Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car query

Options
  • 26-11-2017 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm looking to own a mk1 Ford fiesta for a first time car but was wondering if that was even aloud, I am 28years of age and just got my full license and I thought to myself that the 70s was calling me, cars then where simpler to work on but an understanding for a first time driver about some of these cars and regulations are scarse to me
    I'm pretty much lost
    Anyone share their own story of there first car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

First and foremost, make sure you can get insured on one. Most policies will require you to have a "modern" daily driver. Otherwise, be prepared to either be refused or pay stupidly high insurance (first time driver + classic = $$$)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Info_hoarder

antodeco wrote: »
    First and foremost, make sure you can get insured on one. Most policies will require you to have a "modern" daily driver. Otherwise, be prepared to either be refused or pay stupidly high insurance (first time driver + classic = $$$)

If you don't mind my asking but
    what was your first car?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I'm looking to own a mk1 Ford fiesta for a first time car... I am 28years of age and just got my full license...

Anyone share their own story of there first car?

Technically there isn't anything stopping you from getting an old car as your first car, except reality.

Regular insurance on a 70s or early 80s car is almost impossible to get, and if you can it'll be very expensive

Classic Insurance for these cars is readily available but nearly all Classic car policys require you to have a 'modern' car insured as your daily driver, be over 25 years old and maybe have a year or two of 'No Claims' history. These restrictions are what keeps the costs down.

Nothing will stop you buying and owning the Mk1 Fiesta, but you'll probably have to get a 'modern' car to drive before you can get the Fiesta on the road

My First car (of my own) was a Renault 5, followed by a Renault 11, the an Opel Kadett, another 5, then a Toyota Starlet, Mitsubishi Pajero was next, Fiat Ritmo in there somewhere too... and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Info_hoarder

Testacalda wrote: »
    Technically there isn't anything stopping you from getting an old car as your first car, except reality.

Regular insurance on a 70s or early 80s car is almost impossible to get, and if you can it'll be very expensive

Classic Insurance for these cars is readily available but nearly all Classic car policys require you to have a 'modern' car insured as your daily driver, be over 25 years old and maybe have a year or two of 'No Claims' history. These restrictions are what keeps the costs down.

Nothing will stop you buying and owning the Mk1 Fiesta, but you'll probably have to get a 'modern' car to drive before you can get the Fiesta on the road

My First car (of my own) was a Renault 5, followed by a Renault 11, the an Opel Kadett, another 5, then a Toyota Starlet, Mitsubishi Pajero was next, Fiat Ritmo in there somewhere too... and so on!

Thanks for the answer, just what I needed to know, I don't know why I have this interest for 70s cars, I think it was the first time I looked at the 1970s VW derby. That got me hooked on most box shaped cars. I figure if a car was built for the 70s and then you sit behind the wheel, it will give you that era and perspective. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I figure if a car was built for the 70s and then you sit behind the wheel, it will give you that era and perspective.

Nostalgia :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement