Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Peanuts grow underground.
    Which is why they are also called groundnuts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I even doubt that Bryson wrote that as it wouldn’t make sense to Americans.
    It'd be interesting to see a citation for it alright. It does sound unlikely for the reason you state, and I can't find anything with a quick google. The wiki article makes no mention of it. Certainly the psychological impact of £4.99 against £5 is by far the most commonly given reason. Always amazed that's a thing, but apparently it's quite powerful.

Also, I like that the Monster Raving Looney Party proposed introducing a 99p coin in the UK. It was to be dubbed a cornet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wibbs wrote: »
    It is an interesting area mind you. I suppose because we are of this reality, it makes it incredibly and increasingly difficult to describe a reality that may be or is outside of this one. In the singularity of the cosmic egg* at which point going backwards does the understanding and mathematics and language of our reality break down, because a different set of reality was/is/will be in play?
    Our understanding certainly breaks down prior to what is called the electroweak epoch, due to a different reality as you say taking over. We have only dim hints and what that reality was like, but it seems to be pretty bizarre compared to what we know.
    Is understanding, at least our understanding truly "universal"? Are the conditions that "caused" the singularity understandable at all, or are we forever mired in describing the goldfish bowl of our reality in terms of bowls and goldfish and the concept of blowing the glass and sourcing the water forever outside of our reach? TBH I bloody love that stuff. :)
    or Primeval Atom. I go old stylee. :D IIRC it was Hoyle who coined the "Big Bang Theory" and may have been in a derisive sense?
    Hard to know. Yes, it may be intrinsically incapable of being communicated to an ape brain like ours. Others have suggested this.

I will just say that "singularity" is an unfortunate term that has enter the public consciousness on this stuff. It's just an artifact of the maths, not something which actually occurred. Saying the universe "came from a singularity" would be the equivalent in evolutionary theory of saying that man evolved from a "gap in the fossil record".

The Cosmic Egg was of finite, not infinitesimal size. Again it's evolutionary equivalent would be the first single celled organisms. Again life sprang from these organisms, but there are questions over how they arose, how long they existed for, etc

The Cosmic Egg might have been sitting there for 50 trillion years before it erupted. It itself may have been "birthed" from another universe. It might have literally been created out of nothing randomly. We really don't know.

More on the rest later...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fourier wrote: »
    Newtonian notions of mechanical power don't apply to spacetime, it's simply "beyond" lower level physics where things like power, etc apply. It doesn't require anything else to power its change. It simply shapes itself in accordance with the matter inside it, but the matter doesn't "power" its shaping.

That's a bit too supernatural for my liking.
    Change needs a driver and a power source of some kind (I reckon:confused:) otherwise it's just chaos. You can't have space just appearing at will otherwise you reach out to pick up your cup of tea and it could be on the far side of the room, or the galaxy!

Something has to cause it to happen - we may not know or be capable of knowing what that something is, but surely it has to be there?
    IE sooner or later some intelligent life somewhere may reach a stage where they get so far in understanding and technology of a sort we would see as magic, even "godlike" and can create other realities in the "lab", so giving birth to new realities, which in time will give birth to more and so forth.

I was reading an article the other day and it had a theory by a professor called Caleb Scharf. His theory was that we may not have been able to make contact with alien life simply because they have advanced to a level where we just are incapable of talking to them (try explain reality tv to an amoeba for example - they just won't get it, actually I don't either!:))
    He postulates that they may have advanced so far that they aren't (in my best Mr Spock voice) life as we know it.
    They may have evolved to the point where we can only experience them as the very laws of physics. They are there in the background pulling the strings and shaping the universe to the way it suits themselves, we are possibly just a side effect of their meddling, they may not (probably wouldn't in fact) regard us as an intelligence at all - you can split an atom, big deal we'll talk when you can build one from scratch, not just smash somebody elses!

It's a bit far out for my liking, but sure who knows - whatever is going on that has caused all this stuff to appear, by definition it has to be pretty far out!
    Oh oh, must be an Ayahuasca flashback I'm having. :eek::D

Got any left? I feel liked I could use some right now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I will just say that "singularity" is an unfortunate term that has enter the public consciousness on this stuff. It's just an artifact of the maths, not something which actually occurred. Saying the universe "came from a singularity" would be the equivalent in evolutionary theory of saying that man evolved from a "gap in the fossil record".

The Cosmic Egg was of finite, not infinitesimal size. Again it's evolutionary equivalent would be the first single celled organisms. Again life sprang from these organisms, but there are questions over how they arose, how long they existed for, etc

The Cosmic Egg might have been sitting there for 50 trillion years before it erupted. It itself may have been "birthed" from another universe. It might have literally been created out of nothing randomly. We really don't know.

More on the rest later...
    I don't think so because you have a gravitational singularity in the centre of a black whole, so its a point, the fact its a point means all maths and physics break down because we can't tell how anything( matter etc. ) behaves when it is a point.

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I don't think so because you have a gravitational singularity in the centre of a black whole, so its a point, the fact its a point means all maths and physics break down because we can't tell how anything( matter etc. ) behaves when it is a point.
    There isn't a singularity at the center of a black hole, but a quantum gravitational state/system which General Relativity incorrectly describes as a point like singulairty.

In addition, regardless of what is occurring in a black hole, it is a fact that the Big Bang model does not describe the universe as starting from a singularity, no more than evolution describes man as descending from a T-Rex, it's just not part of the theory.

One part of the theory, if extrapolated incorrectly independently of the other parts, produces a singularity, but again the theory itself does not assume this extrapolation.

Some of what I say may sound arseholish, this is simply because forums provide no tone. Your questions are deep and interesting ones, to which I am simply providing the direct answers. :)
    I do understand your confusion.
    That's a bit too supernatural for my liking.
    Let me emphasise one point. What I am saying here is observationally confirmed scientific fact. It is as far from supernatural as it is possible to get, i.e. directly confirmed mathematical models of natural behaviour. They describe something counter-intuitive, but reality does not have to conform to human intuition.
    Change needs a driver and a power source of some kind (I reckon:confused:) otherwise it's just chaos. You can't have space just appearing at will otherwise you reach out to pick up your cup of tea and it could be on the far side of the room, or the galaxy!

Something has to cause it to happen - we may not know or be capable of knowing what that something is, but surely it has to be there?
    You are confusing two issues here, causation and power.

I said that the expansion of spacetime requires no energy or power to occur. I did not say it was uncaused or that it occurs randomly for no reason. There are definite reasons/causes for the expansion of space, it's just that the mechanisms don't require energy or power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Some of what I say may sound arseholish, this is simply because forums provide no tone. Your questions are deep and interesting ones, to which I am simply providing the direct answers. :)
    I do understand your confusion.

I have to say that this is one of the more interesting topics on the thread. I think you are doing a good job of explaining a complex subject in layman’s terms. You’re no Brian Cox, but you’re not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I do understand your confusion..

I don't think you sound arseholish at all, quite the opposite in fact. Thank you for taking the time to try and answer my poorly asked questions!

Let me emphasise one point. What I am saying here is observationally confirmed scientific fact. It is as far from supernatural as it is possible to get, i.e. directly confirmed mathematical models of natural behaviour. They describe something counter-intuitive, but reality does not have to conform to human intuition..

How has it been observed?
    If something is moving away from you say - how could you tell the difference between it moving away through existing space, and new space appearing somewhere between you and the object "moving" would it not just look like the same thing? Or are those 2 motions somehow different?
    With the creation of enough new space, over a large distance say, would you not end up with objects appearing to move at faster than light speeds?

Actually is that a way you could tell it was new space and not common or garden motion?

You are confusing two issues here, causation and power.

I said that the expansion of spacetime requires no energy or power to occur. I did not say it was uncaused or that it occurs randomly for no reason. There are definite reasons/causes for the expansion of space, it's just that the mechanisms don't require energy or power.

I'm really struggling to comprehend this one.

If they don't require power, how can they "do" anything?
    Surely the transfer of power of some kind is the difference between something happening and nothing happening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The last wolf in Ireland was killed in 1759. We had wolves and bears apparently. I never knew this. Wonder when the bears went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

david75 wrote: »
    The last wolf in Ireland was killed in 1759. We had wolves and bears apparently. I never knew this. Wonder when the bears went.

1759 was also the Birth of Guinness

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

If they don't require power, how can they "do" anything?
    Surely the transfer of power of some kind is the difference between something happening and nothing happening?
    Let us get back to basics. What is "power" in your mind?

stimpson wrote: »
    I have to say that this is one of the more interesting topics on the thread. I think you are doing a good job of explaining a complex subject in layman’s terms. You’re no Brian Cox, but you’re not far off.
    That's very kind of you stimpson. In truth I could make a bit of a better effort, if I get the chance I will. I think most people aren't aware of how much effort it takes to explain this stuff. You have to explain the truth, while at the same time getting people to forget stuff they've received from poorly thought out popularisations. Ironically it can be harder to convey this stuff to people who are into science as they've already "learned" a lot of nonsense.

You also have to gauge how much the person wants to know, what tone isn't condescending. Also many people will find a "intuitive lie", i.e. a pleasing sounding explanation that isn't actually true but closer to human intuition, more satisfying. For example see how many popularisations say the reason you can't escape from a black hole is because the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light (something which is not true).

Does Brian Cox have an explanation of the expansion of space?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Polar bears can trace their family tree back to Ireland. Genetic evidence shows they are descended from Irish brown bears that lived during the last ice age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That’s the reason alright. And it works.

Anybody who knows America knows that if an item has a sticker price of 2 dollars you don’t just hand over 2 dollars, not in most states anyway. The tax is calculated at the cashier. It’s not on the price tag. With a sales tax of 8.5% after rounding the cost is $2:17 for a sticker price of $2 or $1.99

I even doubt that Bryson wrote that as it wouldn’t make sense to Americans.

I'll try to find the book and read the bit again.
    I used a bad example phrasing it in modern terms like 0.99, he was speaking about the early days of the US so sales tax may not have been around.

Polar bears can trace their family tree back to Ireland. Genetic evidence shows they are descended from Irish brown bears that lived during the last ice age.

Just the mama bear it seems.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110707121914.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

About 2000 BC. Give or take. There are plenty of sites where bear remains have been found in Ireland, most famously in the Ailwee Caves also known as the Very Dark Caves.

There's a good article on bears in Ireland here: www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/richard-collins/irish-brown-bear-no-polar-ancestor-227656.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Greybottle wrote: »
    About 2000 BC. Give or take. There are plenty of sites where bear remains have been found in Ireland, most famously in the Ailwee Caves also known as the Very Dark Caves.

There's a good article on bears in Ireland here: www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/richard-collins/irish-brown-bear-no-polar-ancestor-227656.html

I DON'T BEELIEEEVE IT! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Does Brian Cox have an explanation of the expansion of space?

Interesting Brian Cox on the Universe YouTube vid here...

Also...

Light doesn't always travel "at the speed of light", in ultracold atomic gas speeds as low as 38mph have been recorded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

c

That’s fascinating thank you :)
    Last ice age left Ireland about 10,000 BC so it’s far really not that long ago but our entire landscape and wildlife has changed so completely. Wonder when the last giant deer(or is it elk?) were killed off? The one In the national history museum still fills me with awe. It’s enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/john-hillerman-dead-character-actor-dies-magnum-pi-higgins-murder-she-wrote-a8047151.html

The guy who played Higgins wasn't english. Apparently he modeled his accent on recordings of Hamlet.

I honestly thought he was english till I read his obituary. Apparently he was from Texas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Noooo!! Poor Higgins!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Ipso wrote: »
    I'll try to find the book and read the bit again.
    I used a bad example phrasing it in modern terms like 0.99, he was speaking about the early days of the US so sales tax may not have been around.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

A whales mickey is called a dork

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Irish wolves were nasty. Most wolves don't attack humans but the Irish ones did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A whales mickey is called a dork

I'm afraid not. That's another myth. I know several internationally renowned Marine Biologists and this came up in conversation years ago. None of them had ever heard 'dork' used in reference to a whale's anatomy. Some internet myths say it only refers to a Blue Whale but that is equally incorrect.

A bit off topic, but I wonder if the fairly recent survival of Wolves helped the banshee ghost story hang around. From hearing Coyotes in the US and how human they can sound, I wonder if the same thing happened with howling from Wolves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Cosmic Egg might have been sitting there for 50 trillion years before it erupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm afraid not. That's another myth. I know several internationally renowned Marine Biologists and this came up in conversation years ago. None of them had ever heard 'dork' used in reference to a whale's anatomy. Some internet myths say it only refers to a Blue Whale but that is equally incorrect.

Its just called a mickey then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Ipso wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but I wonder if the fairly recent survival of Wolves helped the banshee ghost story hang around. From hearing Coyotes in the US and how human they can sound, I wonder if the same thing happened with howling from Wolves.

I’m pretty sure the banshee sound is the sound of a distraught cat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement