Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute drivel paid for by your TV Licence

Options
  • 28-11-2017 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

There's been a lot of talk about RTE and the TV licence fee the last few days. Apparently we should pay a TV licence fee because RTE produce quality content in the national interest. Then today I come across an article courtesy of RTE.... I can't post a link because I'm new but just google "Digital Dad 12 Things Women Do That Men Dislike"

Here are some of the gems in the article:

The words make-up and chisel should never appear in the same sentence so ladies remember this when you are applying your new face.

Whether it’s clothes strewn across the floor, coffee cups on the bathroom sink or wet towels on the now wet carpet, messy women you are the worst.

You wouldn't get this on bbc.co.uk. Obviously if the genders were reversed I would say the same thing. My point is why are we paying for a service that produces such narrow minded content in the "national interest".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Loadza threads

SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well, what do you expect from a broadcaster who produces maybe two decent music programmes Other Voices and that Pat Short one and one yearly music extravaganza from the Electric Picnic to cater for the young ones and middle agers like meself for the whole bloody year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Never paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Lottie Ryan
    #howthe****didigetthisjob
    #ohyeah
    #mydadworkedforrte

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Never paid for it

you will pay soon. like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, Sweden is replacing the licence with a new tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, Sweden is replacing the licence with a new tax.

About time, to many spongers in this country. The anti-water brigade will finally have to stump up too. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    About time, to many spongers in this country. The anti-water brigade will finally have to stump up too. :pac:

Yeah, RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Whatever new plans come to fruition, they will still be done the Irish Way, So there will be a way somehow to avoid paying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

more money for rte better progammes u wish all the channels i watch come from the uk who needs rte wen u have a satellite dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Whatever new plans come to fruition, they will still be done the Irish Way, So there will be a way somehow to avoid paying it.

I sincerely would like to think so, but I fear it will be hard to avoid.
    This is different to water charges, RTE is not a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Can't see the need for Rte, using the guise if a national broadcaster dosn't cut it any more, other than as a newsroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I mean the fact my TV licence pays for Fair ****ing City makes me sick to my stomach. Or that it paid for that ****ing **** Daniel O'Donnell to go prancing round B&B's for however long those series were over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

On this small, little island of ours we don't pass the threshold population making it feasible to produce an entire television service locally. Economies of Scale dictate that this will be much better provided for at an international level. What we would need from a local broadcaster would just be local i.e Irish news, current affairs and sport. A small cheap provision of the likes of Primetime, League of Ireland and the Rose of Tralee. In terms of mainstream television package then let consumers here pay for sky, netflix etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,149 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I mean the fact my TV licence pays for Fair ****ing City makes me sick to my stomach. Or that it paid for that ****ing **** Daniel O'Donnell to go prancing round B&B's for however long those series were over.

Unfortunately they can't make programmes just for you.

There's other people in the country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately they can't make programmes just for you.

There's other people in the country too.

Those programmes aren't made for anyone. They're nonsense made to keep those people from the dole queue, or from them being in jobs where they could do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

RTE should be prohibited from showing British TV that is broadcast free from the Astra satellites.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,149 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE should be prohibited from showing British TV that is broadcast free from the Astra satellites.

The stupid thing is, they pay for these programmes when there is no need, since Irish residents can usually pick them up from Freesat channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Rologyro wrote: »
    There's been a lot of talk about RTE and the TV licence fee the last few days. Apparently we should pay a TV licence fee because RTE produce quality content in the national interest. Then today I come across an article courtesy of RTE.... I can't post a link because I'm new but just google "Digital Dad 12 Things Women Do That Men Dislike"

Here are some of the gems in the article:

The words make-up and chisel should never appear in the same sentence so ladies remember this when you are applying your new face.

Whether it’s clothes strewn across the floor, coffee cups on the bathroom sink or wet towels on the now wet carpet, messy women you are the worst.

You wouldn't get this on bbc.co.uk. Obviously if the genders were reversed I would say the same thing. My point is why are we paying for a service that produces such narrow minded content in the "national interest".

The tv licence would be worth it if
    No one @rte was paid more than €100,000 ( & you would really have to be worth it)
    Programs were made in Ireland rather than buying off the UK. We have the talent here to do more series like Love/Hate why not invest money into the industry to employ more people?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Help!!!! wrote: »
    The tv licence would be worth it if
    No one @rte was paid more than €100,000 ( & you would really have to be worth it)

the market seems to dictate that some should earn more it seems. who would have thought newstalk would pay pat kenny as much as he gets? i certainly didn't.
    Help!!!! wrote: »
    Programs were made in Ireland rather than buying off the UK. We have the talent here to do more series like Love/Hate why not invest money into the industry to employ more people?

i would 100% agree with this. home grown programing and investing in talent is absolutely the way for RTE to go. i can understand the logic of buying in programing but it's not really necessary or viable anymore.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

NIMAN wrote: »
    The stupid thing is, they pay for these programmes when there is no need, since Irish residents can usually pick them up from Freesat channels.

Irish people watch Irish TV, that's why they get them. Money on ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

years ago it was only rte now stick up a dish freesat receiver and have over 100+ channels plus more added to all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    On this small, little island of ours we don't pass the threshold population making it feasible to produce an entire television service locally. Economies of Scale dictate that this will be much better provided for at an international level. What we would need from a local broadcaster would just be local i.e Irish news, current affairs and sport. A small cheap provision of the likes of Primetime, League of Ireland and the Rose of Tralee. In terms of mainstream television package then let consumers here pay for sky, netflix etc.

That's not true at all. You don't need a huge country to create a TV show. This "country isn't big enough" is just a defeatist excuse to take the lazy way out with so many things.

The difference between Ireland and any other random country with less than a few million people is that as soon as you try to get anything done here a bunch of well-pampered D4 lads on several 100k a year show up first impeding your progress until you give them a massive wad of cash.

It's just impossible to get anything done here without paying huge money to "the system" for very little in return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Don't forget the Bord Gáis Energy Irish Book Awards 2017 is on RTE tonight at prime time viewing! Ratings will through the roof for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

TV license charge increases are not about improving the quality of programs, or providing a better broadcasting service for the country.. the increase in charges could be more to do with the spiraling cost of property in Dublin, and the RTE exec's children being able to afford to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

If RTE think their service is such good quality then they should make it a subscription only service; it will never happen of course but it would show them exactly what the public think of the derivative ****e they keep trying to charge us for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

a bunch of well-pampered D4 lads on several 100k a year show up first impeding your progress until you give them a massive wad of cash.

Are these the heavies from Irishtown you are on about, the ones you see hanging outside the chipper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ray Darcy on 10 grand a week.

Theres 3125 licence fees per year saved by sacking him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ray Darcy on 10 grand a week.

Theres 3125 licence fees per year saved by sacking him

And he lives on porridge,the poor fella needs a pay rise.

Advertisement