Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

PetKing wrote: »
    Is it as simple as flicking a switch to enable 6v6 though in a game that never had it?

The only reason they would have forced an across-the board a downgrade of an already low team limit for all modes would be technical issues. I guarantee you it was not a gameplay decision, so yup it's not something they can change easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The only reason they would have forced an across-the board a downgrade of an already low team limit for all modes would be technical issues. I guarantee you it was not a gameplay decision, so yup it's not something they can change easily.
    Don't agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't agree with this.

I'd agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,883 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

_CreeD_ wrote: »

I 100% disagree with you on this. I think it was absolutely a gameplay decision. They wanted to merge the differences between the 3s and 6s and create a more balanced, more predictable, readable PvP.

I think having a consistent fireteam size in PvP allows them to merge the playlist - you couldn't have had control and salvage in the same playlist in D1, you can have all game modes in whatever playlist you want. It also allows the same fireteam to switch between modes. Couldn't bring the same full (or 4/5 stack) fire team from Control into Salvage or Trials. Standardisation of the fire team size means the playlists can be consolidated, player population more easily managed and used to lower match making times, player movement within PvP modes isn't an issue.

I actually think saying it is down to a technical limitation is just a super salty b1tch.

In terms of wether it is a switch they could flick - I think at a base level it wouldn't be much beyond that but in the balance of the game modes would need to be looked at hugely. Scoring would need to be adjusted. Spawn points and objective points could possibly need to be moved. In terms of official game modes would Countdown work as it does with 33% more players, same with survival. They would also need to consider the impact such a change would have on match making and player population if not all modes cater to 6 man teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The 6 hour maintenance due later today has been postponed until tomorrow at 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

The only thing I'd have liked to see was anything to do with the vault/exotic kiosks etc etc. The extra incentive stuff not really grabbing me right now, since I was able to grind out all armour sets for my titan (IB, faction, planets etc etc).

Private matches, or changes to 6v6 don't bother me either. Will get over the fact a lot of these changes weren't there at the start once they do start to roll them out.

And really happy to see if you quit the crucible there should be some anti-bonus.

finished listening to the Bungie podcast. Was a good listen. No new information beyond the blog post yesterday but provided some context behind what they said and what they are and were thinking. Commitments to talking more often, regardless of who is giving the message, and whether that message is good or not. Of course we have heard similar before so it will be a case of actions speaking louder than words (1. which they said in the podcast itself and 2. the actions would actually be words in this respect).

Its worth a listen.

Bullet points (taken from Reddit - user chilidoggo).

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7ght8f/the_bungie_podcast_november_2017/

Luke Smith, Mark Nosebury, and Eric Osborne are the 3 talking. The live team guy is out of town but he will be on future podcasts
    How they balance the game for different players

They first talk about how they think of players - dividing into tourists, hobbyists, and the hardcore. Really interesting, and they talk about this for a long time. They acknowledge that non-tourists are hitting a wall and are running out of stuff to do and say they need to focus on the more hardcore (opposite of D1 for them).
    They want Destiny to be a "Place where friendships are made" and they explicitly recognize a lot of the disappointment comes from people who's friends or clans are moving on to other games. They're not happy with this at all.
    They acknowledge that communication is a weak point for them. They want to be very careful not to make promises. "The fact that communication is hard is not an excuse". Some things are just too far out to be sure,
    They give the blog post as an example, where everything that's happening soon is within the next few weeks. They want to talk about the things going on, but need to be responsible with how they do it.
    Game development is hard

Game development is complex and hard, but they recognize that's not an excuse they can hide behind. They are appreciative that we (the audience) are "more sophisticated" than most.
    Masterworks specifically, they weren't sure it would be ready in time for Dec 12. They were very conflicted on whether to include it in their "Live Team" update from a month ago.
    They reference the two recent streams and the difference in reception to them. That's why they cancelled the third is because they could tell that's not we needed to see.
    Updates from minor to major are very subjective with how long they take to implement. QA, testing, and development vary like crazy. The XP issue was one number they could change instantly, but host migration during Calus is much much harder. (Server side switch is easy, changing a gun number requires a patch to the xbox/PC/whatever)
    Whenever they touch code anything can happen. Can take 1 minute to fix and 3 weeks to test and deploy. They mention the silly walk emote. Severity: very high (it could be used in Trials to get free kills); Fixing: easy-medium (they're pretty sure they knew what was wrong right away), testing: medium (could take time to test everywhere), but implementation would be impossible since PC launch was ~1 week out, and they basically cannot patch during that time period. The only solution to them was to pull Trials for a few weeks until they could patch (no easy way to pull the emote).
    Of course they also mention the heavy ammo Crota bug, but they say they should have communicated with the community and acknowledged that it was near-impossible to fix.
    Luke Smith mentions that he intentionally hasn't tweeted for a few months, and was a little surprised at the positive response to his two tweets earlier this week. He wants to do better as developers to communicate, both with and separate from DeeJ/Cosmo.
    XP conversation

Says this is a sensitive subject and they acknowledge that they would be stoking the forge here, but they need to address it head on because...
    "In the absence of information, I think people will - and rightly so - move themselves to believe that we created or initiated this system to **** them, to be ****ty, greedy jerks."
    They say it made sense from a design perspective to make some activities more or less rewarding. Unfortunately, they didn't realize the API didn't reflect that.
    The bad part of turning it off so quickly was the imbalance it made. They're focused on rebalancing it now and will be extremely transparent on it. They were really impressed by the graphs and charts Reddit made, and debated talking to that Redditor about a job. It convinced them to make the call
    "A lot of players are going to say, you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar" and they want their actions to speak louder than their words.
    They don't want a situation where people are doing something for XP systems rather than their own entertainment. They don't want another Loot Cave. Looking at the data, loot cave was not even close to the optimal way to get legendaries, but it highlighted how unrewarding Destiny was at the time.
    They don't mind our negative feedback, they accept it's part of the job of being game makers. They compartmentalize it and extract useful info.
    In conclusion...

They might not always be the ones talking, but they recognize the importance of continuing the conversation. It'll be a process
    Luke Smith is very excited about the myriad of changes coming in December, and the future stuff coming down the line. Masterworks is a foundational system, and they want to build on these things and improve them.
    They talk a bit about the changes coming soon... nothing not mentioned in the blog post.
    "The cake is good, we just need to improve the icing"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill come back to it on the 12th to see how it is then, blog is promising , would be great if they deliver on the promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I actually think saying it is down to a technical limitation is just a super salty b1tch.

Shots fired lol

In terms of wether it is a switch they could flick - I think at a base level it wouldn't be much beyond that but in the balance of the game modes would need to be looked at hugely. Scoring would need to be adjusted. Spawn points and objective points could possibly need to be moved. In terms of official game modes would Countdown work as it does with 33% more players, same with survival. They would also need to consider the impact such a change would have on match making and player population if not all modes cater to 6 man teams.

That's why I was thinking make iron banana 6v6 clash/control you wouldn't have to mess with regular pvp systems such as spawns, scoring, capture points etc.

Would also make iron banana something a bit different that what's already there.

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    That's why I was thinking make iron banana 6v6 clash/control you wouldn't have to mess with regular pvp systems such as spawns, scoring, capture points etc.

Would also make iron banana something a bit different that what's already there.

I'd agree with this. Limited time events could be boosted by 6vs6 and scoring across general modes wouldn't need to be touched.

Destiny 2 now has Alexa integration using the command Alexa, ask Ghost.

An Alexa Ghost speaker is also being made available from Amazon.

Idiots couldn't even trigger the heroic. bloody noobs. Will need more help than a fancy alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Destiny 2 now has Alexa integration using the command Alexa, ask Ghost.

An Alexa Ghost speaker is also being made available from Amazon.

Here it is. I wonder is the Ghost actually an Alexa device?

Limited Edition Destiny 2 Ghost Speaker - Requires Alexa-Enabled Device https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077J92PYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zHdiAbBMB58MM

Somebody explain this **** to me I dont get it.

Do you buy the ghost yoke or do you buy the ghost yoke and someother thing to make the ghost yoke work I'm confused...

Also i don't need this thing at all and it seems a huge waste of money, nevertheless I'm ordering it tonight.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Here it is. I wonder is the Ghost actually an Alexa device?

Limited Edition Destiny 2 Ghost Speaker - Requires Alexa-Enabled Device https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077J92PYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zHdiAbBMB58MM

It works by connecting to an Alexa device like an Echo or the Amazon shopping app on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Want to calm down there a bit chief? It was an opinion, how was it salty or b1tchy?

I understand from your other posts you love the PvP in D2, fine. But there's a reason it has fallen flat on the PC, it is completely unremarkable compared to 10s if not 100s of other PvP experiences out there (many of them F2P). The games that do tend to stand out are more tactical and/or of larger scale, incorporating larger teams. 5 min or so matches (it's what they feel like), with a small team jumping from type to type is game-noise to many of us. You make some fair points on how a smaller team helps make that kind of rotation work but the thing is it comes across as working within some major limitations to me, I can't see the sense of not having options for larger teams per mode if desired otherwise. Or maybe they really didn't think the PvP side through on all platforms.
    And no, that's not salt either, I play on consoles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Is there a way to save gear load outs? (Like the way he asked for his crucible load out to be equipped)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Imagine the thread that would be up if EA pulled a stunt like this.

"Alexa any meaningful Destiny content in the works

Alexa?......."

Boom!!

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Is there a way to save gear load outs? (Like the way he asked for his crucible load out to be equipped)

Not sure if you can do it on bungie.net, but the api allows it as you can do it in DIM so it should be possible to call it via Alexa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Not sure if you can do it on bungie.net, but the api allows it as you can do it in DIM so it should be possible to call it via Alexa.

Rarely use the app tbh, it would be handy if they let ya save custom loads outs like COD does.

Curse of osiris preload begins A WHOLE TWO HOURS before it goes live on Tuesday. Preload at 3pm, live at 5pm.

Good one bungo.

On ps4 you're gonna need 88gb of space for it too. LOL.

44GB download. Might get it downloaded by Wednesday.

Curse of osiris preload begins A WHOLE TWO HOURS before it goes live on Tuesday. Preload at 3pm, live at 5pm.

Good one bungo.

44GB download. Might get it downloaded by Wednesday.

Ffs.

So Generic will have it by New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So Generic will have it by New Years.

Where is he lately. Haven't seen him post in ages.

The replies to this are the best thing about the update: link

The replies to this are the best thing about the update: link

May as well have made it tree fiddy(Loch Ness monster engram confirmed :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That's a pretty solid map

• Advertisement

This is honestly retarded.
    Though it's a psn issue more than a bungee issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement