Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a career as Paramedic for me cause of slipped disk?

Options
  • 04-11-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Is a career as Paramedic for me as I injured my back almost 2 years ago and got slipped disk from it. I am back to almost where i was before the slipped disk. the only issue i have now is if am sitting for long periods of time or on a bad chair my back would start acting up. i currenlty work in an office 9-6 plus 2 hour commute daily which doesnt help things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

boa2507 wrote: »
    Is a career as Paramedic for me as I injured my back almost 2 years ago and got slipped disk from it. I am back to almost where i was before the slipped disk. the only issue i have now is if am sitting for long periods of time or on a bad chair my back would start acting up. i currenlty work in an office 9-6 plus 2 hour commute daily which doesnt help things

Well as a paramedic you have 12 hour shifts sitting in cabs of ambulances sometimes for the 12 hours driving around the country or sitting in the back looking after the patient so I dunno if that will aggravate your back some lifting is also involved moving patients but I'm sure you no that I'm a paramedic in had a disc and shoulder injury before I started the job but it causes me no issues now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Not going to lie but you will be sitting in the front of an uncomfortbale ambulance for several hours a day. Not to mention you'll be lifting heavy and awkward people up from the floor, beds, and other awkward places. When you're back at the base there's not much else aside from a couch to sit down on.
    Not saying it should stop you from becoming one but it is something that involves a large amount of sitting around and manual handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 boa2507

NASlad wrote: »
    Not going to lie but you will be sitting in the front of an uncomfortbale ambulance for several hours a day. Not to mention you'll be lifting heavy and awkward people up from the floor, beds, and other awkward places. When you're back at the base there's not much else aside from a couch to sit down on.
    Not saying it should stop you from becoming one but it is something that involves a large amount of sitting around and manual handling.

have you seen that a lot of paramedics get back injuries as a result from working on the job like people working in nursing homes/construction sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

boa2507 wrote: »
    have you seen that a lot of paramedics get back injuries as a result from working on the job like people working in nursing homes/construction sector

I have unfortunately. Not often it puts them out of the job completely, usually it does that the 2nd or 3rd time. :p
    You can play your cards safely and use manual handling down to a tee. It's a bit awkward and unrealistic however to be able to do that all the time.

Honestly OP I'd say if you can lift somebody from the ground with 3 other people using a stretcher, or get down and do CPR for 5-10 minutes at a time you'll be fine. Just don't strain yourself or bust your back trying to lift huge lads off the ground.
    Go for it sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

I guess you can sue op.

• Advertisement
Advertisement