Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a 318i e36 just about to turn 20 years

Options
  • 03-11-2017 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Last years insurance was 635 on a 1998 e36 318i. It is my daily driver.

I had a windscreen claim that was not supposed to affect the cover and the Axa requote was up from 635 to 1000. The only other people quoting are 857.

This might be better placed also in the insurance thread but I am asking about classic insurance.

Last year non of the brokers would take it as classic as it was less than 20 years old.

Would you expect quotes for classic to be around 400-500 with a mileage limit. It being my daily driver might also hamper things but I only do 3-4k miles per year.

I am thinking to do a DD per month and cancel once it goes over the 20 year by moving to a classic policy (if cheaper and possible)

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Pretty much impossible to get classic insurance in this country these days without having a separate main car.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Thats not to say its impossible but would ye be any better of?prob not.if its your daily your gonna get a sore botty im afraid.best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

commited wrote: »
    Pretty much impossible to get classic insurance in this country these days without having a separate main car.

I don't have a separate main car, never had, in over 10 years of classic car ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ive a 99 e36 323i insured as a classic for €450 (I think) with autoline. 3k miles a year max and had to have evidence of a second main car policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Try first Ireland brokers, I've been using them for years for my classic insurance on my daily and only car.
    400 a year with 6000 millage limit on my old bmw. car needs to be 20 years or older, and driver needs to be 25 or older.

But of course, it still seems to be a lottery on who they insure and who they don't.

I've had the policy through Axa, allianz and aig over the years and none have ever required a daily driver car for me, just the classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm very lucky to be on an old policy with broker First Ireland that lets me insure a >15 year old car as a classic while I don't have a daily insured in my own name. '99 Porsche + '87 Mercedes on fully comprehensive insurance (building up no claims bonus) for about €390 for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

thats interesting unkel, i guess i am on the same type of policy as you with first ireland fully comp no other policy. i have 2 cars on it an old merc 116 and a saab 900s 1993.

i rang recently to ask about adding a 15 year old car and they said that it was strictly 20 years, AIG have tightened their rules a bit, i was thinking of selling the saab and getting a 2003 clk in the new year and i had been told 6 months ago that because i was on an existing policy i could add a 15 year old car if they considered it a classic.

i might try them again after christmas

Yep same here. Because I'm on an existing policy, I can still add 15 year old cars to it. I'll never let this policy go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

unkel wrote: »
    Yep same here. Because I'm on an existing policy, I can still add 15 year old cars to it. I'll never let this policy go :)

I have a similar policy with First Ireland which allows me to add cars 15 years and older for €50 each, and does not require a separate policy on another car. I rang recently with a query and was told that if I didn't have another such policy I could expect a 20% loading on renewal but as it wasn't a condition of the current policy I was fine until renewal.

I've always been under the impression that an insurer can change the terms of a policy on "renewal" as you are actually agreeing to a new contract rather than continuing to pay for an existing policy, such as a long-term life insurance policy. So, every year they can change the cost, or add and remove other conditions, including the facility to add cars of a particular age.

They never change terms or refuse to insure existing cars on a policy (even at renewal), but they could refuse to start taking on new cars. Luckily for us, they show us the courtesy to keep letting us do it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement