Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Ireland follow Europe's Lead in Aborting the Huge Majority of Down Syndrome Pos

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

People with DS are human beings like everyone else and deserve to have a chance at life and many can live a perfectly normal and loving life. It's just murder. Just say you don't want down syndrome people in the world and be done with it, at least it's an intellectually honest argument.

People with DS are human beings like everyone else and deserve to have a chance at life and many can live a perfectly normal and loving life. It's just murder. Just say you don't want down syndrome people in the world and be done with it, at least it's an intellectually honest argument.

Where's your line? Fertilisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Video by person with DS making presentation to US Congress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJEoRhkapw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think it's more a case of what happens with readily available abortion, rather than a grand plan. People will filter their children on various cases and DS is high up there. Gender is another easy one. Further down the line we can expect more advanced genetic tests to select on (intelligence, physical traits, maybe even sexual orientation and other things like that?). If you don't think that something is fully formed or has rights until it exits a woman's vagina or belly, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

And many many don’t live a perfectly normal life and in fact many of even the high functioning people with DS need a lot more additional supports, very few people with DS will lead totally independent lives.
    And to call parents making the hardest decision of their lives murderers is disgusting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

WHAT DOES GODWINNING MEAN?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't want a child with DS. I have 4 children, and having a child with DS would have a serious impact on our ability to give those existing children the kind of start in life I want them to have.

Even if I did not already have children, I would not want to have a child with DS. I don't believe in life at any cost or irrespective of the quality of that life. I would not want to bring a child with DS into the world, i would not want to because I would not intentionally bring a child into the world where I knew that child would suffer. Additionally, and quite selfishly, I would not want to suffer the impact it would have on my life.

All that said, if someone else wants to bring a child with DS into the world then all power to them. I salute them. It is entirely their choice, and I support that. After all, I am pro-choice.

MrP

c_man wrote: »

I think it's more a case of what happens with readily available abortion, rather than a grand plan. People will filter their children on various cases and DS is high up there. Gender is another easy one. Further down the line we can expect more advanced genetic tests to select on (intelligence, physical traits, maybe even sexual orientation and other things like that?). If you don't think that something is fully formed or has rights until it exits a woman's vagina or belly, then why not?

That is the fundamental disagreement, I don't believe in that. 
    harr wrote: »
    And many many don’t live a perfectly normal life and in fact many of even the high functioning people with DS need a lot more additional supports, very few people with DS will lead totally  independent  lives.
    And to call parents making the hardest decision  of their lives  murderers is disgusting..
    You don't need to live an "independent life" to live a good life for as long as possible and to get the enjoyments out of life. We are here once and some don't want to give down syndrome people any chance of experiencing life, even with it's negatives.  What about two down syndrome people meeting each other, getting married, having children?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

rawn wrote: »

Here you go.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The hypocrisy of Left-Wing Liberals they will defend the life of killers and murderers but gladly take away the life of innocents whether they are healthy or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

That is the fundamental disagreement, I don't believe in that.

Neither do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Horrifying comment. You have never lived life with a relative with a disability to be saying things like that.
    How dare you dictate what one parent can cope with over another.

As always people are concerned about people aborting babies with these conditions but don't give a monkeys about them when they're born.
    Instead of judging families who have decided to terminate a pregnancy why don't you volunteer/campaign for your local Downs Syndrome charity?
    After all, they're just like everyone else and many live a perfectly normal life. Shouldn't be a bother to you.

I say this as someone who has a sibling with a severe disability that requires round the clock supervision even as a near adult. A man who will never know independence. We love him so much but he's very hard work.

My mam is with him 24/7 as his carer and she's amazing. Never complains. She has never uttered a word about regrets but jesus I wouldn't blame her for not choosing a life like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

c_man wrote: »
    That's bolloX tbh. 35 years ago we had a care home in our estate, with plenty of DS people in it and it was well established by then. It was nice having them live in, and be part of the local community. The nurses/carers there were something else.
    He might be a bit out on his timeline, but I'm not that old and I can remember children (and adults) with DS being hidden away in locked rooms and much much worse.

And I guarantee you this, a lot of those who treated people with DS like cattle would be the same ones upon arms about aborting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Ah. Have to say I'm a little disappointed, I had hoped it was another "I'm eating my breakfast, Kate" type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

He might be a bit out on his timeline, but I'm not that old and I can remember children (and adults) with DS being hidden away in locked rooms and much much worse.
    A town not far from me had a very large care home and it was very common practice for parents to leave disabled here and never see them again and not all children left here were seriously disabled children ..a lot the residents are in their 40,s and 50,s now so the practice of giving up children happened well into the 80,s .
    Parents were actively encouraged by nuns ( who ran the Home) and priests to give up the children...the same people who start preaching when abortion is mentioned..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont think anyone actually cares if there are people with DS in the world. The people who care are the ones who are forced to look after them for the rest of their lives.

If someone has a DS child they have 2 options.
    1. Abandon the child to social care.
    2. Spend the rest of their lives caring for the child who will likely outlive them and have to go into care anyway.

Its normal for parents to care for their children for 18 years at which point you expect your child to be mostly self sufficient and be totally self sufficient in their early 20's.
    Nobody wants to abandon their child but given the option a lot would like to avoid having to look after their special needs child for 60 years and a child whose mental age rarely exceeds 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    As always people are concerned about people aborting babies with these conditions but don't give a monkeys about them when they're born.
    I'm always fascinated by people who seem to think that being born is always better than not being born. I have to wonder what kind of narrow life experience someone might have to actually believe this.

It's as if they believe that once you're out of that birth canal it's all puppies and roses and fun and games.

The harsh truth is that while our human condition brings us to retroactively "cherish" life experiences, even the hard ones, that doesn't mean everyone will or should cherish those same experiences. And that they shouldn't be forced to endure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The Me generation just took it one level higher, and feigns a 'best for all concerned' line of patter in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I would never judge anyone for aborting a DS child. It's a heart breaking decision with life changing consequences.

Can you really blame people for not wanting the life portrayed in the article posted earlier?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Horrifying comment. You have never lived life with a relative with a disability to be saying things like that.
    How dare you dictate what one parent can cope with over another.

Instead of judging families who have decided to terminate a pregnancy why don't you volunteer/campaign for your local Downs Syndrome charity?
    After all, they're just like everyone else and many live a perfectly normal life. Shouldn't be a bother to you.

I say this as someone who has a sibling with a severe disability that requires round the clock supervision even as a near adult. A man who will never know independence. We love him so much but he's very hard work.

My mam is with him 24/7 as his carer and she's amazing. Never complains. She has never uttered a word about regrets but jesus I wouldn't blame her for not choosing a life like this.

How do you know that? To defend the right to life for down syndrome people is not something I am ashamed of, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You don't need to live an "independent life" to live a good life for as long as possible and to get the enjoyments out of life. We are here once and some don't want to give down syndrome people any chance of experiencing life, even with it's negatives.  What about two down syndrome people meeting each other, getting married, having children?

What about the people who need to give up their own lives to facilitate these high ideals?

Does your sympathy not extend to those who through no fault of their own have to shoulder that burden?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They do it to female foetuses in China and India, why not DS foetuses in Europe?

How do you know that? To defend the right to life for down syndrome people is not something I am ashamed of, far from it.

Because I can't imagine anyone who has walked the walk ever being so insensitive and judgmental towards a fellow parent/relative who is going through the same.

It is your right to defend of course, but you should be a bit more compassionate and realise not everyone is cut out for raising a disabled child. There is no shame in it, despite your efforts using emotive language. Suggesting its murder is just disgusting.

I also note you completely disregarded the rest of my post and just focused on the first line

Because I can't imagine anyone who has walked the walk ever being so insensitive and judgmental towards a fellow parent/relative who is going through the same.

It is your right to defend of course, but you should be a bit more compassionate and realise not everyone is cut out for raising a disabled child. There is no shame in it, despite your efforts using emotive language. Suggesting its murder is just disgusting.

I also note you completely disregarded the rest of my post and just focused on the first line
    I stick by everything I said, I disagree with it ethically and morally. If you want to do it and it's legal, crack away, I can't agree with it and unlikely ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

She/He is not interested in discussing it with you. They just want to show how morally superior they are by defending the life of an innocent, unborn not even fully formed fetus.

You can't debate with someone so high up on their horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

topper75 wrote: »
    The Me generation just took it one level higher, and feigns a 'best for all concerned' line of patter in doing so.

If by some misfortune you knew that from tomorrow you had to live the rest of your life being completely and utterly dependent on the 24/7 care of your aging parents, how would you feel today?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Doltanian wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of Left-Wing Liberals they will defend the life of killers and murderers but gladly take away the life of innocents whether they are healthy or otherwise.

plenty of "left wing liberals" disagree with baby murder.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

I stick by everything I said, I disagree with it ethically and morally. If you want to do it and it's legal, crack away, I can't agree with it and unlikely ever will.

Great, that's your choice. If someone else was to choose not to give birth to a disabled child, they can crack away, as you said.
    Its neither here nor there whether you agree or not because its none of your business.
    I'm also pro choice so at least we can agree on something :):):)

Advertisement