Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party food that doesn't require me to spend hours moving things around the

Options
  • 08-11-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've previously mentioned on here that since my ex husband moved out I've had a "decorate my tree" party whereby my best friends come over and decorate my tree with me, or without me lately because I've been busy in the kitchen.

It's a great night but this year I'd like to spend less time at the oven and more with my guests.

Traditionally...and still there will be "my" traditional honey, mustard and sesame seed cocktail sausages...I'd be disowned if I stopped these. I usually do frozen finger food + garlic bread + fresh wings/goujons as well.

I'm generally limited by my best friend who is very allergic to fish so smoked salmon/prawns are totally out... But not this year.

I have an oven, a microwave, 4 ring hob, actifry, and a slow cooker and dream of not having to lose an hour or more to moving stuff around the oven or watching oven timers.

Suggestions for what I can do that would limit cooking time yet still have hot/warm food would be great. No cheese, another allergy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

What about things that can be eaten cold? Little quiches or sandwiches? Can be prepped in advance and throw a damp tea towel over them to keep the bread fresh. Everyone loves a good salad sambo imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Vol vent can be cooked before hand and eaten cold , just make up a chicken and mushroom white sauce , if you decide to serve hot just heat up sauce and fill before you serve enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

CheerLouth wrote: »
    What about things that can be eaten cold? Little quiches or sandwiches? Can be prepped in advance and throw a damp tea towel over them to keep the bread fresh. Everyone loves a good salad sambo imo!

I found cold stuff doesn't get eaten. This is the 5th year of the party and hot definitely goes down better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Some of my "crowd pleasers":
    Devils on horseback (with prunes)
    Also chilli con carne, easy to make and to leave to cook itself on the hob. Serve with tortillas or with wraps and guacamole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

What about something in the slow cooker that you could leave on warm and people could serve themselves? Don't have any specific ideas sorry as my sc is gathering dust!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What about something in the slow cooker that you could leave on warm and people could serve themselves? Don't have any specific ideas sorry as my sc is gathering dust!

Pulled pork! My sister had it at a babtism and it was yum on buns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Pulled pork! My sister had it at a babtism and it was yum on buns

Was thinking that but wondering if it was too summery?

Advertisement