Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get BCH from blockchain.info?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 5:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently I have BTC/BCH on blockchain.info (an imported wallet so i still have my private key) and that only allows you to transfer your BCH into BTC (for a 1% fee and at a rate worse than quoted online by a bit, is that reasonable?), I'd rather just transfer my BCH from that wallet to a BCH wallet and get the cash in $/€. I have a feeling BCH won't get much above 0.1 BTC at any stage, and if BTC price drops so will that of BCH, worsening the ratio). If I sell BCH at $650 I should get more than 0.1 BTC in that scenario by using the BCH cash to buy back into BTC.

Is it as simple as using my private key to import to a BCH only wallet and selling that? Could I do this and not move the BTC from the blockchain.info wallet?
    Actually, I see an option on blockchain.info now to send BCH to a new address, surely that would leave the BTC behind? Any recommendations of where to send for an easy sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Interested in this too. I had BTC in a jaxx wallet at time of fork, does that mean I can get BCH or dd it have to be on the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

Currently I have BTC/BCH on blockchain.info (an imported wallet so i still have my private key) and that only allows you to transfer your BCH into BTC (for a 1% fee and at a rate worse than quoted online by a bit, is that reasonable?), I'd rather just transfer my BCH from that wallet to a BCH wallet and get the cash in $/€. I have a feeling BCH won't get much above 0.1 BTC at any stage, and if BTC price drops so will that of BCH, worsening the ratio). If I sell BCH at $650 I should get more than 0.1 BTC in that scenario by using the BCH cash to buy back into BTC.

Is it as simple as using my private key to import to a BCH only wallet and selling that? Could I do this and not move the BTC from the blockchain.info wallet?
    Actually, I see an option on blockchain.info now to send BCH to a new address, surely that would leave the BTC behind? Any recommendations of where to send for an easy sell?

It looks like you've figured this out, basically when you import your private key to access some other alt coin, just make sure that no BTC resides at that address.

With regards where to sell, go to BCH on coinmarketcap and click Markets to see where you can sell.
    Interested in this too. I had BTC in a jaxx wallet at time of fork, does that mean I can get BCH or dd it have to be on the exchange?

The following is the way I converted my BCH to BTC in the days after the fork.

If you still have BTC in that jaxx wallet I would download a new wallet like Mycelium and create a new receiving BTC address. Then send your BTC from Jaxx to your new address. The reason for this step is that you will be exposing your private key so there would be a risk of losing your BTC after doing the next step.

Now you will just have BCH in the Jaxx wallet. Download Electrum Cash and import the private key from your Jaxx wallet. Then send from Electrum Cash to an exchange to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Dont be too quick to write off Bitcoin cash, think of it as your insurance against Bitcoin segwit going pear shaped which is a possibility. Too much is expected of the lightning network which will not solve the transaction costs, and will not achieve Visa like transactions.
    If anything the transaction costs will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Dont be too quick to write off Bitcoin cash, think of it as your insurance against Bitcoin segwit going pear shaped which is a possibility. Too much is expected of the lightning network which will not solve the transaction costs, and will not achieve Visa like transactions.
    If anything the transaction costs will rise.

What benefit do we get from Bitcoin Cash that we don't get from the 100's of other clones? Why pick Bitcoin Cash over Litecoin for example? Is it because it has the word Bitcoin in it's name?

Also, who are the team of developers for BCH? I would like to know so I can read up about them.

The question I asked myself at the time is if you gave me $XXXX would I rather spend that on BTC or BCH, and in my case the answer was BTC. But I personally am pretty much all in on BTC so take what I say with a handful of salt I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

covfefe wrote: »
    What benefit do we get from Bitcoin Cash that we don't get from the 100's of other clones?

A huge sector of the bitcoin community that does not agree with segwit. As for the clones they are just clones and thats all they have to offer. That said if you`re happy with a clone rather than the original then theirs plenty to choose from.

Today if I was investing $xxxx then it would be Bitcoin, Bitcoin cash ,Neo , Omisego and Tenx all divided up equally with slightly more in Neo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Why pick Bitcoin Cash over Litecoin for example?
    Like you, I am strictly Bitcoin -- no alts, but I hold equal amounts of coin on both chains ............. BTC and BCH. I view it as a hedge.
    If Seqwit2x does not succeed in a fortnight's time, BCH will find support.
    Having Bitcoin 100% on only one chain has some risk, imo. Only one version of Bitcoin will survive the November 13th hardfork -- BTC or Seqwit 2x. Both cannot co-exist. But BCH can survive irrespective of whether BTC or Seqwit2x wins.

This article published today, which makes worrisome reading btw, has reinforced my opinion that the safe approach at the moment is to hold onto our BCH.
    https://bitsonline.com/flippening-bitcoin-cash-possible/

The following is the way I converted my BCH to BTC in the days after the fork.

If you still have BTC in that jaxx wallet I would download a new wallet like Mycelium and create a new receiving BTC address. Then send your BTC from Jaxx to your new address. The reason for this step is that you will be exposing your private key so there would be a risk of losing your BTC after doing the next step.

Now you will just have BCH in the Jaxx wallet. Download Electrum Cash and import the private key from your Jaxx wallet. Then send from Electrum Cash to an exchange to sell.

I'm giving this a god now, not sure I understand 100% so will probably be back with questions!

The reason for this step is that you will be exposing your private key so there would be a risk of losing your BTC after doing the next step.

Can I send to an online wallet like my bitfinex account?

Actually, this is easier, I got it this way, thanks for the help though.

https://decentral.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/202644577-Jaxx-Knowledge-Base

^^

While this looks like it's working, the funds weren't deposited in my account. Each time I log in I get the option
    to claim, but they're never deposited. Disappointing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement