Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimy Fianna Fail shyster attacks Bono

Options
  • 08-11-2017 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

The front page of today’s Daily Mail was given over to a slimy Fianna Failure gombeen called Michael McGrath, who’s making a pathetic and transparent attempt to pick up a few cheap votes by attacking Bono over a non-issue in relation to his tax arrangements. Let’s just remind ourselves briefly of the record of the political party this parish pump buffoon belongs to.

TWICE in the last 40 years, FF have destroyed this country’s economy – the first time being in the late 70’s – by throwing money at everyone in the country in the form of massive welfare and public sector pay increases, purely to buy votes.

FF have been investigated and condemned in tribunal after tribunal for corruption from the top of the party to the bottom, with a number of their members jailed for a variety of corruption related offences.

During the last years of their 13 year reign of mismanagement, they suspended the democratic right to vote of the people of THREE constituencies to cling onto power. Robert Mugabe would be proud.

I could devote an entire website to the list of gross hypocrisies and lies peddled by the party, but let’s just mention one recent one – the party who signed the agreement with the Troika to introduce water charges to Ireland now trumpets it’s supposed opposition to the same charges at every opportunity.

The same party has a long record, or course, of facilitating and encouraging tax evasion and avoidance: Charlie McCreevy, during FF’s last reign of terror, lost no chance to introduce tax breaks for private healthcare companies – a move which has directly contributed to the two tier health service.

The slimy buffoon McGrath is of course, trying to pick up a few cheap votes by pandering to the army of infantile, knuckle dragging gobshi*tes out there who mouth off at every opportunity about how much they hate Bono. Of course, the reason they hate Bono has nothing to do with his tax affairs, but is based purely on infantile begrudgery – he’s rich and famous and they’re not. U2 have done more for this country in their 40 year career than this slimy poltroon could ever even dream of achieving. Hopefully his pathetic attempt to whip up more Bono hatred will backfire on the imbecile.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Member of corrupt tax evaders party complains about legal tax avoidance schemes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I suppose Bono could cite numerous politicians and parties doing same. The difference is Bono isn't paid to work on the behalf of the public, while legally ripping them off. Also he doesn't make the policies that allow such things to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The front page of today’s Daily Mail was given over to a slimy Fianna Failure gombeen called Michael McGrath, who’s making a pathetic and transparent attempt to pick up a few cheap votes by attacking Bono over a non-issue in relation to his tax arrangements. Let’s just remind ourselves briefly of the record of the political party this parish pump buffoon belongs to.

TWICE in the last 40 years, FF have destroyed this country’s economy – the first time being in the late 70’s – by throwing money at everyone in the country in the form of massive welfare and public sector pay increases, purely to buy votes.

FF have been investigated and condemned in tribunal after tribunal for corruption from the top of the party to the bottom, with a number of their members jailed for a variety of corruption related offences.

During the last years of their 13 year reign of mismanagement, they suspended the democratic right to vote of the people of THREE constituencies to cling onto power. Robert Mugabe would be proud.

I could devote an entire website to the list of gross hypocrisies and lies peddled by the party, but let’s just mention one recent one – the party who signed the agreement with the Troika to introduce water charges to Ireland now trumpets it’s supposed opposition to the same charges at every opportunity.

The same party has a long record, or course, of facilitating and encouraging tax evasion and avoidance: Charlie McCreevy, during FF’s last reign of terror, lost no chance to introduce tax breaks for private healthcare companies – a move which has directly contributed to the two tier health service.

The slimy buffoon McGrath is of course, trying to pick up a few cheap votes by pandering to the army of infantile, knuckle dragging gobshi*tes out there who mouth off at every opportunity about how much they hate Bono. Of course, the reason they hate Bono has nothing to do with his tax affairs, but is based purely on infantile begrudgery – he’s rich and famous and they’re not. U2 have done more for this country in their 40 year career than this slimy poltroon could ever even dream of achieving. Hopefully his pathetic attempt to whip up more Bono hatred will backfire on the imbecile.

Take it you don't like FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

kbannon wrote: »
    Member of corrupt tax evaders party complains about legal tax avoidance schemes?

From the same party who signed the agreement to introduce water charges to Ireland and now pretends they're opposed to water charges. These of course are the water charges which had to be introduced in order to rectify the damage Fianna Fail had done to the economy in the first place. Kafka couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

This is basically a long winded argument to whataboutary

• Advertisement

This is basically a long winded argument to whataboutary

No, it isn't. It's an attempt to highlight the disgusting hypocracy of a party who may yet manage to slither back into power and destroy the country a third time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

In the interests of fairness should you not declare your own political leanings John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

No, it isn't. It's an attempt to highlight the disgusting hypocracy of a party who may yet manage to slither back into power and destroy the country a third time.

Unless ye haven't noticed they're in power already. FG can't do anything unless they can rely on FF to get it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree with everything you say about FF, I disagree with everything you have to say about Bono.

Yes, U2 have produced some great music, but they don't pay their taxes. They are equally as bad as Denis O'Brien. He moved to Portugal to legally avoid capital gains tax in Ireland, they moved their royalty company to the Netherlands to legally avoid income tax in Ireland.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say about FF, I disagree with everything you have to say about Bono.

Yes, U2 have produced some great music, but they don't pay their taxes. They are equally as bad as Denis O'Brien. He moved to Portugal to legally avoid capital gains tax in Ireland, they moved their royalty company to the Netherlands to legally avoid income tax in Ireland.
    "They don't pay their taxes" - are you saying they are not tax compliant because I'd wager that you're completely wrong!

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    In the interests of fairness should you not declare your own political leanings John?

I'm not a member of any political party if that's what you mean. I grew up in the '80's and witnessed the appalling behaviour of the arch shyster Haughey, which coloured my politics from then on. How anyone can vote for these people given their track record of corruption and mismanagement is beyond me but of course that's the Irish for you. Always admiring the cute hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Not sure what one thing has to do with the other, but don't let that stop you with whatever this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The scandal and corruption associated with Haughey, Burke, Ahern and others is of a bygone era so it's unfair to relate McGrath with the sins of his political predecessors. He is the party finance spokesman so is fully entitled to comment on this subject. Were talking about a sophisticated form of tax dodging here whereby the super wealthy can avoid paying tax on income which is earned in Ireland thus depriving the exchequer of tens of millions of euro annually. This is most certainly a matter of public interest.

All four members of U2 are resident in Ireland. Ergo they must pay personal tax here. Here's another thing: U2 are a business which employs, both directly and indirectly, a significant number of people. A lot of ordinary, decent,, hard working tax payers make their living off this band. That means that they have an obligation to run their business as efficiently as possible. If that means they want to use LEGAL tax avoidance strategies, I have no problem with that. The history of rock music is full of globally successful musicians who went bankrupt because they took their eye off the ball when it came to their finances.

"They don't pay their taxes" - are you saying they are not tax compliant because I'd wager that you're completely wrong!

Well if you consider that Apple and Denis O'Brien pay their taxes, then yes, U2 pay their taxes.

If you believe that artificially changing your tax domicile to avoid tax is fine and dandy, then you believe that U2 pay their taxes.

I don't want any of their charity, I want their taxes fully paid.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The scandal and corruption associated with Haughey, Burke, Ahern and others is of a bygone era so it's unfair to relate McGrath with the sins of his political predecessors. He is the party finance spokesman so is fully entitled to comment on this subject. Were talking about a sophisticated form of tax dodging here whereby the super wealthy can avoid paying tax on income which is earned in Ireland thus depriving the exchequer of tens of millions of euro annually. This is most certainly a matter of public interest.

No, it isn't. He's no spring chicken and would have been an active member of the party when they were destroying the country during their last period in power.

All four members of U2 are resident in Ireland. Ergo they must pay personal tax here. Here's another thing: U2 are a business which employs, both directly and indirectly, a significant number of people. A lot of ordinary, decent,, hard working tax payers make their living off this band. That means that they have an obligation to run their business as efficiently as possible. If that means they want to use LEGAL tax avoidance strategies, I have no problem with that. The history of rock music is full of globally successful musicians who went bankrupt because they took their eye off the ball when it came to their finances.

We have no idea where they are tax resident. And I doubt that U2 inc would collapse if it paid tax.

Well if you consider that Apple and Denis O'Brien pay their taxes, then yes, U2 pay their taxes.

If you believe that artificially changing your tax domicile to avoid tax is fine and dandy, then you believe that U2 pay their taxes.

I don't want any of their charity, I want their taxes fully paid.
    Is that a yes or a no to the question asked?

chicorytip wrote: »
    Hang on a sec - arent we still talking about the party led by a man who lodged a donation into his personal bank account?

We have no idea where they are tax resident. And I doubt that U2 inc would collapse if it paid tax.

They live in Ireland. Everyone knows where their houses are. If they really wanted to avoid paying any tax they'd move to the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands or wherever. However they continue to live in Ireland despite the abuse they get from gobshi*es.

• Advertisement

Hang on a sec - arent we still talking about the party led by a man who lodged a donation into his personal bank account?

And the party which suspended the democratic right to vote of the people of THREE constituencies by refusing to hold by - elections. Politics Zimbabwe style, right here in Ireland. And Micheal Martin - leader of the party which some people seem to think have now changed and left corruption behind - was complicit in that corruption.

By the way, I use the word corruption in this thread not just to refer to the obvious bribery and kick backs that we all know about, but the more insidious corruption that comes with the stroke politics FF practice every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

They live in Ireland. Everyone knows where their houses are. If they really wanted to avoid paying any tax they'd move to the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands or wherever. However they continue to live in Ireland despite the abuse they get from gobshi*es.

I've a house in Manchester , but I don't live there.

You really haven't a clue what your talking about.

They don’t necessarily live here all year round. And they have houses everywhere. Domicile and tax laws about residence are complex. I don’t know either way, nor do you.

Allinall wrote: »
    I've a house in Manchester , but I don't live there.

You really haven't a clue what your talking about.

Feel free to enlighten me oh great one. Obviously you have inside information from the Revenue Commissioners that the rest of us don't have.

a pathetic and transparent attempt to pick up a few cheap votes by attacking Bono
    Do you think Bono's tax affairs are going to be a major voter issue come the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eveey

Well said John DoeReMe,

And Bono is only one in a very large group of people who are involved in this.
    But Bono is the one who gets slagged off and insulted and mainly by his own people..The Irish.....any excuse to hate.
    Before this they hated him anyway...and it all boils down to jealousy and Irish Begrudgery because he made it big...yes he can go on abit....but he uses his voice to make a difference... as he can.
    There is no other country in the world who begrudge their own people becoming successful like the Irish...it is small minded.
    Bono is one of many in this...and its his money so his choice. and people forget how much they put into the Irish economy and that he pays high tax on his Irish business. and he donates more to charity than most artists out there.
    And its all legal anyway. you dont have to like it...but people need to stop the hate. Its embarrassing this Irish begrudgery .

Do you think Bono's tax affairs are going to be a major voter issue come the next election?

This is Fianna Fail we're talking about. They'll do ANYTHING to get a vote. Why else would McGrath single out Bono? He's obviously decided that there's popularity to be gained by appealing to the knuckle dragger begrudger brigade.

Denis O'Brien lives in Ireland too, but he doesn't pay his taxes here.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/12/bono-praises-benefits-ireland-tax-rates-corporations

"In 2006 the band moved the company that runs their global music empire to a finance house in the Netherlands so that it would pay less tax than if it had remained in Ireland."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I'm not a member of any political party if that's what you mean. I grew up in the '80's and witnessed the appalling behaviour of the arch shyster Haughey, which coloured my politics from then on. How anyone can vote for these people given their track record of corruption and mismanagement is beyond me but of course that's the Irish for you. Always admiring the cute hoor.

Long winded way of avoiding an answer to what I asked tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

This is Fianna Fail we're talking about. They'll do ANYTHING to get a vote. Why else would McGrath single out Bono? He's obviously decided that there's popularity to be gained by appealing to the knuckle dragger begrudger brigade.

What do you mean, try win voters from SF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement