Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tweets - the new campaign toolkit

• 17-11-2017 1:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Inner circles may have known about this for yonks, but news of the hyper tweeting of some FG backroom keyboard warrior burst this morning on our unsuspecting nation.

Have these lads nothing better to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'll need to link to whatever you are on about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

listermint wrote: »
    You'll need to link to whatever you are on about

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has strongly criticised as “unacceptable” abusive tweets posted by a senior member of Fine Gael and said a disciplinary process is under way.

My guess is this, I seen this story when it broke yesterday morning, and wondered why it was taking so long to make its way to the politics forums tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

For such a respected FG member the chap is clearly a nut job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not on this specific instance, but in general Tweets seem to be an effective medium to communicate directly to public without the interpretation of the Press caste. That said, Twitter with their recent decision to be strict on verified tick checking now seems to be acting as a de facto gatekeeper. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42010139

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has strongly criticised as “unacceptable” abusive tweets posted by a senior member of Fine Gael and said a disciplinary process is under way.

My guess is this, I seen this story when it broke yesterday morning, and wondered why it was taking so long to make its way to the politics forums tbh.

Thanks, RS.

I had been looking earlier in the day for some mention of this, so decided to open a thread anyhow..

Strange carryon.

I recall Barry Andrews posting against rivals while still in FF. Those were anonymous, but were rumbled.

This lad seems to stab openly in the chest rather than clandestine back-stabbing

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Not on this specific instance, but in general Tweets seem to be an effective medium to communicate directly to public without the interpretation of the Press caste. That said, Twitter with their recent decision to be strict on verified tick checking now seems to be acting as a de facto gatekeeper. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42010139

They can scarcely be modded now due to volume.

The increased size - 280 letters - may foster more reasoned tweets rather than slogans.

Back in the day "UP DEV" was the simple tweet of its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

nuac wrote: »
    Thanks, RS.

I had been looking earlier in the day for some mention of this, so decided to open a thread anyhow..

Strange carryon.

I recall Barry Andrews posting against rivals while still in FF. Those were anonymous, but were rumbled.

This lad seems to stab openly in the chest rather than clandestine back-stabbing

The instant publish of Twitter is simply the format. I don't think Twitter itself creates people of this kind of mind set. It's the cross over period between younger people being a little more savy, while the older grab a female colleague onto you lap while drunk in the Dail, call protesters ISIS brigade, need be penned in. That's what this story reads as. It seems Walsh, being younger is simply a bit of a old fashioned bully. The party persona of arrogance and self importance is certainly a factor. I'm suprised we don't see more from the Healy-Rae's. It will be amusing when Fianna Fail get back in and get cocky again.

I hear Walsh has now resigned.

Perhaps all this was a cunning plan by FG to distract attention from the SF Árd Fheis?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is great that he has been forced out, it is a welcome development in Irish politics.

I remember reading misogynist tweets about Mairia Cahill from SF officials and councillors and nothing being done about them.

There have been other examples from other parties as well. Well done to FG for getting rid of him.

Advertisement