Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just back from Faro to Shannon the other day. All 4 of us had different seats as I didn't pay for the pre booking thing. Doesn't really matter anyway, once there isn't small kids involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

toadfly wrote: »
    It really doesn't. You should never ask someone else to move. Pay for seats if you're that bothered.

I never shower before the flight for three days... By asking to move, I am really making them a favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,264 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

embraer170 wrote: »
    Did you go back and forward in their app? Select the special offer priority boarding, go back to seat selection and then go and book it? If you do that, it will still show you the special offer price (2x€2.50) in the final page but charge you the the full price (2x€5) in your confirmation email and bill.

I had the same happen to me almost a year ago. I reported it and never heard back.

Emailed them, got reply back the next day to say they were refunding the difference. Online chat was useless, kept saying it's a live system and prices change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

finbarrk wrote: »
    Just back from Faro to Shannon the other day. All 4 of us had different seats as I didn't pay for the pre booking thing. Doesn't really matter anyway, once there isn't small kids involved.

Well if there is small kids involved surely you would pay for the seats

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well if there is small kids involved surely you would pay for the seats

If there are small kids involved, Ryanair will not sit them away from the adult(s) on the same booking. its their policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If there are small kids involved, Ryanair will not sit them away from the adult(s) on the same booking. its their policy.

From reading their T+Cs, it's not so much that it's their policy, as that the adult must buy a seat for themselves and the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Booked a flight for next month last night. Flying on my own so don't need two seats together. Had a look at seats already booked and all the cheap ones are nearly gone, with a sprinkle left here and there. But the front is empty.

Almost certainly more passengers are now booking a seat at point of purchase. Which appears great for solo travellers, as they can leave it to to the last minute to check in and be 'almost' guaranteed a premium seat.

* noticed the few cheapies that were left were almost exclusively window or aisle, couples obviously book 2 together and that's by booking the middle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

joeysoap wrote: »
    Booked a flight for next month last night. Flying on my own so don't need two seats together. Had a look at seats already booked and all the cheap ones are nearly gone, with a sprinkle left here and there. But the front is empty.

Almost certainly more passengers are now booking a seat at point of purchase. Which appears great for solo travellers, as they can leave it to to the last minute to check in and be 'almost' guaranteed a premium seat.

* noticed the few cheapies that were left were almost exclusively window or aisle, couples obviously book 2 together and that's by booking the middle seat.

It be interesting to see if you go in again at a later time ,,, are the same seats for sale???? I have a theory that there only show 'so many' free to scare people to booking them!! If you see loads free... you might hang in there and delay your selection.

Also... as part of the theory (1) I think they deliberate show some expensive seats again to scare you to book the cheap seats...otherwise you be paying the higher prices!!!

(Just my 2 cents from years of abuse traveling Ryanair!)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Masala wrote: »
    It be interesting to see if you go in again at a later time ,,, are the same seats for sale???? I have a theory that there only show 'so many' free to scare people to booking them!! If you see loads free... you might hang in there and delay your selection.

Also... as part of the theory (1) I think they deliberate show some expensive seats again to scare you to book the cheap seats...otherwise you be paying the higher prices!!!

(Just my 2 cents from years of abuse traveling Ryanair!)

I checked into a flight the other day about 12 hours before departure, there was nothing available only the priority seating so we were given seats near the top, 2 rows apart. The people sitting next to each of us were travelling together so we just swapped with one of them. Next time I'll leave it closer to the time and see if I get the emergency exit seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

We wanted to sit together on two recent R.A. flights.
    The first was not quite full, so we just moved seats. We checked seat availability a couple of days before the second flight and the site said only three seats left (not accurate I know), but most of the seats were available to book.
    So we did an on line check-in for one of us and took the random seat and then did a seperate on line check-in and paid the few euro for the adjoining seat, a sort of two for the price of one I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The first was not quite full, so we just moved seats. We checked seat availability a couple of days before the second flight and the site said only three seats left (not accurate I know), but most of the seats were available to book.
    So we did an on line check-in for one of us and took the random seat and then did a seperate on line check-in and paid the few euro for the adjoining seat, a sort of two for the price of one I suppose.

Thats cute!!!! Now lets keep this low key as they will close that loophole if they cop it!!!!

Ryanair- 0 Passenger- 1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

K.Flyer wrote: »

1). When it says three seats left, it means at that price, after 3 seats it'll go higher in price.

2). If you booked the flights together, you can change seats after check in anyway, so you can leave one allocated seat and move one person to a seat beside it. However it is 50% more expensive to purchase an allocated seat after check-in.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    1). When it says three seats left, it means at that price, after 3 seats it'll go higher in price.

2). If you booked the flights together, you can change seats after check in anyway, so you can leave one allocated seat and move one person to a seat beside it. However it is 50% more expensive to purchase an allocated seat after check-in.

You sure they don't charge you both if you do it this way?

I think thats is a cracking idea by K.Flyer

joeysoap wrote: »
    You sure they don't charge you both if you do it this way?

I think thats is a cracking idea by K.Flyer

Nope, only one of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Lads will ryanair allow me this backpack on board? I plan on only bringing this and nothing else...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01J6E5TCE/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503672827&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+north+face+backpack

Im not advertising anything its just that i'm unsure whether ill be charged extra..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes

Lads will ryanair allow me this backpack on board? I plan on only bringing this and nothing else...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01J6E5TCE/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503672827&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+north+face+backpack

Im not advertising anything its just that i'm unsure whether ill be charged extra..

Even if you were denied it as a second carry on/ backpack (which you wouldn't be) you could just say it was your primary carry on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Thanks lads can i just not combine the two?
    Its the only bag im going to carry and not going to pay for something a cm or two extra for...

Just found this:
    All passengers, over 2 years are entitled to one piece of hand luggage with a maximum weight of 10 kg and maximum dimensions of 55 x 40 x 20 cm. This can be taken free of charge. Also, you can have an additional piece of hand luggage on board for free. The maximum dimensions are 35 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm and the weight limit is 10 kg.

Flew RY on Sunday. Left checkin until about 4 hours before flight.. I got a window seat in row 4 and mrs soap got a window alsle seat in in row 3 . A and F respectively. I thought I might get a swop form somebody in a 'B' seat or 'E' seat but in the end it was not possible as they too were split from their families and the swop was no good to one and would have moved a young chap of about 12 further away from his dad. Flight was great, when I was checking in I noticed that 2b was free and also another f seat, think it was 6. The website showed sold out for a week now but nobody occupied those seats, they remained empty. I suspect RY have to keep a few empty seats now they are selling 'business ' class.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I checked in for a flight recently and got seat 00? Absolutely no one on board had a clue what seat it was or what was going on, so I ended up having to stand at the top of the plane waiting for everyone to get on and then take any old spare seat going. Ended up having to move 3 times with the whole scenario which was far from ideal, but I had no carry on so it wasn't so bad. Everyone was playing musical chairs and it took a while to get going too :(

Has this every happened to anyone or anyone know a reason for this happening?

Also on recently on a different flight I checked in and Lord in heaven all the planets had aligned and I ended up with a magical exit row seat. Free from any fuss and kids right? Wrong! The lady next to me was obviously the grandmother of 2 kids which she ended up minding with one on her lap, and the other standing in the exit row in front of her aisle seat. At one point there was 4 of the same family converging and conversing in that one exit row seat. The parents of the kid were in the exit row in front in the middle and aisle with headphones on and books out, and turned around once or twice to check on the situation. Surely if you have a family with 2 kids and the granny you'd pay for some seats together and not even think about the exit row? I thought I'd get some nice space and quiet in the exit row but nada. Pretty crappy flight in the end :|

Should the staff be hushing them on or telling them to sort it out? Apart from my obvious comfort being ruined :pac: it seems like a pretty bad safety risk considering they're usually on top of everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

-=al=- wrote: »
    I checked in for a flight recently and got seat 00? Absolutely no one on board had a clue what seat it was or what was going on, so I ended up having to stand at the top of the plane waiting for everyone to get on and then take any old spare seat going. Ended up having to move 3 times with the whole scenario which was far from ideal, but I had no carry on so it wasn't so bad. Everyone was playing musical chairs and it took a while to get going too :(

Has this every happened to anyone or anyone know a reason for this happening?

I think you were overbooked.

Yes and the machine should have told them to do that when they scanned the boarding pass. Strange (or maybe the machine did assign a seat number because another passenger never checked-in and the gate staff didn't inform the poster).

Possibly Fred, and they just mightn't have bothered checking in as they knew they weren't travelling. Seats on that flight started cheap but ended up fairly expensive. So possibly they bought early and just wrote them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I didn't think Ryanair overbooked flights....thought it was more common with American airlines.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I didn't think Ryanair overbooked flights....thought it was more common with American airlines.

That's what I thought until recently (and this is what Ryanair says). But I've read pretty convincing posts on this forum explaining that actually they do (although not nearly as much as US airlines).

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

Bob24 wrote: »
    That's what I thought until recently (and this is what Ryanair says). But I've read pretty convincing posts on this forum explaining that actually they do (although not nearly as much as US airlines).

Would this then possibly be a downside of checking in late? Or is it more to do with when you booked the flight? I've been leaving check-in as late as possible to optimise seating but would hate to have no flight at all.

• Advertisement

Mr rebel wrote: »

Ryanair generally only overbook flights with a high number of no-shows, you can tell that you're on an overbooked flight if your boarding pass does not display a seat number.

Advertisement