Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halligan to visit grumpy Kim?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is it not common for a person's CV to have a 'Marital Status' entry any more?

...... maybe this is now dispensed with in our rush to political correctness .....

I will add that 'marital status' always had a bearing on whether I employed someone or not.
    When looking for stability in an employee it was preferred that he should be married.

Most businesses are employing a 'whole person' and not just a robot or part of a person.
    Every aspect of a person's character and life is relevant to the decision.

OK, Halligan should not have asked the question ...... but he probably should have found the information by other means in order to make the best informed decision he could.

Can you please explain the bolded sentences above? I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that a married person is somehow more desirable to hire than a single person? And if so, on what basis are you making that conclusion? I'm trying to see where you are coming from with that statement.

I'm sure you didn't mean that married employees are somehow more stable or superior workers, I just want you to clarify the meaning please, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can you please explain the bolded sentences above? I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that a married person is somehow more desirable to hire than a single person? And if so, on what basis are you making that conclusion? I'm trying to see where you are coming from with that statement.

I'm sure you didn't mean that married employees are somehow more stable or superior workers, I just want you to clarify the meaning please, thanks.

I'd say a married/settled person is more likely to stay in a job once they've got it. Single people are more flighty as they can afford to be as a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Pity that Mr. Halligan isn't going to NK to play the cultural exchange card. A coupla blasts of the oul' Riverdance and King John Young woulda bin putty in his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anybody who goes anywhere near North Korea must be rightly out of their mind. They basically killed a student for ripping down a poster...

I would have been once interested in going, but probably not now, it has become too unstable. Henry Rollins went there a few years ago, incredible stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you understand the concept of 'settled' in life, then you get it.
    A 'settled' employee was more desirable than one who might up and leave on a whim.

You should also note the tense in which the post was written ..... and you have changed to question in the present tense.

If you understand the concept of 'settled' in life, then you get it.
    A 'settled' employee was more desirable than one who might up and leave on a whim.

You should also note the tense in which the post was written ..... and you have changed to question in the present tense.

I don't see the connection between settled and the calibre of an employee, what am I missing? Your second line is just confusing so I will return to my main query.

Do you think married people with children are more likely to be better employees then, with a superior skill set? That they will stay longer? Staying long in a job is certainly not a sign of a good employee, if you have hired people then you know that plus if you are implying (and you may not be, you haven't really explained yourself so well) that married and "settled" people make for a better employee. I know for a fact that many single people are excellent loyal and trustworthy employees and there are plenty of incompetent and useless married employees as well out there. No link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't see the connection between settled and the calibre of an employee, what am I missing? Your second line is just confusing so I will return to my main query.

You might query and twist and introduce any concept you like, but I am not about to feed your need.

I have answered, and if you do not understand then that is for you to figure out.
    Do you think married people with children are more likely to be better employees then, with a superior skill set? That they will stay longer? Staying long in a job is certainly not a sign of a good employee, if you have hired people then you know that plus if you are implying (and you may not be, you haven't really explained yourself so well) that married and "settled" people make for a better employee. I know for a fact that many single people are excellent loyal and trustworthy employees and there are plenty of incompetent and useless married employees as well out there. No link.

A whole load of stuff that I never mentioned ..... not engaging.

You might query and twist and introduce any concept you like, but I am not about to feed your need.

I have answered, and if you do not understand then that is for you to figure out.

A whole load of stuff that I never mentioned ..... not engaging.

Well, I wanted to reach out and ask you what you meant about being settled as a preferable status for being employed as per your previous post, but you cant back up your words,shame you couldn't explain or clarify the meaning.

For the record, being "settled" means many things to many people and has little to do with how loyal or competent a worker you are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

John Halligan's peace mission goes a bit awry and he makes a dash for the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Anybody who goes anywhere near North Korea must be rightly out of their mind. They basically killed a student for ripping down a poster...

Or if you choose to go to any country in the world you should look to abide by their rules and conduct yourself in a respectful manner?

I don't condone the actions of NK but it isn't like you don't know anything about the place, if you want to go there you better make sure you are on your best behaviour....or don't go.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement