Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying an apartment - possibly Old Infirmary

Options
  • 12-11-2017 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Folks,

Planning to buy an apartment soon. I have been eyeing up the Old Infirmary as a possible purchase. It seems ideal with off street parking, proximity to city centre and price.

Would love to hear from people who have lived in these apartments in particular or know from first hand experience what the apartments are like in regards to build quality, sound proofing, neighbors, heating costs etc.

My plan would be to buy now, live in it for the next 5 years or so and then either sell or rent. Which brings me to my next question; in terms of resale-ability/renting, a two bedroom would be more desirable than a one bedroom I assume? One bedroom apartments in the Old Infirmary would be closer to my budget, however if a 2 bedroom was worth the extra in the long run then I would seriously consider it too.

I am open to other areas, it doesn't have to be that close to the city centre (or even an apartment for that matter) i.e. Gracedieu, Butlerstown, Dunmore Road etc. as long as it is under €100,000 I could consider it, bearing in mind that my main concerns are: noisy neighbors/poor sound proofing, rough area, electric storage heating costs, security, student area.

Thoughts, advice and suggestions from folk in know most welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

One beds typically have lower rental yields than 2 beds. The difference in purchase price often doesn't reflect the difference in rental prices. There are some exceptions, but bear it in mind.

The yearly management fee could be €1k and I've yet to see a complex which gives a discount for 1 beds or charges a premium for 3 beds. In other words, you are likely to end up paying the same fee regardless of the unit size.

Don't know any specifics about the old infirmary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Very good management with a strict 'no parties' policy.
    First, you're being given a warning.
    Next time, you're left with 48hrs to pack your stuff.

Polite neighbours, the caretaker is always to be found when needed.
    The green outside is of reasonable size to have your kids play on.
    No issues with finding the parking space when needed.

Electric storage heating is a bummer. But once you build up the heat, the massive walls should keep it around for some time.
    Can't find a single "no-no" for the development. Although it's an apartment. And possibly there's a "no pets" policy in as well.

(member of my family used to rent a 1-bed in)

Advertisement