Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas TV Thread 2017

Options
  • 20-09-2017 11:24am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Although nothing compared to what it once was, there still is something special about gathering around the TV at Christmas time to see what's on, highlighting our favorites on the RTÉ Guide.

But now with streaming and repeat viewings becoming more popular the Christmas TV Schedule isn't what it used to be.

This thread can be used to discuss all upcoming Christmas Specials, TV Episodes and Christmas Holidays TV Lineups.

Confirmed so far for Christmas 2017 as at 20/9/2017

BBC ONE
    Call the Midwife
    ​Doctor Who (CONFIRMED FOR CHRISTMAS DAY)
    EastEnders
    Even Better Than the Real Thing Christmas Special
    ​Father Brown Christmas Special
    Grandpa's Great Escape
    Len Goodman's Partners in Rhyme Christmas Special
    Michael McIntyre's Big Show
    Mrs Brown's Boys
    ​Ordeal by Innocence
    Songs of Praise Big Sing x 2 (CONFIRMED FOR CHRISTMAS EVE & NEW YEAR'S EVE)
    Sports Personality of the Year (CONFIRMED FOR SUNDAY 17TH DECEMBER)
    Still Open All Hours (Probable)
    Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special (CONFIRMED FOR CHRISTMAS DAY)
    The Highway Rat (Animation)
    Would I Lie to You? at Christmas

BBC TWO
    Charlie Brooker's 2017 Wipe
    Live at the Apollo Christmas Special
    Nigella : At My Table Christmas Special
    ​QI Christmas Special
    The League of Gentlemen
    Upstart Crow Christmas Special

BBC FOUR
    Eric, Ernie and Me (w/t)
    Half a Sixpence
    Royal Institute Christmas Lectures

CBBC
    Sam & Mark's Big Friday Wind-Up Christmas Special
    Top Class Christmas Special

ITV
    All Star Musicals
    Birds of a Feather Christmas Special
    Cannonball Christmas Special
    Coronation Street
    ​Emmerdale
    ​The Chase Celebrity Christmas Special
    ​Victoria

CHANNEL 4
    8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown Christmas Special
    Child Genius vs Celebrities Christmas Special
    Kirstie's Handmade Christmas
    ​​The Crystal Maze Christmas Special
    The Great British Bake Off Christmas Special x 2
    ​The Price is Right Christmas Special

CHANNEL 5
    Blind Date Christmas Special
    ​Harrogate at Christmas x 2 (Title to be confirmed)Confirmed for Christmas 2017 as at 8/9/2017

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm looking forward to Call the Midwife, as they always do great Christmas specials and I just love that show! :)

I am also looking forward to Would I Lie To You. Just the entire series 11 of it, to be honest! Think it starts next month. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Call the Midwife, as they always do great Christmas specials and I just love that show! :)

I am also looking forward to Would I Lie To You. Just the entire series 11 of it, to be honest! Think it starts next month. :D

I've never seen Call The Midwife, don't think it would be my type of show :o

I love Would I Lie To You, it's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi,

Does anyone where to find Christmas 24 (movie channel) on the Virgin platform. I did an internet search and it says it is on channel 419 but it is not on my telly.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

GBBO Christmas Special with former contestants will be on Ch4. Paul, Prue, Noel and Sandi will also be back.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...l-contestants/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ordeal from Innocence has been pulled from BBC1 schedules pending investigation of allegations against one of its lead actors Ed Westwick.

I was looking forward to an Agatha Christie \ murder mystery over the mince pies...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Dr Who", "QI" and "Upstart Crow" are the only things I can see myself watching from that line up. Other half will be going for "Still Open All Hours" and "Bake Off". Kids are with us this year so tv will be kept to a minimum anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Kinda disappointed that Highway Rat is the latest Julia Donaldson adaptation. There's better books IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Netflix are adding the Back to The Future Trilogy to its library on December 14th.

I adore those movies, proper Christmassy.

Rté have announced their highlights for Christmas.

There’s someone serious cracking movies.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1205/925257-fairytales-and-festive-fun-on-rte-this-christmas/

• Advertisement

Advertisement