Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best people pleaser - supervalu wine sale

• 09-11-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking for red wine for wedding. Supervalu have a great sale on now so there were 3 deals that caught my eye but not being a red drinker I've no clue what's nice! Any input would be appreciated thanks! The 3 were:
    Eden Lodge Paarl Reserve Collection Shiraz
    Eden Lodge Stellenbosch Reserve Collection Cabernet Sauvignon
    Espiritu de Chile Reserva Privada 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon

Not looking to spend a fortune so these deals seemed good - 15/16 euro or so per bottle reduced to 7.50/ 7.99

Or if there are any other reds about that price point that would be worth getting I'm all ears :-)
    I heard about the Toro Loco in Aldi (or lidl? Can never remember which) being good, but as I said haven't a clue! :-)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’d actually recommend going to a wine shop and talking to them. Lots will have really good crowd-pleasing wines around the €10 mark, which they will discount further if you bulk buy. You’ll get to taste the wines, or let yourself be guided by the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wouldnt be keen in shiraz as a wedding wine? Think cab sav, rioja or merlot safer bets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

odyssey06 wrote:
    Wouldnt be keen in shiraz as a wedding wine? Think cab sav, rioja or merlot safer bets.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A soft Italian red such as Nero d'Avola would also be good, or perhaps a Cotes du Rhone.

And I'd keep an eye on the alcohol percentage, defo stay under 14%, don't want anything too heavy or intoxicating!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Do your guests a favor and don't punish them with super value rubbish.

Have a chat with curiouswines.ie they're in Nass and Cork

They also allow you to return bottles that were not drank IIRC.

Or any other independent wine shop.

You'll get far better wines in and around the price point and a lot of advice to go along with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Toro Loco is a good wine but readily identifiable as Aldi so may not suit for a wedding.

If you are going to a wine shop stick to your budget and try to avoid being up sold.

If you really don't know anything get someone to go with you. Little point in tasting if you don't know one from the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Do not ever ever believe supermarket "half price" wine offers.

In almost every case it is barely worth the "half price" price.

Applies specifically to Tesco and Super valu who scam customers regularly this way.

Classic super valu example - Pierre Darcy champagne. "half price €20" "normally €40".
    Utter bs. Horrible tasting cheap champagne and sold in Asda for a tenner.

As above, talk to local off-licence or alternatively, have a look at Aldi. Their specially selected range is excellent value. On red, the new Don Tomas malbec at 10.99 is superb.

limnam wrote: »

Have a chat with curiouswines.ie they're in Nass and Cork

Unfortunately they are no longer in Naas, - not enough people appreciated the quality of wines they had.

They do deliver though!

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are no longer in Naas, - not enough people appreciated the quality of wines they had.

They do deliver though!

Really?

Too many people buying rubbish in super value mayhaps. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Great independent little wine shop in Lucan village as well.

I'd also buy Aldi over SuperValu.

Problem is they are identifiable.

Went to a corporate event once and what comes out only bottles of Cimarosa lidl plonk for 3.99. I call it a headache in a glass. Everyone was laughing at how cheap it was.

• Advertisement

Really?

Too many people buying rubbish in super value mayhaps. :pac:

Yep, closed over a year ago. There's a gym in its place.

Yep, closed over a year ago. There's a gym in its place.

Still shows on their website?

ntent ©2013 Curious Wines Ltd. and Partners | Reg in Ireland No. 462257
    CORK: Tramore Commercial Park, Tramore Road, Cork | 1800 99 18 44 | Intl: +353 21 432 0233 / NAAS: Unit W8E, Tougher Business Park | 1800 99 18 44 | Intl: +353 45 409 117

Still shows on their website?

ntent ©2013 Curious Wines Ltd. and Partners | Reg in Ireland No. 462257
    CORK: Tramore Commercial Park, Tramore Road, Cork | 1800 99 18 44 | Intl: +353 21 432 0233 / NAAS: Unit W8E, Tougher Business Park | 1800 99 18 44 | Intl: +353 45 409 117
    They'll have to update that

http://xtremecsc.ie/naas/

They'll have to update that

http://xtremecsc.ie/naas/

Strongly worded letter written. :pac:

They're definitely gone from Naas. I had planned to go down a while back but noticed the Twitter account for Naas was gone.

I usually buy a case or two from them anytime I'm back home in Cork. In fact, I bought the wine for my sister's wedding from their Cork store. Really easy to deal with, bulk volume discount once I bought a certain number of bottles, plus the ability to return any unopened bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Dunnes do a very good red, I Poco a poco for about €8.50. Really good stuff and a bargain at that price.

limnam wrote:
    Do your guests a favor and don't punish them with super value rubbish.

So every single bottle of wine they carry is rubbish? Thanks for your insight.
    elperello wrote:
    Toro Loco is a good wine but readily identifiable as Aldi so may not suit for a wedding.

It being readily identifiable wouldn't bother me at all, or my friends, a good wine is a good wine, they don't mind at all where it comes from, neither would I (obviously).. I just want something nice and drinkable that doesn't break the bank. All my friends were telling me to just go to Aldi for it! No wine snobs in my gang. Just spotted the SuperValu sale and said I'd have a look.

Thanks for all the comments. Helpful or no :-)

mcgiggles wrote: »

It being readily identifiable wouldn't bother me at all, or my friends, a good wine is a good wine, they don't mind at all where it comes from, neither would I (obviously).. I just want something nice and drinkable that doesn't break the bank. All my friends were telling me to just go to Aldi for it! No wine snobs in my gang. Just spotted the SuperValu sale and said I'd have a look.

Thanks for all the comments. Helpful or no :-)

Good on you!

I was just warning you against walking into it. there are wine snobs out there.

Go for the Toro Loco so, it's very drinkable.

Spend the money you save on the honeymoon and Good Luck!

I'm sure there's drinkable bottles in there whole range but you're missing the point and then chose to pick up on this rather than the advice you were provided.

and your welcome.

elperello wrote: »
    G

Go for the Toro Loco so, it's very drinkable.

I'm copy and pasting an answer I gave on this recently
    limnam wrote:
    Their Baron Amarillo Rioja Reserva is far better than the Toro Loco imho

Toro loco got a bit of a name for itself about 5 years ago,but what's in the bottle today doesn't resemble anything like back then imho

The Baron Amarillo on the other hand has been fairly consistent since they first started to stock it

• Advertisement

limnam wrote:
    I'm sure there's drinkable bottles in there whole range but you're missing the point and then chose to pick up on this rather than the advice you were provided.

I appreciate the advice :-)
    I just had to laugh at the blanket statement as they carry so many wines! I'm not fussy, neither are my friends, drinkable works for us. Wine is wine, I'd rather spend the extra money on something else!

Wine is not just wine. There are some great bottles out there sub €10, and I think you should give yourself a chance to find some good wines for the celebrations. If you're unsure yourself, go talk to a friendly wine shop. They'd be delighted to guide you and sell to you.

Thanks I'll give it a try.:)

Wine is wine, I'd rather spend the extra money on something else!

Almost €4 of a bottle of wine is duty and vat on the duty - doesn't matter whether its a €6 bottle or a €600 bottle, the duty is the same.

Thus wines under €7 are mostly poor quality and poor value.

From €8 it gets drinkable.

€10 and you start to find some good ones.

I'd go for the Specially selected Touraine Sauvingnon Blanc €7.99 and highly rated by reviewers and Specially selected Argentinian Malbec - a very drinkable red. €8.49

Both would rate far far better than any false half price wine from super valu or tesco.

CeilingFly wrote:
    I'd go for the Specially selected Touraine Sauvingnon Blanc €7.99 and highly rated by reviewers and Specially selected Argentinian Malbec - a very drinkable red. €8.49

CeilingFly wrote:
    Both would rate far far better than any false half price wine from super valu or tesco.

Thanks for that! Will try!

limnam wrote:

Thanks! Will def try*!

*Get my red loving friend to try :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Currently having a glass of the Hungarian Gruner Veltliner mentioned in this article.

Really good at a price point of 6.99

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/drink/john-wilson-s-picks-from-the-aldi-wine-sale-1.3176780

Friend recommended Campo Viejo Tempranillo in Tesco.. good price 7euro on sale then 5% off on every 6 bought!

A nice Tempranillo always goes down well.
    Buy a bottle and get your mate to try it before you buy a lot.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote:
    A nice Tempranillo always goes down well. Buy a bottle and get your mate to try it before you buy a lot.

Its her favourite wine she drinks it all the time, hence when she saw it on sale for such a good price she was like BUY THAT ONE! :-)

Advertisement