Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Garland

Options
  • 21-11-2017 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All

Wondering if I can get a bit of help here.

I'm looking to hang a garland around our outside front door for Christmas. I'm really looking to try and avoid drilling any holes if possible. I have seen these hung up around and always wondered how people were doing it.

Has anyone any ideas on how I could do this? You can but a door garland hanger but you only seem to be able to buy these from the States and not on Amazon either.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can get the likes of 3M sticky back hooks and just stick it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Miguel_330

I had a look at getting those but the garland is a bit too heavy for them, it would be going all the way around the door and there not strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Metal coat hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

A couple of the hooks on the inside of the door, turned wrong way up (i.e., down) and use a ribbon to spread the load, then loop the ribbon up over the top of the door and through the garland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's one of the most common things I hear of people doing. They are these hooks you can put over the door but in my experience they don't fit over external doors.
    41iRoWR1uCL._SY355_.jpg
    Your other option is to get something like this but I have no idea how good they are.
    1.4563565750-85GiantSuctionCupwithhook-suctioncupsdirect.co.uk.jpg

We have a wooden door and a nail was hammered into it in the early 1990's and it's doesn't really stand out to be honest. They are loads of suctioney/sticky things on the market now tough.(Just make sure everything is dry) At the end of the day if it falls not much damage will be done.

You might be better posting over here!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1295

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Miguel_330 wrote: »
    I had a look at getting those but the garland is a bit too heavy for them, it would be going all the way around the door and there not strong enough.

You'd be surprised. I've hung all sorts of stuff from those. As long as they have a clean flat surface to adhere to they can take a lot of weight. Just use a few of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My parents always hang their garland from pins pushed into the top of the door. Obviously you'd need to find pins that will go as flush as possible so the door will close properly and also be strong enough to take the weight. The latter might be your biggest problem if your garland is particularly heavy, but you might find something suitable in the ironmongery section in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I place a strong drawing-pin into the TOP of the door itself - the one-inch-deep bit across the top - and hang a piece of fishing line or kite line from that: attach your garland to the line.
    It swings a bit as the wind blows or the door opens, but mostly stays pretty steady.
    Panel pins discreetly inserted in a joint-line of the door panels are useful too for anchoring the garland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

It's not easy on a modern door as you don't want to he drilling into expensive aluclad highly insulated door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement