Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Playoff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mets name Indians Pitching Coach Mickey Callaway as their new manager

Don't know much about him but I like that they went for the 'unexpected' hire as opposed to just a reboot of some old guy.

Alex Cora was the guy I wanted but he's going to Boston once the WS ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Alex Cora was the guy I wanted but he's going to Boston once the WS ends.

Just confirmed now.. 3 year deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Callaway is an interesting choice. One I didn't expect.

Not sure how to feel about this. Terry Francona raves about him and he's worked wonders for the Indians pitchers.

His lack of managerial experience is a worry and pitching coaches haven't always made great managers.

Regardless, I wish him well. Already can't wait for the 2108 season to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Happy with Cora as manager. Was on the shortstop carousel at the club when the team just couldn't replace Garciaparra. Every year there seemed to be a new player given a shot at it and Cora was decent but unspectacular as I recall.

But it's a unique ballclub and I think the experience of having been a player and winning a World Series (even if he wasn't in the team much) with the Red Sox means he'll bring that little extra over someone coming in fresh.

Main plus seems to be his strength in coaching the young players in Houston. Sox have a good core of young players and some more to come through so it sounds like a positive move overall.

Just looking at the standings, this year makes it 6 years in a row that the Red Sox have finished either top or bottom of the division, 3 times each. All or nothing!

I think any doubt about whether Kershaw can pitch in the playoffs are long gone now.

Nice quick game last night too it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think any doubt about whether Kershaw can pitch in the playoffs are long gone now.

Nice quick game last night too it seems.

Indeed, fastest WS game since 1992 I read.

You would have to heavily favour Houston behind Verlander tonight. I think if they don't win this one it'll be uphill for them.

Indeed, fastest WS game since 1992 I read.

You would have to heavily favour Houston behind Verlander tonight. I think if they don't win this one it'll be uphill for them.

You think :P

Great start for the Dodgers. Kershaw getting a lot of praise this morning. Only watched the highlights so can't comment really.

Hoping the Dodgers can wear out Verlander by 6 innings (Hard to do), and win it against the Bullpen. Dont see Rich Hill getting rocked too bad, so if we're down by 2 and it becomes a bullpen game with 3 innings left, I'd still be very hopeful

I was hoping to avoid the score and watch the 15 minute condensed game on the app this morning but I had to leave the house at about 7:30 this morning and it still wasn’t up so I gave in and looked.

It was there by 8 though so hopefully tomorrow I’ll hold off checking for the result and watch the condensed game when I arrive at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Kershaw was unreal last night. Most strikeouts in a WS game for years. Stro's need a W behind Verlander tonight. Already starting to feel like a special WS.

Real contrast between the 2 games so far - game 1 was pitching duel, game 2 was a real slugfest. Have to say it's advantage Astros now, Dodgers were 3 outs away from the win in a game that Verlander started but just couldn't close the deal.

• Advertisement

Real contrast between the 2 games so far - game 1 was pitching duel, game 2 was a real slugfest. Have to say it's advantage Astros now, Dodgers were 3 outs away from the win in a game that Verlander started but just couldn't close the deal.

What a game. Series definitely on now!

Well done Astros last night.
    Shows what I know. Thought if it went to the Bullpen, then the Dodgers would win easily :(

Anyway, over to Houston tomorrow night - Hope Dodgers can regain the lead

Rumour mill gone into overdrive this morning that the Yankess aren't bringing Girardi back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Rumour mill gone into overdrive this morning that the Yankess aren't bringing Girardi back

He gone.

boccy23 wrote: »
    He gone.

Nice roster for the guy who comes in to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭boccy23

Nice roster for the guy who comes in to replace him.

Don Mattingly???

p.s. first jersey I ever had. #23

Don’t know but the Nats have a vacancy too and another great roster. Although apparently they don’t pay managers well so you might not get the big names looking to go there.

Feck... i was not expecting that but i suppose none of us know whats going on behind the scenes

Don’t know but the Nats have a vacancy too and another great roster. Although apparently they don’t pay managers well so you might not get the big names looking to go there.

Nats look to have ruled out Girardi. Not willing to pay the big bucks to land him

Yuli Gurriel banned for 5 games at the start of next season for his slanted eyes gesture last night. He was a dope and 5 games next season will mean nothing if they go on and win the WS but I think banning him for WS games would have been a bit unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yuli Gurriel banned for 5 games at the start of next season for his slanted eyes gesture last night. He was a dope and 5 games next season will mean nothing if they go on and win the WS but I think banning him for WS games would have been a bit unfair.

It'd get his attention for sure. A ban next year? A lot can happen. MLB being its usual spineless self.

He should have been banned immediately. Complete toothless decision.

He should have been banned immediately. Complete toothless decision.

Should have been banned for the rest of the series and into the start of next season. His apology was an absolute joke.

MLB have sent out the wrong message.

There's a rumor about Joe Girardi and the Phillies. Saw it in a blog, can't find anything else about it. Various articles saying it might be a good fit.

Igotadose wrote: »
    There's a rumor about Joe Girardi and the Phillies. Saw it in a blog, can't find anything else about it. Various articles saying it might be a good fit.

He'd be a good fit in most place I'd say. Apparently he can be a bit intense and treats a Thursday afternoon game in May like it's game 7 of the World Series but is that a bad thing?

ShyMets wrote: »
    Should have been banned for the rest of the series and into the start of next season. His apology was an absolute joke.

MLB have sent out the wrong message.

Actually as was pointed out in various media yesterday, MLB players have an automatic right of appeal against any suspensions. While the suspension is being appealed, the suspension is put on hold. So likely he wouldn't have missed any WS games anyway as the appeals process takes time to exhaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Probably the greatest world series game of all time.

Rekop dog wrote: »

MLB have some serious questions to answer about the ball being used - it's completely destroying this series imo.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »

1986 game 6. Sorry. Greatest world series game ever.

Advertisement