Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Company car driver looking to insure personal vehicle

• 06-11-2017 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Im a 32 year old male, full clean licence, have a company van the last 8 years and had no need for a car of my own. Im looking to buy a classic car circa 1987 year bmw as a weekend car. Would an insurance company require evidence of accident free driving from my employer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Although you cannot build up a NCB unless the car insurance is purchased in your own name, consider getting a letter from your company with your driving history details, as some places may take the historic driving information into account, even though it's not NCB.

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Kieron

divillybit wrote: »
    Im a 32 year old male, full clean licence, have a company van the last 8 years and had no need for a car of my own. Im looking to buy a classic car circa 1987 year bmw as a weekend car. Would an insurance company  require evidence of accident free driving from my employer?
    Hi divillybit,

Generally speaking; all insurers will ask for proof of your previous driving discount history. If your Named Driving Experience Discount is on a company / fleet policy; I would check with the insurer first if they will accept it, as some insurers may not take discounts from those type of policies.

Regards
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Im a 32 year old male, full clean licence, have a company van the last 8 years and had no need for a car of my own. Im looking to buy a classic car circa 1987 year bmw as a weekend car. Would an insurance company  require evidence of accident free driving from my employer?
    Hi divillybit,

Generally speaking; all insurers will ask for proof of your previous driving discount history. If your Named Driving Experience Discount is on a company / fleet policy; I would check with the insurer first if they will accept it, as some insurers may not take discounts from those type of policies.

Regards
    Kieran
    Thanks for your reply Kieran. If I had evidence of accident free driving from my employer, would Liberty Insurance be one such insurer that would not take a discount from a company/fleet policy? 

Thanks Kieran

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Kieron

Hi divillybit,

Regards
    Kieran
    Thanks for your reply Kieran. If I had evidence of accident free driving from my employer, would Liberty Insurance be one such insurer that would not take a discount from a company/fleet policy? 

Thanks Kieran
    Hi divillybit,

We would accept named driving experience earned on company cars & fleet policies, but we would need a letter from the company (employer) confirming that you had a company car specifically for your own use (not a pool car) and confirmation from the insurance company or broker that the vehicle was insured on a company/fleet policy and that there was no claims against you in that period. 

If you still work for the company and have the sole use of a car; we will NOT give Driving experience discount. You can get more details about Named Driving Discount with us here: https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/help-centre/what-is-a-named-driver-experience/

Going back to your original post; I do need to clarify that we do not cover classic cars though.

Kieran

Advertisement