Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noel Gallagher - Holy Mountain

Options
  • 10-10-2017 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭

Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet. New single out now, produced by David Holmes.

Getting a bit of flack for sounding like a cross between Ricky Martin's "She Bangs" and "Can Plane Pour Moi" by Plastic Bertrand. While the Ricky Martin comparison is purely down to a vocal line, there's a LOT borrowed from the Bertrand song.

It's not a bad single, bit different from his usual mid paced style. Still, on balance I think Liam's first single far out did this. The fact that Liam's album has been reviewed so well and is selling like hot cakes will make the next few months interesting. Has Noel been asked what he thinks of Liam's music yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Like you say only a lyric line is a ricky martin reference. I'm not an Oasis fan. Not a particular fan of the brothers. If I hadda I'd be a Noel fan think Liam is a dick. But... I love this song. I heard it on the radio just recently and had no idea who it was till after.

Thanks for Bertrand was driving me mad. Kept thinking the Damned ! Jet Boy Jet Girl !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Liams still singing the same ol Oasis mid paced ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

good move getting David Holmes to produce this record - he did a great job on Primal Scream's "More Light".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Liams album has slayed this bang average record by noel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I haven't listened to Noels new album but felt there was a good healthy dose of filler on Liams album, couple of crackers on it but unremarkable other then that

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm having a listen on Spotify now. Apart from the first single I didn;t like it sounds good on first listen, different but better for it. Anyone else seen this video with the chick playing the fcuking scissors? :pac: I hope that was a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ricero wrote: »
    Liams album has slayed this bang average record by noel
    You put the names in the wrong place there.

I am just happy for this cycle:

Liam - Produced a decent enough album, better that I was expecting anyway, feeds my oasis-y needs
    Noel - Produced a very good album that is something a bit different from his last 2

No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There's about three good songs on Noel's album; for the most part it's just uninspiring riffs with some fancy production (and still not even that fancy, for all he was going on about it) and hardly any melodies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed listening to it, and it makes a change from his usual plodding along. But it doesn't represent his best work.

Liam's album on the other hand has about 8 great songs, and the rest being good songs. In fact, there isn't a "bad" song on his album.

Here's the thing though; Noel was giving out about Liam co-writing songs, but by the sounds of it David Holmes deserves a co-credit on all these songs (if he doesn't already have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I've enjoyed both brothers having albums out. They are still capable of putting out great songs after 25 years on the go. So credit where credit is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Irish times on Friday were particularly scathing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/noel-gallagher-s-high-flying-birds-who-built-the-moon-review-a-dried-up-oasis-of-dross-1.3299720?mode=amp#.Whgj1rJWyAk.facebook

"It’s the stale, musty sound of a glorified pub band going through the motions. Rock is dead; this is a pantomime."

Mr E wrote: »
    The Irish times on Friday were particularly scathing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/noel-gallagher-s-high-flying-birds-who-built-the-moon-review-a-dried-up-oasis-of-dross-1.3299720?mode=amp#.Whgj1rJWyAk.facebook

"It’s the stale, musty sound of a glorified pub band going through the motions. Rock is dead; this is a pantomime."

That's as scathing a review as it can get. :eek:
    - "Fort Knox, which appears tailor-made for the kind of advertisements they show at half-time on Sky Sports"

These were my exact thoughts as well when I listened to it the first, second and third time. Thought he surely made that for a few nice tv royalty cheques down the line.

I think the album deserves more than 1 star but many of arguments raised in that article are somewhat fair. Rock isn't necessarily dead though. There is still good music being made.

If 'rock is dead' it is primarily down to the fact that creative, outside the box pop music will struggle to find mass appeal nowadays. Music and music fans are so spread out because of the internet there will never really be another Bob Marley, The Beatles, Metallica, The Cure, or ACDC type 'movement'.
    Am I being fair here?

It isn't an amazing album but when I was reading that article I got a strong feeling that that particular journalist had an axe to grind and no matter how good the album was he was going to slate it. I think 3/5 is probably fair.

I think you are right and I wouldn't agree with him that rock is dead. The guy is probably some loser in his 40s. A lot of new rock music lacks innovation and is a bit stale, recent albums from Foo Fighters, Kasabaian and Muse come to mind but there is still quality to be found in smaller acts and some big bands too like Queens Of The Stone Age, Wolf Alice, Foals, Radiohead etc are all still releasing good music. The Arctic Monkeys are going to put out an album next year which will surely be good. People have been saying Rock is dead for decades but it will never die it just changes. For my money these I think there is much more interesting things happening in electronic music than in rock at the moment. But I think the days of mega acts like U2 and AC/DC selling out stadium tours for decade after decade are probably gone. I can't think of any band that has come up in the last 10 years that appear to be on that trajectory?

MadYaker wrote: »
    It isn't an amazing album but when I was reading that article I got a strong feeling that that particular journalist had an axe to grind and no matter how good the album was he was going to slate it. I think 3/5 is probably fair.

I think you are right and I wouldn't agree with him that rock is dead. The guy is probably some loser in his 40s. A lot of new rock music lacks innovation and is a bit stale, recent albums from Foo Fighters, Kasabaian and Muse come to mind but there is still quality to be found in smaller acts and some big bands too like Queens Of The Stone Age, Wolf Alice, Foals, Radiohead etc are all still releasing good music. The Arctic Monkeys are going to put out an album next year which will surely be good. People have been saying Rock is dead for decades but it will never die it just changes. For my money these I think there is much more interesting things happening in electronic music than in rock at the moment. But I think the days of mega acts like U2 and AC/DC selling out stadium tours for decade after decade are probably gone. I can't think of any band that has come up in the last 10 years that appear to be on that trajectory?

Saw an interview recently with the lead singer of Kasabian, and he was saying how is main musical influences have come from hip hop all throughout his career. So I think people are far more open to listening to a much broader spectrum of music than ever before. I agree that Kasabian's newest album was very playing it safe, although I like the main single off it. Queens new album is good, but again nothing earth shattering about it though.

Jools Holland seems to be the best way to get a feel of how good current music is, and his show consistently delivers on great songs and musicians.

People are less 'connected' with their music nowadays. 15 years ago I would have walked in town especially to buy an album (expensive albums that could cost £20:() and I would walk home reading the sleeve, artwork and lyrics wondering how the song would sound when I play it. Owning the actual physical copy of an album, that you bought with your money fosters a deeper connection to the music in my opinion. Its much more disposable now; but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall I think there is more good music now than before, but with less 'earth shatteringly unbelievable change the world' songs than past decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Don't think this is in the right forum but I might give them a listen anyway.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Don't think this is in the right forum but I might give them a listen anyway.

How is it not in the right forum? The Gallaghers/Oasis fit much more into indie pop than any other genre in fairness.

People are less 'connected' with their music nowadays. 15 years ago I would have walked in town especially to buy an album (expensive albums that could cost £20:() and I would walk home reading the sleeve, artwork and lyrics wondering how the song would sound when I play it. Owning the actual physical copy of an album, that you bought with your money fosters a deeper connection to the music in my opinion. Its much more disposable now; but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You can still do that. There's loads of places that sell vinyl nowadays, and while they can be pricey, you really do value it. I've been re-buying records for the last year and a bit now, and have about 100 vinyl records now (not many in the grand scheme of things, but as the pricing is restrictive it's the best I can do!)

As for the album, I've listened to it twice now and I think it's his worst album. The lyrics are awful, the tracks are mostly just aimless jams, which is fine if you are able to come up with a good jam, but he hasn't. Same chord progressions, and same lyrical stop-gaps. Throwing female vocals or alarm clocks over things doesn't make them "cosmic".

Whatever way it was made and whoever wrote it, Liam's album, as an album, is way better. Noel hasn't really made a great solo album has he? The first one was mostly Oasis outtakes, and the second one was I suppose a little more decent. I quite like the second one.

For a truly psychedelic version of a Noel song, check out the Amorphous Androgynous remix of "Falling Down" - it's incredible:

You can still do that. There's loads of places that sell vinyl nowadays, and while they can be pricey, you really do value it. I've been re-buying records for the last year and a bit now, and have about 100 vinyl records now (not many in the grand scheme of things, but as the pricing is restrictive it's the best I can do!)

As for the album, I've listened to it twice now and I think it's his worst album. The lyrics are awful, the tracks are mostly just aimless jams, which is fine if you are able to come up with a good jam, but he hasn't. Same chord progressions, and same lyrical stop-gaps. Throwing female vocals or alarm clocks over things doesn't make them "cosmic".

Whatever way it was made and whoever wrote it, Liam's album, as an album, is way better. Noel hasn't really made a great solo album has he? The first one was mostly Oasis outtakes, and the second one was I suppose a little more decent. I quite like the second one.

For a truly psychedelic version of a Noel song, check out the Amorphous Androgynous remix of "Falling Down" - it's incredible:

Wow! I'm of the complete opposite opinion. Liam's album was so formulaic. Didn't really enjoy it at all. I'm really liking Noel's effort. Holy Mountain is class. Really great tune. Love the ooh ooh oohs in the chorus. First half of the album is really enjoyable. Tapers off a bit for me with the interludes but finishes strongly with who built the moon and dead in the water. Great to see him trying new things.

My problem is that there's no melodies. He's singing around his chord changes, which is the fallback of the songwriter with no songs (I've a bit of experience in this area). Most of the tracks have single-note melodies, sang in a similar meter, and he's done that a lot in the past (Mucky Fingers being one example). Makes for very uninteresting listening.

The songs I like are:

It's a Beautiful World
    Careful What You Wish For
    Black & White Sunshine
    The Man Who Built The World

And that's it. The rest of them I wouldn't care about never hearing again.

Sure, Liam's album stuck to a particular formula, but at least it had some great melodies (Wall of Glass, Bold, For What It's Worth, Chinatown) and the production was interesting and top quality throughout. Noel's album sounds like you're listening to it with your fingers in your ears, and his voice is so processed that at times you can't even make out the lyrics (maybe this was on purpose).

My problem is that there's no melodies. He's singing around his chord changes, which is the fallback of the songwriter with no songs (I've a bit of experience in this area). Most of the tracks have single-note melodies, sang in a similar meter, and he's done that a lot in the past (Mucky Fingers being one example). Makes for very uninteresting listening.

The songs I like are:

It's a Beautiful World
    Careful What You Wish For
    Black & White Sunshine
    The Man Who Built The World

And that's it. The rest of them I wouldn't care about never hearing again.

Sure, Liam's album stuck to a particular formula, but at least it had some great melodies (Wall of Glass, Bold, For What It's Worth, Chinatown) and the production was interesting and top quality throughout. Noel's album sounds like you're listening to it with your fingers in your ears, and his voice is so processed that at times you can't even make out the lyrics (maybe this was on purpose).
    Again I'm surprised with your opinion regarding the lack of melody. You left out three of the mpst melodic songs on the album. Holy Mountain- that sample of the tin whistle solo is the very definition of an earworm. If love is the law has got that 60's melodic pop vibe and she taught me how to fly is full of melody.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Again I'm surprised with your opinion regarding the lack of melody. You left out three of the mpst melodic songs on the album. Holy Mountain- that sample of the tin whistle solo is the very definition of an earworm. If love is the law has got that 60's melodic pop vibe and she taught me how to fly is full of melody.

Wow, I really disagree with all that. Holy Mountain is a perfect example of the one note melodies I was talking about. Even the chorus is the same. The whistle, so what, it's a sample anyway, not a vocal melody.

Again, same with She Taught me How To Fly. You can imagine the chord progression / main riff was what they put together in the studio, and he sort of went "well I'd better sing something over it". He uses about two notes. He hasn't written a song here. Granted, the "put your money where your mouth is" (recycling his own songs this time!) is a bit stronger but overall the song is boring.

Wow, I really disagree with all that. Holy Mountain is a perfect example of the one note melodies I was talking about. Even the chorus is the same. The whistle, so what, it's a sample anyway, not a vocal melody.

Again, same with She Taught me How To Fly. You can imagine the chord progression / main riff was what they put together in the studio, and he sort of went "well I'd better sing something over it". He uses about two notes. He hasn't written a song here. Granted, the "put your money where your mouth is" (recycling his own songs this time!) is a bit stronger but overall the song is boring.
    And therein lies the beauty of music! One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm of the complete opposite opinion. Those three songs I mentioned have been stuck in my brain for a couple of weeks now. Really loving them. Noel album, a good solid 7/10. Liam's, a 4 or 5.

I think Liam's album is a bit better but not much. I don't think id pay money to see Liam though. 9/10 times his voice sounds totally shot. Noel on the other hand has gotten better every time I've seen him.

It's true that Liam's voice is hit and miss, saying that he's a lot better now than he was during the last two or three Oasis tours, where he was just shouting basically.

However, in a live setting where you don't get to hear every nuance (and the crowd are singing along), he's great. I was at the Olympia gig in June and it was a really good gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Whatever about Liam's album , I don't like his band. They murdered a few of his Oasis covers sound wise. Don't like she guitar on wall of glass... I like noels new one , I'll get it soon...

Advertisement