Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where should i advertise Belfast City Centre accommodation for business people

• 23-11-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a house available near belfast city centre. It would suit people visiting from Dublin etc for business. Its empty during the week, and i know the hotels are quite dear during the week. If i could only get an advert to business people arriving up on the train etc. Any ideas? I was actually considering a newspaper ad ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

listing on airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tony9009

Thanks minikin. Yea i have tried that. but airbnb is not that great for new property owners. Your listings are way down the list. Unless you are prepared to just accept bookings automatically, which can be a disaster cause you get students/clubbers/stags out on the lash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi there

Try networking at a local business association such as the Dublin Chamber. Perhaps advertise there as a member, rates etc.

Best of luck with it.

dbran

Great idea, thanks dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Tony,

Is there a separate listing section for business users:
    www.airbnb.ie/work

I don’t work for airbnb by the way! :)

• Advertisement

NOw that you mention it - i do remember seeing that - and i do remember why i wasn't interested, you have to accept bookings automatically, without seeing who is booking. But maybe the business customers are already established users, so that would be OK - i'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dbran wrote: »
    Hi there

Try networking at a local business association such as the Dublin Chamber. Perhaps advertise there as a member, rates etc.

Best of luck with it.

dbran

Have you really thought that through ?

Firstly, Belfast is a couple of hours from Dublin, so most travel up/back in the same day.

Secondly, when business people stay over, it will be paid for by the company/employer and in a hotel, not some randomer’s house. I certainly would not expect employees to kip in unknown / unauthorized / unregistered accommodation. (Nor would they put up with it, and I'd abhor anyone suggesting it!) Most DCC members would fit into that sector. What about tax receipts? There is a limit to cost control, but do I expect my staff to cook their own breakfasts?

Thirdly, how can the OP's property be managed? How to gain access? How can the OP ensure proper housekeeping? From what he has written he is there at the weekends, so has ‘stuff’ there, a TV, etc., which could/would easily 'walk' so how about security? Do I want to put my staff in a house where anyone can stay? How about insurance? Does the OP's insurer allow use of the property as commercial accommodation?

Very easy to wish luck, but 'Shur it'll be grand' is not a solution.

The OP needs to do a deal with a stay-at-home wife of a neighbor to manage the property as an AirBnB for him. IMO he is wasting his time with the likes of DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@pedroeibar1, just FYI on your points, most businesses are now permitting AirBnb and some actually encourage it. It's part of some corporate booking systems like Concur. Its cheaper in 9/10 cases than a hotel. I can name 5 to 10 startups, and a few Fortune 500s, that I've been involved in that all permit and encourage Airbnb travel on business, all paid for by the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ironclaw wrote: »
    @pedroeibar1, just FYI on your points, most businesses are now permitting AirBnb and some actually encourage it. It's part of some corporate booking systems like Concur. Its cheaper in 9/10 cases than a hotel. I can name 5 to 10 startups, and a few Fortune 500s, that I've been involved in that all permit and encourage Airbnb travel on business, all paid for by the business.

That does not change my views Ironclaw. Any Fortune 500 using Airbnb is misguided. I've spent most of my career with a MN, living out of a suitcase and have more airmiles than most here, so I know business travel.

I don’t want this to develop into a thread on AirBnB. As an operation they have had all sorts of issues with insurance, with partying, damage, etc, in properties where the ‘host’ is absent. For example, there is no personal liability insurance included as part of Airbnb’s ‘Host Guarantee’. So, if a guest sued the OP because s/he hurt themselves in OP’s property, the Airbnb guarantee would not cover the guest. Any lawyer acting for an injured employee/guest would immediately enjoin the employer as a third party in the legal action for damages. That risk would not arise if staying in a hotel.

Many city-based Airbnb owners have been focusing on business travelers because they are better quality, easier to deal with and a considerably better risk as customers. Hence the tie-up with Concur and others. Also they are less price sensitive, important in cities where Airbnb is under bed-night constraints.

Yes, I agree Airbnb is cheaper than a hotel, but cost is relative. For an extra £20 or so both my employee (and I!) can sleep easier at night. The employee can focus on work issues and not be constrained by meeting some punter (usually at a fixed time) for a key, or worrying about a night’s sleep with members of a hen / stag party carousing in the next door rooms and wondering what the WiFi code is to send an urgent office email. Who thinks that little of their staff?

Airbnb is fine for start-up ‘owners’ /self-employed if they recognize and accept the risks, not for employees. It’s fine for vacations, when you can (periodically) put up with glitches, bad/no internet, poor/bad bed/surroundings/fellow guests, but really, do you want that on a business trip? All for a price difference of £20 or so a night?

To me, the suggestion to use Airbnb for regular business travel is just a beancounter’s proposal and it should be knocked on the head sharpish.

Advertisement