Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The WTF Electrical Photo Thread - NO CHAT - JUST PICS - Read post #1 before posting

• 11-04-2015 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

I robbed this idea from the plumbing thread but think we should post pictures here of any crazy electrical issues we find or things that are just bonkers!

<Mod edit>

A few rules about posting here:

1. No identifying information whatsoever.
    (This also means company names are not to appear in photos).

2. Size photos properly.

3. Let's try to focus on photos and keep chat to a minimum. No quoting pics/posts please. If you would like to discuss something feel free to start a thread.

4. Remember the Forum Charter still applies.

5. If you arent sure about an image then PM the mods to ask before posting.

Enjoy :)

</Mod edit>

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Does it have to be pictures we've taken ourselves?

4P2XpX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I have a perfect picture for this. On a job in Germany a few weeks ago I was testing all the sockets for power, the first socket on a dado had power but none of the rest did, the culprit?

bassey.jpg

Invisible wires?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This shows the importance of crimping the ferrules properly. The cables from the load supply of a soft starter simply fell out :eek:

IMG_2934.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This demonstrates the importance of carrying out an insulation resistance test (Meggar test). This cable was joined in a "submarine joint". Unfortunately the joint was not very good because the neutral was shorting to one of the phases.

IMG_2959.jpg

There was an issue with a popular 63A switch fuse arrangement that was on sale throughout Ireland.
    The 10 sq. link cable failed at the point where the lug was attached, causing it to overheat.

MeltedSwitchFuse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

This demonstrates the importance of periodically checking connections and fuse tightness.

image.jpg

This problem is kind of hard to see.
    The issue was that the earth cable was massively undersized. I think that it was a 75 sq. and each phase had two 185 sq. cables.

IMG_4741.jpeg

DSC_0302_zpsiwvs7qw6.jpg

I've seen a few of these from time to time. Both flavours, Double male, double female and splitters with two males one female.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

It was underground connection.

13498552463_95b5ddf432_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Wall insulated by builder so he extended the socket cables.

image.jpg

Dimmerland_zpso6bhcnun.jpg

>2MW supply
    100A per phase max. load

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

ddfac4e5-1b6a-4b26-9642-185e7b4f96c0_zpspljev1kz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I think so, I had spotted the plugtop turning brown and found it just like that.

At least a gutter bolt would have made a good connection :D

cf40db38-277a-4b51-8e6e-f231267d5121_zps85wgq0qw.jpg

This picture shows open heart surgery on a ACB (air cuit breaker) to replace a failed shunt relay.
    I was a little nervous as the powerful spring in the breaker was charged and it was not possible to discharge prior to working on it :eek:

ACB.jpg

The next picture shows an injection test of the breaker.
    This was carried out at a very low voltage (around 0.01 volts) and a very high current (>2000 amps) to ensure that it operates as per design intent.

Injection.jpg

Carbon%20Arc%20Spots_zpshxtr16em.jpg

These relics will give you sunburn. Circa 1950.

Operators had to follow their target on stage while feeding a carbon arc electrode to maintain the arc watching through a welding mask lense.

Carbon%20Electrode_zpsgw0idmha.jpg

Carbon Electrode & Reflector

Traffo_zpsevm8hfwl.jpg

Transformer ~ 4.5kVA I think

Ammeter_zpsl3kkef6r.jpg

Control panel.

Gubbins_zpsbiveptlf.jpg

Gubbins + another control dofer.

Rear%20Ammeter_zpscup0mslk.jpg

None of this fancy shunt business. Full load wired through the ammeter. ;)

2 x 100kVA phase synced 3 phase gensets. Supplying a 90 kVA distro.

Gauge_zpsdsd9q8jp.jpg

Electrode%20Depth_zpso3myvvoe.jpg

150mm² interconnecting links 30mm² earth electrode buried 4 inches into terra firma. facepalm.gif

Theatre switch room. Installed prior to the advent of plastics.

Switch%20Room_zpsqj4ad5uo.jpg

Still in commission. Currently undergoing a refit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Fixing a shower door yesterday, hit the wall where the shower was, sparks shoot out the bottom of the shower and land in the shower tray. Decided a new shower was in order.

Taking out the old shower found what caused the sparks, a wood screw which was on top of the heating tank shorted the main live connection and the tank.

It was installed before my time, could of easily been fatal if the shower had of been in use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjxab87en7ytfh3/photo%2012-12-2015%2020%2018%2028.jpg?dl=0

372067.JPG

12 Volt

• Advertisement

The Spire Dublin.

373582.JPG

14 x Super Sharpies

395871.jpg

I think we've got our metal doors crossed. Clicky.

Anyone seen one of these scissor lift chargers before?

397720.JPG

405608.JPG

406942.JPG

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

A view from the roof of Covanta's waste to energy facility in Poolbeg, Dublin.
    An impressive facility!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm not a sparks but I reckon there is something wrong here :)

C4nM-UAVYAAwouw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was helping someone tidy up apartment between tenants.
    Storage heaters timeclock and relay. Immersion was a remnant of gold shield, wired back to storage heater circuit. This meant that no boost function during day............but there was and further, during day, the storage heaters could be energised when their spur was switched on!!
    The tails I have removed in image below are 1.5's which were parelleled with power in, and I traced them back to rear of a 13A socket in livingroom!!

So, during day, the storage heater and immersion circuit was supplying the load side of relay and associated circuits via a 1.5 t+e!!

94588877ad5ad1c57ea106cb0d05c4adef199b7026eb5fe67ea741e2bcbc75667804087c.jpg

IMG_0653.PNG.png

What a beauty!

• Advertisement

IMG_6531.jpg

No barriers to prevent someone touching 20,000 volt connections :eek:

Advertisement