Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle find help.

Options
  • 04-11-2017 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what would have been held in this glass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone know what would have been held in this glass?

S E is Saorstait Eireann or the Irish Free State. Until 1949 when Ireland became a Republic, this was the official title. Guinness bottles had SE embossed like that and I reckon it is from them.

If it is, they are common enough--for two reasons . First, empties were collected and reused ( thats an old term for recycling) and ,second,the mould for the bottles wasnt changed until well in the the fifties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

IGB on the base is Irish Glass Bottle Company.
    They were in Ringsend. The site is well known in property circles.

Where did you find it?

It's a relic of old decency not worth much but worth holding on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

elperello wrote: »

Where did you find it?

I found a few all in that condition on Portrane beach. It was a good bit down the beach near where some of the old/back gardens of houses washed away in the storm. There was plenty of broken ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

sceach16 wrote: »
    S E is Saorstait Eireann or the Irish Free State. Until 1949 when Ireland became a Republic, this was the official title. Guinness bottles had SE embossed like that and I reckon it is from them.

If it is, they are common enough--for two reasons . First, empties were collected and reused ( thats an old term for recycling) and ,second,the mould for the bottles wasnt changed until well in the the fifties.

I have come across bottles like that from time to time, but they were corked ones.What era would the corked ones be from?...or in other words when did they start crimping the bottles?.

Advertisement