Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Playoff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No bias there of course!

MLB have some serious questions to answer about the ball being used - it's completely destroying this series imo.

It is like watching a game of slow pitch softball with balls flying out all over the place.

MLB have some serious questions to answer about the ball being used - it's completely destroying this series imo.

They're full of explosives it seems

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/man-is-there-something-sketchy-about-these-world-serie-1819961675

Just finished watching the game now and does anyone else think the home plate umpire was all over the place last night? For both teams though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just finished watching the game now and does anyone else think the home plate umpire was all over the place last night? For both teams though.

In fairness, the game lasted more than 5 hours. I would challenge anyone to remain consistent for that amount of time.

• Advertisement

In fairness, the game lasted more than 5 hours. I would challenge anyone to remain consistent for that amount of time.

Maybe. But it was going on all game, including the early innings too.

Having said that, I'm basing my 'criticism' on player reactions and the strike box on the screen so maybe it's not fair to judge the umpire on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Phillies just hired Gabe Kapler as their new manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Maybe. But it was going on all game, including the early innings too.

Having said that, I'm basing my 'criticism' on player reactions and the strike box on the screen so maybe it's not fair to judge the umpire on those.

The ump was poor last night. Gave multiple generous strike three calls early in the game but the strike zone seemed to get smaller as the game went on.

Verlander and Darvish both said that the ball is too slick and they can't throw their sliders properly. Kershaw has given up 5XBHs, all home runs. Something going on with the balls for sure.

Do you reckon Hill will be given a longer leash tonight if he’s pitching well again or will it be twice through the order and out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Do you reckon Hill will be given a longer leash tonight if he’s pitching well again or will it be twice through the order and out again?

With the Dodgers Bullpen being a total mess I can see Hill being left in as long as possible.

• Advertisement

Just caught up on the last few games.. The balls are definitely juiced.. But if the league wants entertaining games... I just wanna see great pitching

Verlander completely dealing through 4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Verlander completely dealing through 4
    Not quite good enough though. Going to be fun tonight.

Looked like a clean game - condensed version didn't show any errors or controversial calls, though I saw one I thought could have been appealed but wasn't.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not quite good enough though. Going to be fun tonight.

Looked like a clean game - condensed version didn't show any errors or controversial calls, though I saw one I thought could have been appealed but wasn't.

Glad we’re getting a game 7, I think this series deserved it.

Nice to have a game last night where the ball wasn’t flying out every inning.

Could be bedlam tonight with all hands on deck and anyone and everyone pitching.

Oh im staying up to watch it tonight.. bring it on

Been off work on holidays for the past two days, and back in tomorrow.
    Need to be up by 7am. How am I supposed to watch this, and function correctly tomorrow?
    Hoping I might watch the first hour, and that should be enough time for the Dodgers to take a 20run lead, and I can sleep comfortably :P

Enjoy anyone who stays up. Been a cracking World Series, and both teams deserve to be champions

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Need to be up by 7am. How am I supposed to watch this, and function correctly tomorrow?
    Hoping I might watch the first hour, and that should be enough time for the Dodgers to take a 20run lead, and I can sleep comfortably :P

Enjoy anyone who stays up. Been a cracking World Series, and both teams deserve to be champions

I stayed up last year for the Cubs-Indians game 7. Finished up just before 6am. Didn't get any sleep. Taxi straight home from work at 5 the next day and slept until 8am the following day :pac:

Would do it again in a heartbeat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Be careful about thinking a game is over...I have few mates who are Pats fans who gave up on the game when the score was 28-3!

Series definitely deserves a game 7 especially as it's been a great series with special mentions for games 2 and 5. The latter was as mental a game I have ever seen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Good start for Astros

Good start for Astros
    Even better now...surprised Darvish wasn't hooked sooner especially when Springer came up to bat...Dodgers have to stop hacking at McCullers breaking balls...

Astros win 5-1. What a series.

George Springer with one of the all time great WS performances. Homered in 4 straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Hindsight is great but the Dodgers shouldn't have started Darvish. He struggled in his last start (some of which was attributed to the slick ball) so I don't understand why they thought it would be different. Should have Kershaw in from the start and then maybe gone to Darvish. Big difference with Astros getting the runs early as it removed the crowd from the equation.

I was avoiding the score so I can watch later so no opening of any news/sports site or the MLB app or this thread but I thought my emails would be safe. But oh no, top of the list was one from Mets.com/shop congratulating the Astros and linking to their section of the shop where you can buy ‘World Series champions’ gear. Dammit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I was avoiding the score so I can watch later so no opening of any news/sports site or the MLB app or this thread but I thought my emails would be safe. But oh no, top of the list was one from Mets.com/shop congratulating the Astros and linking to their section of the shop where you can buy ‘World Series champions’ fear. Dammit!!

Same thing happened me!

Oh well. Congrats to the Astros.

Just a reminder of SI's story from 2014

https://twitter.com/si_mlb/status/925975281575301123

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    Same thing happened me!

Oh well. Congrats to the Astros.

Just watched the condensed game. Excellent game, great series and good for Houston. That town got it bad from the hurricane, the WS win should boost civic morale.

Now, on to the offseason. Only 103 days till the start of spring training!

Congrats to the Astros. They are a quality team all the way through.
    Great to see a team win it all without a crazy payroll too.
    Disappointed for the Dodgers, but I think the Astros are deserving winners.

Could have played a best of 19 series, and it probably would have come down to the final game again.
    Igotadose wrote: »

Now, on to the offseason. Only 103 days till the start of spring training!

Great, spring training will be back before my wedding. I can count down to Spring Training instead :D

• Advertisement

Just a reminder of SI's story from 2014
    https://twitter.com/si_mlb/status/925975281575301123
    And they also got the series MVP for the cover story! It was an easy choice in the end...

I watched last night as it is impossible to avoid results these days, been able to work from home has its advantages :) The Dodgers bats never really got going as the Astros relief was great last night. Well done to them!

Advertisement