Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traffic changes

• 06-11-2017 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

So from tomorrow Bath street will be one way from Poleberry no more going straight ahead coming down bunkers hill,is this the start of all the changes ie Bunkers hill manor street one way?
    CHANGES TO TRAFFIC FLOW LAYOUT
    From tomorrow, Tuesday 7th November until further notice, Bath Street in Waterford City will be one way only from its junction with Poleberry Link Road to its junction with Manor Street, Cork Rd and College St.
    Access to Poleberry and Bath Street will be via Railway Square.

23231640_10155181816714423_3757200548894362096_n.png?oh=1eca068c9c86fac58a83a4bd8a3b7283&oe=5A9F9020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

So from tomorrow Bath street will be one way from Poleberry no more going straight ahead coming down bunkers hill,is this the start of all the changes ie Bunkers hill manor street one way?

23231640_10155181816714423_3757200548894362096_n.png?oh=1eca068c9c86fac58a83a4bd8a3b7283&oe=5A9F9020

Q the usual moaners stating their life will never be the same again, council bashing etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not sure if this is related to the changes, but traffic was backed up more than normal at ballybeg junction this afternoon. was there an incident towards town at around 2.30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    not sure if this is related to the changes, but traffic was backed up more than normal at ballybeg junction this afternoon. was there an incident towards town at around 2.30pm?

It can be like that on college days. I tend to avoid driving down past the college from 430 on as it can come to a crawl.

I have noticed tho the traffic backing up from the traffic lights at Bath street all the way up toward Woodies. Might just be until people get used to not turning into Bath st and until the new layout is opened down at Railway sq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to see how this improves anything really beyond not allowing traffic to turn right at Railway Square/Manor Street which can be a tricky business.

Hard to see how this improves anything really beyond not allowing traffic to turn right at Railway Square/Manor Street which can be a tricky business.

Isnt all these new routes for new cycle lanes or something along those lines? Could just end up creating more traffic jams around that end of town. Getting from Woodies to the bridge via parnell street/the mall/the quay could be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Mulbert

alta stare wrote:
    Isnt all these new routes for new cycle lanes or something along those lines? Could just end up creating more traffic jams around that end of town. Getting from Woodies to the bridge via parnell street/the mall/the quay could be a nightmare.

Unless you need to go that way, why would u even consider that route. It has been the longest option since Christ was a child.

Mulbert wrote: »
    Unless you need to go that way, why would u even consider that route. It has been the longest option since Christ was a child.

Sometimes i have no option as my job takes me that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Dont know if its to do with the new changes but traffic was crazy this afternoon/evening,cars backed up from Ballybeg lights down to Morris's and from the Manor up to Mcdonalds

Dont know if its to do with the new changes but traffic was crazy this afternoon/evening,cars backed up from Ballybeg lights down to Morris's and from the Manor up to Mcdonalds

I would not be surprised if it was because of the changes. Iv seen it myself.

Seems odd that it would cause a tailback - if you use Bath Street as a rat run then take the Inner Relief Road long before you get there.

• Advertisement

Seems odd that it would cause a tailback - if you use Bath Street as a rat run then take the Inner Relief Road long before you get there.

Yeah it does seem strange alright. If it is the cause as i said maybe it will be ok when people get used to not being able to turn at Bath St.

Up around the Glen has been backed up the last few evenings aswell so dunno whats going on with traffic the last few days.

The lights outside the RSC have a lot to do with the traffic backing up all the way to Morris's,but this week i have noticed everywhere around the town has been bad for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I walked down Bunkers Hill this morning around 11:45 and the traffic was backed up beyond Rice Park. The traffic turning right to go out past Morrises only has a filter light letting through 4-6 cars. Only saw 1 or 2 cars turning left. Must be complete bedlam at school collection time and rush hour.

smaoifs wrote: »
    I walked down Bunkers Hill this morning around 11:45 and the traffic was backed up beyond Rice Park. The traffic turning right to go out past Morrises only has a filter light letting through 4-6 cars. Only saw 1 or 2 cars turning left. Must be complete bedlam at school collection time and rush hour.

That is no surprise, hardly anyone turns left into town going down Bunkers Hill, they go straight (or did!) and right.

That is no surprise, hardly anyone turns left into town going down Bunkers Hill, they go straight (or did!) and right.

Straight and right to go into the town? What town is that then? :D

Don't start that shiot! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

The amount of maniacs driving straight down Bunker's Hill and proceeding down the Bath Street is appalling.

You sort of half expect it to happen on a lazy Sunday morning or late at night during the week.
    But a pensioner proceeding down at 4 pm heavy traffic on Tuesday afternoon just beat all that!

beazee wrote: »
    The amount of maniacs driving straight down Bunker's Hill and proceeding down the Bath Street is appalling.

You sort of half expect it to happen on a lazy Sunday morning or late at night during the week.
    But a pensioner proceeding down at 4 pm heavy traffic on Tuesday afternoon just beat all that!

Seen a few myself still driving down bath street,the whole area is crazy to be honest its a complete mess all around poleberry railway square and the manor

beazee wrote:
    You sort of half expect it to happen on a lazy Sunday morning or late at night during the week. But a pensioner proceeding down at 4 pm heavy traffic on Tuesday afternoon just beat all that!

A year on since the changes at Summerland I still see drivers taking a look around and making a now illegal right hand turn either coming down Ozanam St or up the Lower Yellow Road.

Surely if Bath Street is one way they should have the road marked for that with two lanes of traffic left and right exiting onto The Manor. Very hard to accidentally drive across a junction into a street full of cars coming the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Surely if Bath Street is one way they should have the road marked for that with two lanes of traffic left and right exiting onto The Manor. Very hard to accidentally drive across a junction into a street full of cars coming the other way.

It's not an accident Harry, just ignorance.drove down there myself recently and it is obvious no driving straight towards poleberry from bunkers hill.

Have you seen the setup they have down there?

Not yet, I have little reason to go into "town". I'm sure it wont be too long though.

So do they have two exit lanes from Bath Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Half the street is blocked off by the red and white plastic road barriers. With No Entry sign visible from out the Bunkers Hill.

Also, the traffic lights have arrows pointing left into the City or right along the Cork Road.

Take some effort not to notice the clues :)

Not yet, I have little reason to go into "town". I'm sure it wont be too long though.

So do they have two exit lanes from Bath Street?

No road markings on either street just a few bollards that are easy to drive around,there is plenty of signs etc saying its a one way but really the whole place just looks like a building site

Right, so they half-arsed this development and it'll be finished by Christmas no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

No road markings on either street just a few bollards that are easy to drive around,there is plenty of signs etc saying its a one way but really the whole place just looks like a building site

Because it is a building site,

Max Powers wrote: »

Wheres the building site and what are they building?

Railway Square and Poleberry leading onto Bath Street are the only places with road works,there is no road works or a building site on the Manor or Bath street where all the bollards are.

Max Powers wrote:

Path closed today as you're walking towards the river walk. We had to cross the road twice today and then walk along the road with prams to get past the apartments in Bath St.

Filter light for turning right off Bunkers Hill still hasn't been adjusted to allow for more traffic turning right. At least 4 cars breaking the light today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

smaoifs wrote: »
    A year on since the changes at Summerland I still see drivers taking a look around and making a now illegal right hand turn either coming down Ozanam St or up the Lower Yellow Road.

That was a stupid change to the traffic to be fair. Have you ever tried turning left at end of Ozaman Street when the traffic is already going fast in both lanes? Theres about an inch of space to get by!

Really I don't understand WHY these changes were made, cant recall reading or hearing anything about the reasoning behind them.

Advertisement