Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla - rusted fill tube :(

Options
  • 26-11-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    I posted here the other day with a bad wiper linkage, My car must be scanning boards.ie because it just pissed itself...incase it's reading this (i'm not going to scrap you!)

Anyway, it's just a baby with 250K (Kilo) on it (Jap Import)....I filled it up at the petrol station the other day, and when I came back there, was a good size puddle beside my back wheel!! looking other the arch, I saw this!
    IMAG2539.jpg?raw=1

SO I got home and took off that "Mudgaurd", It was absolutely caked with mud inside! and the WHOLE Fill tube was caked with Mud too, no wonder it was so rusted out. YOU can see from the Photo above that the Leak is high on the tube...Do I need to worry?

Brackets below are about to fall off, when I taped the tube with a screwdriver it shed many metal skins.

IMAG2550.jpg?raw=1

A closer shot!

IMAG2552.jpg?raw=1

another one

IMAG2553.jpg?raw=1

Questions:
    Do I really need to put in a new Fill tube given that the leak is so high up?
    I never knew you were supposed to clean out this area behind the mudgaurd, If I had known, this tube would not have rotted away!

Is there any else I should be looking at given the car is 17 years old?
    I thought you just had to change the oil/filters, and it would last forever :D

Thanks for your advice

Car in question

1737a533d49253f181815948b737e4e1b7351faa.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Get the filler pipe changed. A second hand one should be easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

CAn you recommend a good breaker yard in the Dublin (Preferably North) area?

Anything else I need to watch out for? Seems like everything is on the point of wearing out lately

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think I read somewhere before that the UK built Corollas have a plastic tube, not a metal one which makes for a better replacement. I think i read it in here somewhere.

I'm a bit pissed, because simple maintenance would have PREVENTED this, If I had just taken off the plastic gaurd and removed the tonne of **** caked on behind it (say every 5 years), this pipe would not be rotted out....

I'm gonna have a look for a Corolla forum, where some good soul has done up a practical maintenane checklist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

magnethead wrote: »
    CAn you recommend a good breaker yard in the Dublin (Preferably North) area?

Anything else I need to watch out for? Seems like everything is on the point of wearing out lately

Thanks

Summerhill Spares in Coolock. They will fit parts too.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Put that axel stand under something flat next time you use it(not been a smart arse)... and push the pin all the way through.Be safe!! Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

New one not too deer from Toyota as far as I know. I cleaned up & put chemical metal on the pipe on our own corolla. A good 2nd hand one would be hard got I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Some have plastic fillers, don't get them mixed up!

Does anybody know how you disconnected this fuel pipe from the car body?
    There's no screws at the cap like the old corolla

Thanks in advance,

1IMAG2559.jpg?raw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Follow the filler down, it's clamped in position under the car

• Advertisement

Is it these clamps? looks like there are 2, like massive cir-clips or something
    There are big clamps further down on the filling tube, I was just curious about the area at the petrol cap. Maybe it just pulls out there. I'll find out soon enough.

clamp.jpg?raw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Usually 2 brackets connecting it to the body, one up in the arch and one closer to the bottom. Then it just comes out from underneath. Make sure and cover the flexi hoses going into the tank in case any flaky bits get in there. Is not unknown at that age. Did the filler in my landcruiser about 18months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

There's 2 bolts holding the pipe to the body in your first picture.

There may be another up the way where the bigger pipe goes into the flexible joiner.

It just pulls out of the top rubber then.

I don't know what it was, maybe too much Xmas cheer, but I decided to pull the trigger and get a new filltube. Nothing to do with large puddles developing around my ankles at the local Petrol station!!

Big Thanks to martyc5674, ;p I took it back out, and the pin was still in the same position, you saved my life because I was under the car a good bit this time.

IMAG0023.jpg?raw=1

The Job turned out not to be too bad, a lot of rusted in place screw, but at least the big main one's that held what was left of the clamps in place, came out.

IMAG0024.jpg?raw=1

No damage at all

IMAG0025.jpg?raw=1

IMAG0026.jpg?raw=1

OLD CLAMP CAME OFF REAL EASY, ALMOST DIDN'T HAVE TO USE A SOCKET WRENCH.

IMAG0027.jpg?raw=1

New Pipe in place
    IMAG0028.jpg?raw=1

The Petrol tank flapper didn't work too well, so when I took the pipe off,there was a constant leak of petrol which got me really high..

Anyway jobs done now and I even bought a new rubber gasket for my petrol cap. But now I guess the system is fairly airtight, because there's a big hiss when I open the Cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

How much was the new filler pipe? Is it a main dealer part?

I think my friend has the same issue on his Corolla. Slight smell of petrol from it.

THere can be various reasons for a smell of petrol but it's definately worth looking at this pipe, even if it's just to give it a good clean, hopefully you'll catch it before it blows apart like mine.
    THe pipe cost about 80 Euro......€135 all in with the Brackets and screws and VAT....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Brilliant thread OP fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That part went on my dad's Toyota Picnic. He paid about the same as you from Toyota for the part. Forget about a second hand one. They'll all be rusty.

Advertisement