lights etc .
    If minded , that van should last you a long time . Enjoy .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Advertisement

I know that this chat was near 3 years ago, but just to update you, I bought that transit rimor, a 1997, and I could not be happier with it, a pleasure to drive, plenty of power and comfort, and the rimor body has been trouble free, no signs of damp and problems with anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I'm actually looking at one at the minute. 2000 year. 160000km, anything I should be looking out for.

Advertisement